Difference between Mods and Games

Can you call a game, a mod and the other way round?

• Yes, you can call a game a mod and a mod, a game. No Difference.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't call a game, a mod but you can call a mod, a game.

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Don't call a mod, a game but you can call a game, a mod.

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • No you can't, period.

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
May 31, 2008 at 6:18 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
p35936-0-cb38cb5004473ea6ba5e8f8c2f602940.jpg

May 31, 2008 at 6:24 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
S. P. Gardebiter said:
I now know why you think that I'm rude, because you don't get my jokes :)
I knew you weren't serious when you said you would ban me >.>

I was talking about your statement minus the sarcasm/exaggeration/joke.

And if you really were joking about mods and games, you certainly have a weird way to show it :o

@ Jacob

We're talking about a flamewar in the Crowned thread a LOOOONG time ago when you weren't here.

andwhyisit said:
Agreed.

I can personally confirm that.

Better than Pseudo-Earth vs Earth debates anyway. :D

Oh and btw, Kageryushin has made compliments before about Mods as well saying the things he liked about the mod and why.

Use "j/k" or ":D" or something that gets the joking aspect across. Also it is a bad idea to make banning jokes when you are a moderator, no-one would want to take the chance that you are being serious. Hope this helps.

1. =D

2. Yeah, and he can be nice when he wants to as well. People picked on him because he had a record for a trouble-maker [I'd never read the Objection! thread before the second flamewar]. And yes, he has the ability to complement <_<

3. Disagreement. A CS-based argument is just what I want now :D

4. Oro? Yeah, in Schism and JN and stuff. He complemented me too during the flamewar O_o

5. The jokes are freakin obvious most of the time IMO :/
It's the non-banning jokes that I find harder to decipher. Like when I said his mod could do with an improvement with one of the monster rooms, and he replied something along the lines of STFU and I was like, "oro?".

May 31, 2008 at 7:12 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
lol screw you and your serious internet images.

And yes my humor is weird D:

Edit: I never said "STFU" to you O_o

May 31, 2008 at 7:50 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Roonil Wazlib said:
Don't bother, it's already over >_>

...for the time being at least.

Aww come on give it a break =="

May 31, 2008 at 8:34 PM
/end
You two need to just meet irl and duke it out.

May 31, 2008 at 8:43 PM
Luls
MetaSeraphim said:
You two need to just meet irl and duke it out.

No I mean give Roonil a break like, you know, *snap*

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:46 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
3. Disagreement. A CS-based argument is just what I want now :D
You are so on! :D

If you consider the millions of years that it would take for rabbits to evolve into Mimiga how could humans even look human or not be extinct yet or not half-destroy the planet with polution yet? Now think about the gaudi, the number of stages of evolution to get it that big, lets multiply the millions of years again. Now lets look at the evolution of Rabbits to Mimiga, it removes the very thing that keeps them safe from predators, the back legs that give them their speed. The idea is that there are slight changes in each creature born and the ones with good changes survive to reproduce while the others with bad changes are culled by natural selection. Small changes eventually build upon each other over millions of years in a process called evolution. Rabbit to Mimiga via evolution is simply not possible.

Jun 1, 2008 at 5:17 AM
Respwnt
Garde said:
Edit: I never said "STFU" to you O_o
Oro? lol I was too lazy to check what you said, so I said that. But I remember that it was in the '10 things that ruin your mod' thread, I said your mod needs an improvement somewhere and you deliberately put in an exceedingly arrogant reply as a joke, so I was reduced to sneaking out of the situation -.-"

lawl yeah, it does seem a bit lame now that I fell for it <_<

Metal Ox said:
No I mean give Roonil a break like, you know, *snap*
Get me one >_>

andwhy said:

If you consider the millions of years that it would take for rabbits to evolve into Mimiga how could humans even look human or not be extinct yet or not half-destroy the planet with polution yet? Now think about the gaudi, the number of stages of evolution to get it that big, lets multiply the millions of years again. Now lets look at the evolution of Rabbits to Mimiga, it removes the very thing that keeps them safe from predators, the back legs that give them their speed. The idea is that there are slight changes in each creature born and the ones with good changes survive to reproduce while the others with bad changes are culled by natural selection. Small changes eventually build upon each other over millions of years in a process called evolution. Rabbit to Mimiga via evolution is simply not possible.

No, if you read the Chaco thread again you'll remember that my primary argument was the possibility that magic/the island/mimigas/gaudi were unknown phenomena until some satallite or whatever noticed strage disappearances around the island's rough location and then everyone on the Earth realised magic does exist.

Okay, granted that evolution is very unlikely, but I read a pokemon fanfiction that in introduction says the pokemon world was the past of the Earth, so that could apply here albeit being rather far-fetched.

Jun 2, 2008 at 7:53 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
Okay, granted that evolution is very unlikely, but I read a pokemon fanfiction that in introduction says the pokemon world was the past of the Earth, so that could apply here albeit being rather far-fetched.
Lets leave silliness like that back in the realm of fanfiction. :D

Roonil Wazlib said:
No, if you read the Chaco thread again you'll remember that my primary argument was the possibility that magic/the island/mimigas/gaudi were unknown phenomena until some satallite or whatever noticed strage disappearances around the island's rough location and then everyone on the Earth realised magic does exist.
What about the varying sentient races of the crownbearers? The medieval setting of ballos' past? The ability to actually SEE the island from a distance despite it being cloaked as you said? The differences in physics and gravity?

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:10 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
Lets leave silliness like that back in the realm of fanfiction. :D

What about the varying sentient races of the crownbearers, the medieval setting of ballos' past, the ability to actually SEE the island from a distance, and last of all the differences in physics and gravity.
1. Agreed, but it isn't impossible.

a. Those races might've existed on the island at the time. We can't really say for sure how big or small the island is, or whether some part of it got destroyed

b. The island existed till that long back

c. Not if it's disguised like Diagon Alley and Hogwarts are.

d. I've already mentioned that zsince it's so high up, it has different forces (The Core, Magic, whatnot) acting on and countering normal gravitation, leading to different physics altogether.

I've been through all this except for the first point, and I'd start a new thread about this but I want it to be a poll so until I learn how to make one, I can't be starting it :D

Jun 2, 2008 at 12:01 PM
Luls
Eh... what has the characteristics of CS gotta do with this topic.... >_>

New thread plix

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:23 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Roonil Wazlib said:
4. Oro? Yeah, in Schism and JN and stuff. He complemented me too during the flamewar O_o
A little minor thing here – "complement" means something similar to the verb "complete". The word that should be used in this context is "compliment", with an I.

andwhyisit said:

Anything is possible. :D :D Rabbits evolving to mimigas? If the major predators of the rabbits disappeared for some reason, or the rabbits were isolated in some place where the predators could not find them, it is theoretically possible. The Gaudis probably began preying on the mimigas some time after they reached their "current" form. At which point, the mimigas could probably fend them off with weapons.

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:50 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Celtic Minstrel said:
A little minor thing here – "complement" means something similar to the verb "complete". The word that should be used in this context is "compliment", with an I.

Anything is possible. :p ;) Rabbits evolving to mimigas? If the major predators of the rabbits disappeared for some reason, or the rabbits were isolated in some place where the predators could not find them, it is theoretically possible. The Gaudis probably began preying on the mimigas some time after they reached their "current" form. At which point, the mimigas could probably fend them off with weapons.
You forgot the millions of years before evolution allows them to use weapons. Evolution is not instantaneous but horribly slow with minor changes each birth. Every small change has to be a benefit to the survival of the creature or it will die out. Evolution is a continuous thing, there are no real stages in evolution, just small changes in birth that are either bred back into the population (good change) or are removed by natural selection (bad change) and over millions of years (should be measured in generations but whatever) those small changes build onto each other to make the larger changes we normally view as evolution. Not even rabbits can last millennia let alone millions of years with a defect that makes them vulnerable to predators.

Also a lack of predators means rabbit infestation until they starve or move to an area where there are predators while looking for food.

Sep 28, 2008 at 12:15 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I'm not too sure I would classify a mod as a game...
I mean, people go through alot of work to create a game, and then someone else edits the maps or graphics and calls it their own game?
It's true that a game is pretty loosely defined as something you play for leisure, but still.
Also, calling a game a mod dosen't make any sense. The only time it MIGHT make sense is if it was based on someone else's engine, but i'm not even sure I would still call it a mod.

Edit: I swear those misplaced commas are going to drive me insane.