Why we love Cave Story

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:52 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
(Thanks to whoever moved it i really appreciate it) The reason i love Cave Story is because it was released (free ware) 3 days before i was born (Dec. 23 2004.) another reason is, although i dont really like/love metroid and castlevania and games of the sort, it still appealed to me for its retro feel even though it was late for its times and the wii with it's 3d releases was coming out. I also remember watching walkthroughs of this game by Spy998 (he had a great playthrough getting the best ending and everything on the wii version, even showing off every weapon and what they do in boss rush mode whenever he got the weapon/choice to get it), so he really was the first ever person to show me this amazing game (which probably was the insperation for undertale {i really hate saying it cause of the cancerous fandom} so... yah if he is ever on here [ if he even has an account] i just wanna say thanks for showing me the game that i will love for generations :).

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2016 at 2:23 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Or I could just move it.

In any case a story-driven metroidvania with rpg-style mechanics that redefined what an indie game can be? What's not to love?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2016 at 3:52 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I love Cave Story for the fact it revived my love for video games. I remember watching BrentalFloss' video on CaveStory with lyrics and loved it. And for a game that truly brought the indie culture out of it's infant stage is astounding, I can name very few games doing the same for their respective sides of gaming, and since the game costed less than dime, if not even less, it'll be a game that has a firm place on the internet, and I don't see it leaving any time soon.

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:27 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
For the adventure it takes you on, for the experiences it lets you savour, for the goals it lets you accomplish, for the atmosphere it lets you admire. Everything about it is so well done that it just can't help but take a special place in your heart.

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:12 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I love Cave Story because it's like the only game I'm good at.

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:26 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I love Cave Story for its very unique 2D platformer-shooter style. I really like this style of game but unfortunately, I usually very much dislike the physics of most platform-shooters. I can't really appreciate games like Metroid and Castlevania because the controls and physics don't feel smooth and refined to me. With Cave Story this is not the case, the physics feel good and are smooth and logical.

I also love the music. That's probably one of the best aspects of Cave Story. And of course, the fact that this game opened up the world of music composition and coding to me. Without this game, much of my life would be different. Because of Cave Story, I took up an interest in coding, and now I want to go on to do coding as a career. And the ORG format that the game uses has changed my life as well, as I intend to try and build a career in music composition alongside my steadier coding job.

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:38 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I love Cave Story simply because it's fun and I liked the story. The way it handled itself as an Action Platformer worked very well for what it wanted you to do, with tight yet free and floaty controls. Even when things got crazy to get the true ending (which still doesn't make complete sense to me) it still managed to keep you wanting to improve and get better.

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:10 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Pointless double post
I love Cave Story simply because it's fun and I liked the story. The way it handled itself as an Action Platformer worked very well for what it wanted you to do, with tight yet free and floaty controls. Even when things got crazy to get the true ending (which still doesn't make complete sense to me) it still managed to keep you wanting to improve and get better.
"I like cave STORY because i liked the STORY" Badum Tisss

Sep 29, 2016 at 2:44 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
when you spend over a week trying to get the true ending in a game you really grow an attachment for it

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:12 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I liked the game because of the gameplay. all the mechanics fit nicely together, the level system and the weapons were unique in most ways and each had their own time and place. the platforming was seamless and precise. if you fell into the spikes in hell, you knew you messed up. probably the best thing about the game for me was the simple graphics, which worked perfectly for my cruddy laptop.

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:16 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
when you spend over a week trying to get the true ending in a game you really grow an attachment for it

When you spend over a year trying to get the best ending in a game you REALLY grow an attachment for it and a slight hate for it at the same time.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2016 at 11:20 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
To explain better, Cave Story is a Metroidvania that rewards exploration with dialogue and items like a JRPG and upgrades like a Metroidvania. It was that perfect blend, and when I hit Mimiga Town I knew I was looking at something special.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:28 AM
"Huzzah!"
When you play a game for a very long time, you eventually discover its flaws. Realizing these flaws helps you become a better fan of the game, a person who still plays the game despite its shortcomings. A player without much interest for a particular game plays said game for only a short time, missing out on why that game is truly spectacular. They dismiss it as "just another game"

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:28 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I was probably around 10 when I first played it. fell in love instantly. It wasn't even translated back then, so I played until grasstown in japanese. then my brother told me there's a translation. took me like a year to actually complete it. Damn. Monster X, The Core, and the trio at the end were tough for an 11 year old!

what's weird is that even today, more than ten years later it STILL looks amazing. I just can't believe it was made by one person. he started it all. he was the guy who made everyone copy cave story and make all those generic pixel platform jumpers that kickstarter is so full of.