All Hallows Eve - Update v2.0.0!

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:32 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
All Hallows Eve
A Spooky Cave Story Adventure!

Latest version: 0.2.0.0

Two years after they defeated Ballos, Quote and Curly have settled into their lives on the Surface. On this particular night, Quote and Curly have been invited to a Halloween party! When Curly leaves to get some things to bring to the party, Quote is tasked with journeying to Arthur's House alone. Along the way he will encounter friends and foes both old and new. Will he get to the party on time?
upload_2016-10-24_21-23-37.png
upload_2016-10-24_21-26-39.png

Download v2.0.0 - Updated Version
-Added new weapons available for trade.
-Extended dialogue for certain characters.
-Removed Papyrus cameo.
-Added an easter egg at the top of the Balcony.
-Darkened certain tiles in the PrtSand tileset.
-Extended ending scene!
-Bug fixes, additional modifications, new content, etc.

Download v1.0.0
- Release Version
-Fully completed!
-Runs at 60 FPS!
-Includes a folder full of ORGs at no extra charge as well as a modified OrgView!*

Special thanks to the following people for helping to make this mod a reality:
*The ORGs included in the folder may be used as long as credit is given where it is due.

Happy Halloween and I hope you enjoy the mod!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2016 at 7:06 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Alright, I don't do this too often but the credits/custom ico's/and fact that you actually changed the version number in the .exe all point toward that you know what you are doing.

I am not used to 60 fps... and it seems we have a near-useless gun, so we'll see how that goes.
Also, nice joke about curly beating you to the destination.
So we have thriller playing... okay.
The 3rd bat that you encounter (black_diving) changes color rather than using diving down sprite,
...though I'm guessing it was for fitting as many sprites into the sheet as possible,
...considering we have beetles disguised as bats.
Overall this random-direction polar star hack that was in BL's hackinator seems gimmicky more than useful,
though on a bright side you are generous with health and the entities are easy to dodge, so it balances out.
Crosswalk was a cakewalk, but I fear with my recent hours of speedrunning my own mod at 50FPS,
...any serious parkour is going to kill me.
Speaking of which, it seems you have an elevator. I just finished working on my own for Enthology
...(well... actually there are two elevators that use entirely different mechanics/entities, so to clarify I finished working on the 2nd set/version)
...anyways... let's see how this goes.
Also, usually you don't put a save point in open danger (in front of the tower),
...but upon testing it out it seems you made it so that actually loading from it keeps you safe from basu's and such... good job.
Hey look, a balrog fight in a room almost exactly set up like malco's room.
and it seems to be rather unfair with the gun you have.
Wait... just noticed the gun does -50 and -20 for lvl's 2 and 3 respectively.... that's a tradeoff I can stand behind.
I actually beat balrog on the second try, spamming him with invincibility frames is the best way to go.
And I like that victory music! I haven't really talked about it, but so far it's been pretty great.
I am really liking the elevator back home (I opened up OrgView at this point).
Random Malco clones in the background of the chaba room. Also yeah for blade.
*finds out that the elevator is really just a scripted cutscene*
Well then, I don't know what I was expecting, would probably be a HUGE elevator ride in real-time all the way up to the island.
And... the music stops. Spooky.
This save spot before entering the catacombs has this useless overhang that I want to climb but can't... awww.
Seems you combined the sandzone and grasstown spritesheets. Cool.
BUG: Found what I consider a problem. These pillars look solid but you pass through them.
...I HIGHLY suggest you try to darken the color/use the color scheme of other background tiles. It threw me for a loop and now I am at 4 HP.
I do however commend you for using a nonlinear map design for this,
...there's nothing wrong with linear maps, but playing mods where you just go from A to B can get tiring.
Sword required for this room? Was there an option? Does this mean one can get alternate gameplay for taking a challenge?
...I'm a bit too lazy to try it out, but if the sword is optional and there is a payoff for doing things difficultly, good job!
Regarding the Totems of flight or whatever, you should really remove the spikes when you spawn the save point
...(like the original sisters fight), I had 8 HP left and a careless person could mess up going around the edges of the platform.
Huh, it seems this fight was required for opening a door, leading me to believe my earlier statement was false.
OH... I see, so you need to enter these challenge areas in order, which I've accidentally done.
...Okay. I misunderstood the situation. I'm guessing 0.8 is sky-master then.
BUG: The booster 0.8 auto-equips with <EQ+, but in the inventory it doesn't know this.
...You have to also do a <FL+ on whatever number (iirc it's in the 700's) it uses in the inventory script to check this.
...That way, it will correctly ask to dequip it the first time you select it.
uhh.... something is wrong with that ballos sprite. It looks like it was squished.
And instantly died because something spawned on top of me. I understand though.
...My Chinfish arena/boss was pretty similar, had the same issues.
...I do have to track all the way back there though...
...and again... I'm not asking for a refill, but maybe a few hearts right outside
...(as opposed to randomly underneath the central refill/save station)
Okay... so I finally beat the arena after heading over there four times and I found
BUG: Somehow a skull guy was alive after the arena was over, but was in the corner?
p356161-0-hallowbug.png
This seems like one of those weird-to-reconstruct bugs, so I'd recommend just <DNA'ing the entity-types in the victory script
It's overkill but it honestly works when you don't need them to exist anymore.
Those ballos sprites still seem off. I'm positive you did something with misery to get it to semi-work.

That's all I have time for. I'll play the rest tomorrow.

Alright, from the empty Ballos arena, here we go again.
So we have the fight with the red green ogre. I do like the addition of the bat generator and save point.
...Adds the ability to get health and EXP while dodging the ogre.
Oh wait, that was a pre-boss. Okay. Liking this zombeat though.
I would suggest using skipflags to make the the collapsing bridge and Toroko cutscene faster.
...The main part is having to <WAI for the zombie colons to appear.
...It could be worse though, so I'll give you that.
Alright, nice closer for Toroko, and we're finally at the balcony. Sweet.
Loving this balcony wind fortress mashup.
And it's an undertale guy.... I should probably play that game...
Still have the "That's all folks" sign, neato. You gave these capsules a TON of health too.
Yes, after that adventure, I AM ready to finally arrive at the party.
...And... well that was a somewhat lackluster ending. Didn't even get to talk to anybody. Oh well.
...there is a sequel hook though... cool. Nice Jenka X Seal Chamber too.

Overall that was pretty good. Great job!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2016 at 8:45 PM
Alright, I don't do this too often but the credits/custom ico's/and fact that you actually changed the version number in the .exe all point toward that you know what you are doing.

I am not used to 60 fps... and it seems we have a near-useless gun, so we'll see how that goes.
Also, nice joke about curly beating you to the destination.
So we have thriller playing... okay.
The 3rd bat that you encounter (black_diving) changes color rather than using diving down sprite,
...though I'm guessing it was for fitting as many sprites into the sheet as possible,
...considering we have beetles disguised as bats.
Overall this random-direction polar star hack that was in BL's hackinator seems gimmicky more than useful,
though on a bright side you are generous with health and the entities are easy to dodge, so it balances out.
Crosswalk was a cakewalk, but I fear with my recent hours of speedrunning my own mod at 50FPS,
...any serious parkour is going to kill me.
Speaking of which, it seems you have an elevator. I just finished working on my own for Enthology
...(well... actually there are two elevators that use entirely different mechanics/entities, so to clarify I finished working on the 2nd set/version)
...anyways... let's see how this goes.
Also, usually you don't put a save point in open danger (in front of the tower),
...but upon testing it out it seems you made it so that actually loading from it keeps you safe from basu's and such... good job.
Hey look, a balrog fight in a room almost exactly set up like malco's room.
and it seems to be rather unfair with the gun you have.
Wait... just noticed the gun does -50 and -20 for lvl's 2 and 3 respectively.... that's a tradeoff I can stand behind.
I actually beat balrog on the second try, spamming him with invincibility frames is the best way to go.
And I like that victory music! I haven't really talked about it, but so far it's been pretty great.
I am really liking the elevator back home (I opened up OrgView at this point).
Random Malco clones in the background of the chaba room. Also yeah for blade.
*finds out that the elevator is really just a scripted cutscene*
Well then, I don't know what I was expecting, would probably be a HUGE elevator ride in real-time all the way up to the island.
And... the music stops. Spooky.
This save spot before entering the catacombs has this useless overhang that I want to climb but can't... awww.
Seems you combined the sandzone and grasstown spritesheets. Cool.
BUG: Found what I consider a problem. These pillars look solid but you pass through them.
...I HIGHLY suggest you try to darken the color/use the color scheme of other background tiles. It threw me for a loop and now I am at 4 HP.
I do however commend you for using a nonlinear map design for this,
...there's nothing wrong with linear maps, but playing mods where you just go from A to B can get tiring.
Sword required for this room? Was there an option? Does this mean one can get alternate gameplay for taking a challenge?
...I'm a bit too lazy to try it out, but if the sword is optional and there is a payoff for doing things difficultly, good job!
Regarding the Totems of flight or whatever, you should really remove the spikes when you spawn the save point
...(like the original sisters fight), I had 8 HP left and a careless person could mess up going around the edges of the platform.
Huh, it seems this fight was required for opening a door, leading me to believe my earlier statement was false.
OH... I see, so you need to enter these challenge areas in order, which I've accidentally done.
...Okay. I misunderstood the situation. I'm guessing 0.8 is sky-master then.
BUG: The booster 0.8 auto-equips with <EQ+, but in the inventory it doesn't know this.
...You have to also do a <FL+ on whatever number (iirc it's in the 700's) it uses in the inventory script to check this.
...That way, it will correctly ask to dequip it the first time you select it.
uhh.... something is wrong with that ballos sprite. It looks like it was squished.
And instantly died because something spawned on top of me. I understand though.
...My Chinfish arena/boss was pretty similar, had the same issues.
...I do have to track all the way back there though...
...and again... I'm not asking for a refill, but maybe a few hearts right outside
...(as opposed to randomly underneath the central refill/save station)
Okay... so I finally beat the arena after heading over there four times and I found
BUG: Somehow a skull guy was alive after the arena was over, but was in the corner?
p356161-0-hallowbug.png
This seems like one of those weird-to-reconstruct bugs, so I'd recommend just <DNA'ing the entity-types in the victory script
It's overkill but it honestly works when you don't need them to exist anymore.
Those ballos sprites still seem off. I'm positive you did something with misery to get it to semi-work.

That's all I have time for. I'll play the rest tomorrow.

Alright, from the empty Ballos arena, here we go again.
So we have the fight with the red green ogre. I do like the addition of the bat generator and save point.
...Adds the ability to get health and EXP while dodging the ogre.
Oh wait, that was a pre-boss. Okay. Liking this zombeat though.
I would suggest using skipflags to make the the collapsing bridge and Toroko cutscene faster.
...The main part is having to <WAI for the zombie colons to appear.
...It could be worse though, so I'll give you that.
Alright, nice closer for Toroko, and we're finally at the balcony. Sweet.
Loving this balcony wind fortress mashup.
And it's an undertale guy.... I should probably play that game...
Still have the "That's all folks" sign, neato. You gave these capsules a TON of health too.
Yes, after that adventure, I AM ready to finally arrive at the party.
...And... well that was a somewhat lackluster ending. Didn't even get to talk to anybody. Oh well.
...there is a sequel hook though... cool. Nice Jenka X Seal Chamber too.

Overall that was pretty good. Great job!

Thanks for taking the time to review it so nicely! I appreciate it. I will fix those tiles in the next update which I'll do for sprites, bugs, etc...

I DID actually notice that bug with the <DNA, it's because the Crow + Skull Head entity spawns a Skull Head after the crow dies. I think switching the order of the <DNAs might fix it.

The XP capsules have so much health because originally you were going to have to shoot a modified version of those instead of fighting the buffed Skeletons in each section of the Ballos fight. But they die before they lose all their HP so it didn't work and I never checked to see what their original HP was.

Speaking of the Ballos fight, he looks "squashed" so that he fits in the Doctor sprite sheet. There's no way to get Ballos to have more than just the standard "eyes closed" animation with his normal sprites. When I make the sequel, I will need to have some custom sprites made for a "Ballos - Cutscene" type character. But Ballos is actually the largest standard NPC in the game which causes problems when he's a major character. Also, I'm thinking of having some sort of spawn indicator for the enemies, like setting a specific spot or tile to denote that they're going to spawn there.

I don't actually know how the skipflags work, I'll look into that.

I might think about extending the ending. I didn't really know how to wrap it up so I just went for the quick and simple approach like Pixel did.

I'm thinking about adding more collectible items. For starters, if you manage to complete the battle with the Sisters without picking up the Blade, I could give a special reward and an additional weapon. Also, I think I might put the Missile Launcher on that platform in the save room. Make it serve a purpose and reward the player with something other than progression.

I might add some static hearts at the entrances to each boss arena and then remove the ones scattered throughout the rest of the map. It would make more sense.

Holy fuck, a mod with promise! (yesss!)
-Oh, shit. New icons? #hype
-"Sakamotoes" That's not funny.
-Item get music is nice.
-Why is "City" capitalised?
-Oh my fucking god it's Thriller. Haha!
-Wait, you really do want me to fight enemies with the random star? Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu--
-Like maybe if the thing also shot like the Machine Gun, or could have 6 projectiles on-screen at the same time?
-Yeah, still not digging this gun. Well, I'm at the party...
-Wait, I have to fucking fight Balrog with this random number generator? ... -_-
-Oh, and you gave me one of the bosses where he shoots projectiles.
-... and the Blade does as much damage as the random number generator on level 1? You might was well let me toss the RNG then.
-Catacombs: see if you can dodge/destroy all these projectiles when you only have an RNG and a 1 projectile weapon. THANKS. AND LET'S MAKE THE PILLARS BACKGROUND TILES, BUT NOT MAKE THEM DARKER! YEAH!
-See, in mods I avoid damage wherever I can. But here it seems to be nearly impossible.
-You except me to fight the Sisters when my best weapon doesn't have enough range to reach them... and my other gun hits every 20 shots, no exaggeration. And NO, the Booster 0.8 is no consolation.
-And the blade level 3 is still shit, but it's my only hope for killing the Sisters.
-Killed the sisters, I'm done for now.

The Blade at Level 3 is downright overpowered in the Sister's boss fight. It completely negates their projectiles. In fact, with the Level 3 Blade, you'll wreck most enemies in the Catacombs. The Blade is a more reliable weapon but has less than half the damage potential of the RNG-Star. If you get the RNG-star to level 3 you can invicibility-spam your way through most of the bosses. EXCEPT, of course, the Sisters :D I might try extending the platform by one on either side though, it'd ease the burden of the boss fight.

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:28 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Nothing better than a CS mod to help me get over the flu.

there had better be at least one skeleton joke in this

p356163-0-2fwbaai.png

your text starts to cut off on the second line

p356163-1-qrm7ysz.png

I can't remember if this was the original description or not, but I'll let it slide for now

p356163-2-uyit4h1.png

"occassion" should be "occasion"

I can understand including hacks that are cool and spice up gameplay, but why make the Polar Star fire at random angles and distances? It's only going to make combat unnecessarily difficult.

at least it hits hard

p356163-3-olzmijl.png

this is the anti-fun

p356163-4-eun7wuk.png

this bat behaves like the bats that divebomb you, so why doesn't it have the usual sprite for when it's divebombing?

even if the Spooky Star suffers from un-fun levels of random spray, it doing 30 damage per shot at level 3 seems a little much to me

p356163-5-h3ydn5j.png

ah yes, a place where one misstep equals instant death
and no save between the start of the mod and now
my favorite

p356163-6-u9rpvnb.png

looks more like a lunchbox to me

p356163-7-8kbisrp.png

since when was fighting necessary to determine costume quality?

p356163-8-nrzjxyg.png

there's an unnecessary space in the Blade's name

p356163-9-grlmk45.png

what
did he just drop it or something?
you'd think he'd be a little more careful with something that contain's the soul of someone he knew

that's an awful lot of text after the Blade is obtained
feels kind of shoehorned in, honestly

p356163-10-frimnnm.png

this is definitely the same description, but I'll let it slide since you DID imply that it's the very same Blade from the original game

p356163-11-46oi21z.png

it feels like "shaft" should also be capitalized if you capitalized "Elevator"

I guess it's just weird having just Elevator capitalized, but whatever

>spooky scary skeletons ORG
10/10

oh boy
an abundance of -10 spikes when I only have 30 HP
my favorite

p356163-12-fguxpw9.png

ok see
the Blade wasn't made entirely by King's soul
that would be weird
it just happened to suck up his soul or something when you get it after he dies

odd choice of music in the Black Angel's Altar
Gestation?

p356163-13-ccqiyjh.png

"booster" should be capitalized and possibly have "v0.8" added to it

While I didn't think to test it myself (along with not wanting to go through the Catacombs more than I had to), I think that it's possible to fall onto the spikes of the Black Angel's Altar arena after you beat the Totems of Flight. Just kill them in midair, fall down thanks to the <KEY that happens upon killing them, and immediately take an unavoidable 10 damage upon finishing the victory fanfare.

there wasn't any <SOU for the wall that appears in the Arena of Fire

p356163-14-5pedj9e.png

hello shrunken ballos

Also, how is Ballos here when this clearly takes place after the Best Ending in Cave Story? Last I checked, he's supposed to be deader than dead.

p356163-15-h2gfz56.png

oh boy, it's this meme again

oh boy, no <PRIs for this Arena of Fire fight

p356163-16-6vjnpvx.png

but that's wrong
even though death felt pretty bad as shown by the escape sequence in the Best Ending, Ballos was basically asking for it

p356163-17-icbu6ap.png

I kind of blended the final Skeleton before I died a second time, and some things happened.
This is one of them.

p356163-18-dtaaeh5.png

ok fam

it may just be me not paying enough attention, but the collapsing bridge happened a little suddenly
unless you're already holding right as soon as you regain control, you're going to end up falling

p356163-19-wdlndll.png

>grim reaper
>not a single scythe
>only reskinned Red Ogre projectiles
shaking my head

p356163-20-m5ddty3.png

there needs to be a space after "remember,"

p356163-21-puha0kh.png

it was the Doctor who killed King

p356163-22-mysfeob.png

gg ez

p356163-23-lgw8ud0.png

ellipses have three periods

and the bridge is back because reasons

p356163-24-cmqjev1.png

??? years later and everything still looks exactly the same
except for a rather straight tunnel

p356163-25-uwxa1co.png

10/10

p356163-26-zdsga7i.png

this would have been the perfect place for a spooky easter egg
so many missed opportunities

p356163-27-qzrncid.png

what
why are these so beefy

p356163-28-zzaakfd.png

p356163-29-yij2vcy.jpg

of course
o f c o u r s e

p356163-30-to4xsex.png

>his thoughts aren't in all caps
you can't even make unnecessary references to undertale correctly

well
that was a minute or two of my life that i'll never get back

oh
so that's the end

Not too bad of a mod, though it could've used a little more spookiness in my opinion. I really liked the custom music you added in, including the obligatory Spooky Scary Skeletons ORG. The semi-openness of the Catacombs was also a nice touch, though it did take me a little bit of wandering and dying on -10 spikes before I found the correct path.

There are a few issues with the mod, though. The first glaring problem is the Spooky Star, or, as you describe it, the "RNG-Star". Any and all combat with it was a major chore; if I want to shoot at something in front of me, I don't want to spend upwards of 10 seconds firing in every other direction but forward. You may have scaled up the damage of its shots to help compensate for how hard it is to use, but I don't think it was enough to salvage it. The second, albeit minor, issue is the inconsistencies with the lore. Normally I wouldn't care as much, but you went through all the trouble of pushing that this happens some time after the events of Cave Story only to have the player meet with and get attacked by Ballos, who should be dead and gone after Cave Story. Finally, there's that bit near the end with a certain skeleton. It may be just a pet peeve of mine, but I frankly don't see the point in referencing Undertale in this case; it sticks out like a sore thumb, really.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2016 at 1:59 AM
Nothing better than a CS mod to help me get over the flu.

there had better be at least one skeleton joke in this

p356163-0-2fwbaai.png

your text starts to cut off on the second line

p356163-1-qrm7ysz.png

I can't remember if this was the original description or not, but I'll let it slide for now

p356163-2-uyit4h1.png

"occassion" should be "occasion"

I can understand including hacks that are cool and spice up gameplay, but why make the Polar Star fire at random angles and distances? It's only going to make combat unnecessarily difficult.

at least it hits hard

p356163-3-olzmijl.png

this is the anti-fun

p356163-4-eun7wuk.png

this bat behaves like the bats that divebomb you, so why doesn't it have the usual sprite for when it's divebombing?

even if the Spooky Star suffers from un-fun levels of random spray, it doing 30 damage per shot at level 3 seems a little much to me

p356163-5-h3ydn5j.png

ah yes, a place where one misstep equals instant death
and no save between the start of the mod and now
my favorite

p356163-6-u9rpvnb.png

looks more like a lunchbox to me

p356163-7-8kbisrp.png

since when was fighting necessary to determine costume quality?

p356163-8-nrzjxyg.png

there's an unnecessary space in the Blade's name

p356163-9-grlmk45.png

what
did he just drop it or something?
you'd think he'd be a little more careful with something that contain's the soul of someone he knew

that's an awful lot of text after the Blade is obtained
feels kind of shoehorned in, honestly

p356163-10-frimnnm.png

this is definitely the same description, but I'll let it slide since you DID imply that it's the very same Blade from the original game

p356163-11-46oi21z.png

it feels like "shaft" should also be capitalized if you capitalized "Elevator"

I guess it's just weird having just Elevator capitalized, but whatever

>spooky scary skeletons ORG
10/10

oh boy
an abundance of -10 spikes when I only have 30 HP
my favorite

p356163-12-fguxpw9.png

ok see
the Blade wasn't made entirely by King's soul
that would be weird
it just happened to suck up his soul or something when you get it after he dies

odd choice of music in the Black Angel's Altar
Gestation?

p356163-13-ccqiyjh.png

"booster" should be capitalized and possibly have "v0.8" added to it

While I didn't think to test it myself (along with not wanting to go through the Catacombs more than I had to), I think that it's possible to fall onto the spikes of the Black Angel's Altar arena after you beat the Totems of Flight. Just kill them in midair, fall down thanks to the <KEY that happens upon killing them, and immediately take an unavoidable 10 damage upon finishing the victory fanfare.

there wasn't any <SOU for the wall that appears in the Arena of Fire

p356163-14-5pedj9e.png

hello shrunken ballos

Also, how is Ballos here when this clearly takes place after the Best Ending in Cave Story? Last I checked, he's supposed to be deader than dead.

p356163-15-h2gfz56.png

oh boy, it's this meme again

oh boy, no <PRIs for this Arena of Fire fight

p356163-16-6vjnpvx.png

but that's wrong
even though death felt pretty bad as shown by the escape sequence in the Best Ending, Ballos was basically asking for it

p356163-17-icbu6ap.png

I kind of blended the final Skeleton before I died a second time, and some things happened.
This is one of them.

p356163-18-dtaaeh5.png

ok fam

it may just be me not paying enough attention, but the collapsing bridge happened a little suddenly
unless you're already holding right as soon as you regain control, you're going to end up falling

p356163-19-wdlndll.png

>grim reaper
>not a single scythe
>only reskinned Red Ogre projectiles
shaking my head

p356163-20-m5ddty3.png

there needs to be a space after "remember,"

p356163-21-puha0kh.png

it was the Doctor who killed King

p356163-22-mysfeob.png

gg ez

p356163-23-lgw8ud0.png

ellipses have three periods

and the bridge is back because reasons

p356163-24-cmqjev1.png

??? years later and everything still looks exactly the same
except for a rather straight tunnel

p356163-25-uwxa1co.png

10/10

p356163-26-zdsga7i.png

this would have been the perfect place for a spooky easter egg
so many missed opportunities

p356163-27-qzrncid.png

what
why are these so beefy

p356163-28-zzaakfd.png

p356163-29-yij2vcy.jpg

of course
o f c o u r s e

p356163-30-to4xsex.png

>his thoughts aren't in all caps
you can't even make unnecessary references to undertale correctly

well
that was a minute or two of my life that i'll never get back

oh
so that's the end

Not too bad of a mod, though it could've used a little more spookiness in my opinion. I really liked the custom music you added in, including the obligatory Spooky Scary Skeletons ORG. The semi-openness of the Catacombs was also a nice touch, though it did take me a little bit of wandering and dying on -10 spikes before I found the correct path.

There are a few issues with the mod, though. The first glaring problem is the Spooky Star, or, as you describe it, the "RNG-Star". Any and all combat with it was a major chore; if I want to shoot at something in front of me, I don't want to spend upwards of 10 seconds firing in every other direction but forward. You may have scaled up the damage of its shots to help compensate for how hard it is to use, but I don't think it was enough to salvage it. The second, albeit minor, issue is the inconsistencies with the lore. Normally I wouldn't care as much, but you went through all the trouble of pushing that this happens some time after the events of Cave Story only to have the player meet with and get attacked by Ballos, who should be dead and gone after Cave Story. Finally, there's that bit near the end with a certain skeleton. It may be just a pet peeve of mine, but I frankly don't see the point in referencing Undertale in this case; it sticks out like a sore thumb, really.

You didn't Spoiler the section that has a lot of spoilers (namely the entirety of the part you left out of the spoilers). You should probably fix that.

I had mixed thoughts about the length of Ballos' opening dialogue. I think I need to extend his monologue at the beginning and elaborate on why he's "back". For your personal reference, Ballos has returned because his soul doesn't belong to himself anymore. As such, when he "died" his soul became trapped with whatever dark entity now possesses his soul. Now all that Ballos has left is hatred for Quote, albeit it's misplaced because of the circumstances you outlined (Ballos WANTED to die). But Ballos is so far gone in his insanity that he can't rationalize anything anymore, he is just pure hatred. I think I need to extend Ballos' dialogue to reflect these things better.

I can see where people find the Spooky Star annoying, but there's a definite strategy to using it. It's a close range weapon. Even though it CAN shoot at long range, it's really meant to do a ton of damage at a range where the shots practically can't fly anywhere but the enemy.

The Undertale reference I felt was almost necessary. You may not like it, but I guarantee that SOMEBODY would've mentioned the lack of Undertale skeletons if I hadn't included that one short reference. Besides... skeletons. Halloween. It didn't really stick out all that much. This is the last time I'm ever mentioning Undertale in a mod besides with music (although that doesn't really count as a reference) and I only did it this time because it fit to some degree.

I'm going to remove the spikes from the arena with the Twin Sisters entirely; they're unnecessary. Also, the key to the disappearing bridge scene is to immediately run right and then jump on the down slope and then start boosting when the down slope disappears.

Version 2 will be released within two days and will include some of the changes people have suggested.

EDIT:

Oh BTW, @SeasonsOfDestiny , I hope you feel better! The flu sucks balls.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2016 at 7:40 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
You didn't Spoiler the section that has a lot of spoilers (namely the entirety of the part you left out of the spoilers). You should probably fix that.

I had mixed thoughts about the length of Ballos' opening dialogue. I think I need to extend his monologue at the beginning and elaborate on why he's "back". For your personal reference, Ballos has returned because his soul doesn't belong to himself anymore. As such, when he "died" his soul became trapped with whatever dark entity now possesses his soul. Now all that Ballos has left is hatred for Quote, albeit it's misplaced because of the circumstances you outlined (Ballos WANTED to die). But Ballos is so far gone in his insanity that he can't rationalize anything anymore, he is just pure hatred. I think I need to extend Ballos' dialogue to reflect these things better.

I can see where people find the Spooky Star annoying, but there's a definite strategy to using it. It's a close range weapon. Even though it CAN shoot at long range, it's really meant to do a ton of damage at a range where the shots practically can't fly anywhere but the enemy.

The Undertale reference I felt was almost necessary. You may not like it, but I guarantee that SOMEBODY would've mentioned the lack of Undertale skeletons if I hadn't included that one short reference. Besides... skeletons. Halloween. It didn't really stick out all that much. This is the last time I'm ever mentioning Undertale in a mod besides with music (although that doesn't really count as a reference) and I only did it this time because it fit to some degree.

I'm going to remove the spikes from the arena with the Twin Sisters entirely; they're unnecessary. Also, the key to the disappearing bridge scene is to immediately run right and then jump on the down slope and then start boosting when the down slope disappears.

Version 2 will be released within two days and will include some of the changes people have suggested.

EDIT:

Oh BTW, @SeasonsOfDestiny , I hope you feel better! The flu sucks balls.
Added Spoiler tags to what you were referring to. I didn't think it was important enough to spoiler, but I guess it was more story-intensive than I thought. Honestly, that might bring to attention how impactful or not those sections were.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of stuff that sounds this "out there" unless it's really well done, but adding in extra detail like this is nigh impossible to avoid in sequel mods. As long as it doesn't stretch on for too long, especially without skipflags, it should be okay.

With that reasoning, it basically turns into the shortest-range Blade to date as far as I know. Even then, sometimes the bullets go in the complete opposite direction of where you're shooting, causing you to miss unless you're literally inside the target's hitbox.

The Undertale reference I felt was almost necessary. You may not like it, but I guarantee that SOMEBODY would've mentioned the lack of Undertale skeletons if I hadn't included that one short reference.
I'm rather dumbfounded by the logic at hand here. No, the odds of someone mentioning the lack of Undertale skeletons would have been rather low, and even then the informer would most likely be joking. Yes, it did stick out quite a bit; the sudden style shift, especially the walking animation, stuck out like a black rabbit in a field of snow.

Also, thanks. Having to juggle college work and the flu has been a nightmare this week.

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:45 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You could just say that you're obsessed with undertale instead of giving excuses on why you want to put it in your mod.

Oct 26, 2016 at 5:05 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Aside from the random Undertale character out of nowhere with only a loose connection to the theme of the mod, the RNG-ness of the... RNG Star, and squished Ballos sprite, this is a pretty good mod.

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:10 PM
I'm rather dumbfounded by the logic at hand here. No, the odds of someone mentioning the lack of Undertale skeletons would have been rather low, and even then the informer would most likely be joking. Yes, it did stick out quite a bit; the sudden style shift, especially the walking animation, stuck out like a black rabbit in a field of snow.

I know you think that, but I've learned by now that no matter what choice you make in a situation like this one, someone will say something or be dissatisfied with the decision. And in all honesty, the thing that swayed me to add it was the fact that it would add another ORG to the ORGView. I realized early on that I would really struggle to fit a full Music List into the ORGView and having blank slots in an ORGView really, REALLY bothers me. I might remove this cut-scene if I add new music to the mod with the update I'm doing (which will include some extra content so that anyone playing through it again will have something to do).

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:35 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Hey nice work!
You've created quite a few holiday themed mods now... :]

Where to begin...

First off, an enjoyable adventure! There is plenty that could be nitpicked, but it's a quality release and I enjoyed blasting my through it. I can understand why other people might have issues with the "Spooky Star" though. Which leads me to...

My first gripe is the... Spooky Star. ...too spooky for me... well actually, the RNG part worked fine for me. A little *too* fine! With my lazy autofire button and the extra high damage output, the SPooky Star was OP against everyone. I would just run up to bosses and watch them explode. (The blade was a lot more challenging to use actually...)

The great revenge Ballos planned at the arena battle ended up with Quote fragging everything in seconds.
I wanted to see Ballos' shocked expression when it was over immediately.

...Is this your inspiration for the gun?!
p356181-0-0d301dc50543fc779567147d6b901a82b345405ehq.gif

However, my biggest gripe... No Halloween Costumes?!?
Balrog was wearing the Emperor's New Clothes Toaster I guess? But I really expected the party to have some content D::::::::::::::::

Btw1: "Sakamotoes" should be "Sakamotos" if I recall correctly.

Btw2: Toroko's dialogue and recalling how she died... That was well played ;) Spooky!

Btw3: Nice custom credits. And custom Orgs!

...As for PAPYRUS... I didn't have an issue. I was half expecting another Flowey appearance after Christmas Story... :p And maybe it was Kazuma roleplaying/pranking Jack in a Papyrus suit?!

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:23 PM
Hey nice work!
You've created quite a few holiday themed mods now... :]

Where to begin...

First off, an enjoyable adventure! There is plenty that could be nitpicked, but it's a quality release and I enjoyed blasting my through it. I can understand why other people might have issues with the "Spooky Star" though. Which leads me to...

My first gripe is the... Spooky Star. ...too spooky for me... well actually, the RNG part worked fine for me. A little *too* fine! With my lazy autofire button and the extra high damage output, the SPooky Star was OP against everyone. I would just run up to bosses and watch them explode. (The blade was a lot more challenging to use actually...)

The great revenge Ballos planned at the arena battle ended up with Quote fragging everything in seconds.
I wanted to see Ballos' shocked expression when it was over immediately.

...Is this your inspiration for the gun?!
p356181-0-0d301dc50543fc779567147d6b901a82b345405ehq.gif

However, my biggest gripe... No Halloween Costumes?!?
Balrog was wearing the Emperor's New Clothes Toaster I guess? But I really expected the party to have some content D::::::::::::::::

Btw1: "Sakamotoes" should be "Sakamotos" if I recall correctly.

Btw2: Toroko's dialogue and recalling how she died... That was well played ;) Spooky!

Btw3: Nice custom credits. And custom Orgs!

...As for PAPYRUS... I didn't have an issue. I was half expecting another Flowey appearance after Christmas Story... :p And maybe it was Kazuma roleplaying/pranking Jack in a Papyrus suit?!

Thanks! I'm going to lessen the burden of the RNG Star next patch so it'll address that problem.

Oct 28, 2016 at 9:46 PM
Update version 2.0.0 is here
  • New weapons accessible through discovery and trade.
  • New characters and content on the Balcony (including a secret haunted house).
  • Spooky Star can now be traded for the Burst Gun - rewards for keeping the Spooky Star and skipping the Blade.
  • Pillars in the Catacombs have been darkened.
  • Extended ending!
  • Bugs fixed, additional dialogue added, etc.

I still have more content to add and bugs to fix regarding the first half of the mod, but the second half should be greatly enhanced now.

EDIT:
By the way, if anyone wants to submit sprites for any of the main characters, I'd love to include them in the mod! I'll give you credit on one of the ending slides.

EDIT 2:

Also, thanks to everyone who has played the mod so far for the constructive criticism, guidance, and support. I greatly appreciate the time you all have taken to help me make this mod as good as possible.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2016 at 5:11 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Alrighty, so I've played some of this mod.

Right at the beginning I hear some custom music which is usually a plus. (Quite frankly the item get jingle is iffy but serves its purpose)
p356224-0-jf0ihlq.png

You clever dog.
p356224-1-mowfoev.png

Heh, I get that joke.
I'd be damned to actually get a hit with the Spooky Star. It's like it has a mind of its own and I seriously no likey.
Oh, and the boss battle music is iffy as well.
p356224-2-xpwsjga.png

How in the hell did you even get out of the Labyrinth?
p356224-3-gtd3tbr.png

Seriously? Pity.
p356224-4-mzjgbye.png

Piece of Junk is the correct term.

I played up to the Booster v0.08, before stopping for now.

Overall, a great mod from what I played so far. That elevator part was super genius. I do recommend this mod to anyone who's interested in it.

EDIT: If you want Quote to have a facepic, have this one which is downgraded from CS+. I even made a Mimiga Mask version, though I could have done better with it.
p356224-5-glpp86o.png

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2016 at 10:15 PM
Alrighty, so I've played some of this mod.

Right at the beginning I hear some custom music which is usually a plus. (Quite frankly the item get jingle is iffy but serves its purpose)
p356224-0-jf0ihlq.png

You clever dog.
p356224-1-mowfoev.png

Heh, I get that joke.
I'd be damned to actually get a hit with the Spooky Star. It's like it has a mind of its own and I seriously no likey.
Oh, and the boss battle music is iffy as well.
p356224-2-xpwsjga.png

How in the hell did you even get out of the Labyrinth?
p356224-3-gtd3tbr.png

Seriously? Pity.
p356224-4-mzjgbye.png

Piece of Junk is the correct term.

I played up to the Booster v0.08, before stopping for now.

Overall, a great mod from what I played so far. That elevator part was super genius. I do recommend this mod to anyone who's interested in it.

EDIT: If you want Quote to have a facepic, have this one which is downgraded from CS+. I even made a Mimiga Mask version, though I could have done better with it.
p356224-5-glpp86o.png

Thanks! I'm glad you've enjoyed what you've played so far. Quote doesn't have any physical dialogue yet so he doesn't need a facepic in this mod.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:02 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I recommend the mod~ Check it outttttttt, even after Halloween.
It's a bit short, but a polished little adventure occurring some time after Cave Story's events.

@SuperJaws100
Nice update~ Was worth the replay.

I'm happy you gave the player the option to keep or replace the Spooky Star.
Didn't want to part from it actually, but felt compelled to try out the new Burst Gun. Thought I was getting a shotgun lol.
The new one seems overpowered too thanks to my rapid fire key... But that's not your issue, but a bug/exploit from the original game. (You never run out of ammo if you tap fast enough instead of holding it down~)

Enjoyed the new spooky house at the top of the cliff... Didn't read the signs about it, just flew straight up and surprise! New area! ...Not sure what was going on in the haunted house and why it would be there... But spooky, and neat. (I wanted to sleep in the bed after it was over! lol)

Does the Ghostly Coin do anything for you besides provide the whimsical star effect? Seems a little too late since no more battles await after that... Makes a nice trophy achievement though.

And I liked what you did with the town. Even the locked doors seemed to be better explained by the single Trick or Treater... ("Go away!" "We have no candy for you!" That's what I imagined xD)

Mmmm... So, the island has returned to the surface in this story huh? Is this is after the best ending? Or a mix of best and good? Or maybe Q, C and B returned here after hearing about the island landing?

Only dialogue issue I noticed was two extra line breaks or so when talking to someone at the party. Maybe Santa?

Still a little sad that nobody else was wearing a costume and that nobody noticed Quote was wearing one lol, but talking to everyone before ending it was a nice touch.
Thanks for the mod ;)

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:39 AM
I recommend the mod~ Check it outttttttt, even after Halloween.
It's a bit short, but a polished little adventure occurring some time after Cave Story's events.

@SuperJaws100
Mmmm... So, the island has returned to the surface in this story huh? Is this is after the best ending? Or a mix of best and good? Or maybe Q, C and B returned here after hearing about the island landing?

No, the Island's still floating. It's just been made readily accessible to tourists and visitors through the Elevator. In theory, the Island is situated in a stable enough position that a solid structure could be built up to it.

Thanks so much for replaying it! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:03 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
whether it is a continuation of the Christmas Story 2015?
by the way great mod