Between the two best Cave Story reviews on the Internet, which one is better? (Poll)

Which review was the best?

• Balrog's

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Yahtzee's

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Oct 23, 2015 at 10:28 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
(BGR Special)
(Heart and Art)

Yup, these are most certainly two of the all-time greatest reviews of Cave Story, and they were both done by relatively iconic Internet superstars.

First up, we have Balrog's penultimate Game Room episode, in which he covers all of the main versions of Cave Story at the same time and gives an admirably detailed yet adorably cheesy summary of both the game and the reasons why he loves it, concluding with a flawlessly timed utterance of the words HUZZAH, MOTHERFUCKER while dealing the final blow to Ballos with a freaking fully charged laser beam from the Spur just to add the icing on top of the cake.

Now, judging from my description, that particular review might sound pretty damned hard to top.

But then there's one of Zero Punctuation's least expected episodes, in which he satirizes Cave Story's strengths, weaknesses and general plot with disturbing accuracy, using his brilliant shtick of combining his cynical British cuntface nature with cuttingly informed critique to stunning effect.

Overall, I would say that ZP is a much better reviewer, but which of these two specific reviews do you personally prefer? Go ahead and explain why, if you must. (Note: They're both great.)

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2015 at 11:16 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
I've been trying to play cave story like an idiot, and I still don't see a lot of the complaints zero is talks about. overall though, both bring something different to the table, I guess?

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:15 AM
They are different, you can't be seriously be comparing which is better

It depends on which style of reviewer you prefer. As an actual review though (spoilers aside) Balrog's was better, but just about every single thing that ZP says in all of his reviews combined is just pure gold.

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:36 PM
These are among the best too IMO

Personally, I think Yahtzee deserves more credit. The way that he described the game was...just flawless, and he summarized the game in a much quicker, smarter, more entertaining, and most importantly more effective way than at least 90% of reviewers out there. He is definitely one talented, albeit cynical, son of a bitch, and I respect him for that. You should too.

Yahtzee is the guy who does literally all of the Zero Punctuation videos. I don't know whether or not I should actually legitimately be slightly angry that you don't know that yet, as he's basically been around since the early Playstation 3 days, which admittedly feels like a rather disturbingly long time ago now.

yeaaaah.... NO he wasn't. his review is far from flawless.

Well, the game itself is also pretty damned far from flawless, not to mention that him and the game are both overrated as fuck for that exact same reason. Personally, I wouldn't blame him. In fact, what he said about the jumping physics was almost eerily spot-on.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2015 at 3:40 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Oct 26, 2015 at 4:08 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Yep I don't know him. You shouldn't be angry at someone who doesn't know about a person that you think greatly of, because that's a little bit narcissistic.

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:22 PM
Its dark in here
Personally, I think Yahtzee deserves more credit. The way that he described the game was...just flawless, and he summarized the game in a much quicker, smarter, more entertaining, and most importantly more effective way than at least 90% of reviewers out there.
yeaaaah.... NO he wasn't. his review is far from flawless.
I don't know whether or not I should actually legitimately be slightly angry that you don't know that yet, as he's basically been around since the early Playstation 3 days, which admittedly feels like a rather disturbingly long time ago now.
I never owned anything within that gen of gaming besides Nintendo consoles. But I've seen games made for ps3 in the past year, so its far from being an old console.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2015 at 4:48 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Yep I don't know him. You shouldn't be angry at someone who doesn't know about a person that you think greatly of, because that's a little bit narcissistic.
That's not narcissism though :\

Oh and it would be great if every single person would just stop with those: "You haven't heard of X? How is that possible!" I keep hearing it so many times; for obscure and non-obscure things alike >.>
[Not just from others to others, but a whole ton about me not knowing something]

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:06 PM
I never got an answer to this one

They are the best. As for Balrog's, I find his to be incredibly underrated. It certainly helps that his username is, in fact, literally Balrog. :mrgreen:

I'm sorry I meant his name had nothing to do with how good the review is. his name is indeed derived from our beloved soap monster and and Balrog doesn't exist in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_(video_game)

Dude, what are talking about? Everyone who's played Street Fighter II or at least knows about it should know that there was a blatant Mike Tyson ripoff in the game, and that he was known as Balrog (at least in America; in Japan, his name was M Bison.)

Anyway, who else wishes that the Balrog in that Cave Story review had actually allowed himself to finish saying HUZZAH,MOTHERFUCKER? It would have been quite literally the best pre-ass-kicking one-liner ever. :balrog:

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2015 at 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Nobody's told me any reason that these two are the best; can I get an answer?
C'mon Dunc, don't be so stupid. They're the best because xandermartin says they're the best and xandermartin is always right.

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:12 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oct 30, 2015 at 3:57 AM
Its dark in here
Nov 29, 2015 at 7:14 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Zero Punctuation by far. He makes me laugh way too hard.

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:17 PM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I never owned anything within that gen of gaming besides Nintendo consoles. But I've seen games made for ps3 in the past year, so its far from being an old console.

Just because games are still being made for a system doesn't mean it is not an old console.