oh boy, cave story made in famitracker yet againnnn

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:34 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
so uhhh, im making the cave story soundtrack in famitracker. my cousin, cloudsteve, is also assisting me with this project, so uh, yeah.

here's a video of The Theme Song That You Probably Heard A Million Of Times, But In The NES Way:

the expansion chip im using is the konami vrc6 chip, which adds another 3 channels. it probably wouldve been better to use the namco 163 chip, but i didnt want to deal with a fuckload of waves sooooooooooo

oh yeah, and one final thing to say: ill probably release the ftm and nsf when i finish the project, which will include all the official songs, plus unused songs. so yayyyy

so yeah, thats pretty much it i guess?? if you have any questions, just ask away.

idk why i didnt upload the rest of the 20 other complete songs i have. perhaps ill make this a biweekly things..? :3c

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:35 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Very solid rendition of the main theme. And major props/good luck going with VRC6 too, as that will end up taking much more time to finish but will sound way better in the end. I can't wait to hear covers of Running Hell and Oppression (the latter of which already has a pretty sweet VRC6 cover). Will you have a single video with all covers when you finish?

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:41 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Very solid rendition of the main theme. And major props/good luck going with VRC6 too, as that will end up taking much more time to finish but will sound way better in the end. I can't wait to hear covers of Running Hell and Oppression (the latter of which already has a pretty sweet VRC6 cover). Will you have a single video with all covers when you finish?

thanks dude. i never thought of having all the covers in a single video..! ill take that into consideration.

Dec 1, 2015 at 7:28 AM
Yeah, I did. However, I didn't use any sound expansion on mine, just the regular 2A03.

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:17 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well someone named Jmankman did this with the same expansion chip, but they only did four songs.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:11 AM
Well someone named Jmankman did this with the same expansion chip, but they only did four songs.

the username does sound familiar...

from most vrc6 versions ive heard, theyre never 100% the same as the normal soundtrack, which is my goal. the only person that comes to mind that is doing what im doing is Necrophageon.

also, i assure you that i have more than 4 songs complete :p

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:18 AM
double post, but there's a new video!! woohoo

i think ill upload on tuesdays and thursdays so that there is enough time to finish the rest of the songs.

oh yeah, one thing: while im not using this thread to upload videos, ill just upload excerpts of songs so that i can receive critique on mixing and general impact, which is really one of my weaknesses in making music. like for example:

oppression is a bass-heavy song, and ive been thinking of using the sawtooths (main bass) V01 effect so that it can emulate orgmaker's basses. the only problem with this method is that i cannot control the sawtooths volume while it has this effect on, and the issue with that is, well... its too fuckin loud for not having any volume control. i would use the default sawtooth channel, but its just too quiet for a bass-heavy song. i really dont know what to do.

i put both excerpts on vocaroo and... perhaps you guys can vote on which one i should use.

A (Sawtooth with V01 effect): http://vocaroo.com/i/s1EAdg49IfXb
B (Normal Sawtooth): http://vocaroo.com/i/s1p1TpszGKQn

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:00 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I definitely prefer B. The first one doesn't sound quite as impactful and even sounds a bit too loud.

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:39 PM
http://vocaroo.com/i/s01ZuGSIrbNg

working on gestation. this bit with the percussion was very difficult, since the original org uses like, 5 percussion channels, while im using 2. in the end, i think it worked out really well and im proud of it!

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:34 AM
It sounds like there's 2 noise channels in there... Is that the case, or did you use some trick to make it sound that way?

[EDIT: Never mind about that... I've found its much simpler than I thought to do that with one noise.]

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2015 at 4:28 AM
yeah, it was tricky to find out, but the execution in the actual ftm was annoying as hell, since the speed was so slow. basically, here's what it looks like on my end:

p210337-0-gyuofln.gif

(its the vocaroo excerpt being shown)

this was all done with just a blank instrument, too. the use of the Gxx effect and constantly changing the volume and notes for each instrument was really frustrating. gestation took the longest out of the 3 songs i finished today, just because of that noise channel :C

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:07 AM
Yup, that's what I thought. Though, just copy-pasting where it's needed is rather easy, if that's what you're not already doing.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2015 at 7:20 PM
well, while i was copying and pasting, i had to go back and switch between the 2-# and 4-# after the GFF effect and also change their volumes accordingly. that process was the part i had to do manual, which was annoying and disorientating.

double post. only because there is a new song...!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 9, 2015 at 4:24 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Very nice sounding, it sounds extremely similar to the original, but also has that greater NES simplicity to it. I'm liking all your remixes so far, keep up the good work!

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:33 AM

fire eyes

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:49 PM

videopad trial ran out, so i had to look for another program. not only that, i was swamped with concerts and rehearsals. please forgive me for uploading late ;________;

anyway, heres last battle and jenka 2 :O

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:56 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
The famitracker makes music based on the Famicom system, not the NES. It's a nitpick, but they're not exactly the same.
uh
yes they are
okay technically no if you want to get into like expansion chips and stuff but famitracker itself it even says on the website "NES/Famicom"