Tilesets not visible. Any way to fix this?

May 24, 2016 at 1:06 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I was working with Cave Editor on some scripting for doors, then finished and saved to go and test if the door in question worked. It did, but from startup, not from the door event, all of the tiles except for the shootable blocks were invisible. I can send a copy of the doukutsu.exe to whomever needs to see it for troubleshooting. I did briefly edit the tileset in question within Cave Editor just to see how the built-in editor worked, but the only thing that I changed was making a blank tile solid rather than intangible. The tilesets are also only invisible in game. In the editor they appear just as usual.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this.

May 24, 2016 at 1:14 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
There are various different things that can cause this. You might be using an outdated version of Cave Editor that has some problems with it. The latest version is 0.99d. You could also try replacing the .pxa files with original counterparts just incase you messed up the tileset attributes somehow. It would probably be helpful if you could send us a copy of your game installation for us to see exactly what the problem is.

Also, next time, please use the Quick Modding/Hacking Answers thread for any of your general modding queries instead of starting a new thread.

May 24, 2016 at 1:56 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
In my attempts to fix this now, it seems I've completely messed up the graphics. Just in case it's somehow salvageable, here's a link to a download of the files.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1z8iykzxfr77h8/Dert Story.zip?dl=0

I've only made about a map and a half, so I can just remake the maps over again on a clean copy of Cave Story if nothing else works.

Last edited:
May 25, 2016 at 1:44 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Not sure why it's not showing up right on your system, the mod seemed to work fine on my computer. All the tiles on the maps were visible in the two rooms I played in. What operating system are you running, and what are your system specifications?

May 25, 2016 at 1:11 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I was working with Cave Editor on some scripting for doors, then finished and saved to go and test if the door in question worked. It did, but from startup, not from the door event, all of the tiles except for the shootable blocks were invisible. I can send a copy of the doukutsu.exe to whomever needs to see it for troubleshooting. I did briefly edit the tileset in question within Cave Editor just to see how the built-in editor worked, but the only thing that I changed was making a blank tile solid rather than intangible. The tilesets are also only invisible in game. In the editor they appear just as usual.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this.

EDIT2: HaydenStudios's "everything is fine" suggests that it might not be what I thought it was. Nevertheless, it might be an idea to try resaving the images anyway.

Try loading it in an editor such as mtpaint, and simply saving it without change?
(EDIT: Additional note. The GIMP likes to write in colour space information into .bmp files, but Cave Story doesn't like it. Make sure the options box shows up, go into the compatibility options, and disable writing in colour space information. I'm still not quite sure if this entirely works, though... again, just use whatever editor you usually use or use mtpaint.)
Also do this if you ever touch any image file with Cave Editor - if you're having this problem, it'll probably have it for all image files.

Last edited:
May 27, 2016 at 10:41 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Still doesn't work for me, but then again, I'm running it through WINE on arch linux, so that appears to be the reason it's doing this. I'll try these suggestions and get back to you on what worked.
Ah! Tilesets not visible on WINE on Arch Linux? That's the same as my setup, I've had the same problem, and it's because whatever program you used to save the file messed it up.
EDIT: Open the Data/Stage/*.(pbm/bmp) file in mtpaint (DO NOT use The GIMP - I mentioned something that seems to avoid problems but TBH it's really just more trouble than it's worth - Just use mtpaint. mtpaint works. DO NOT use Cave Editor's PBM editor. When you edit a tileset in Cave Editor, use mtpaint to fix the file afterwards.)
EDIT2: It's also good to keep a Windows XP or so VM about - it'll error if any of the PBMs have been messed up. Files edited in The GIMP incorrectly (i.e. with colour space information) will work fine on Wine but will cause errors the moment they touch "real" windows.

Last edited: