The Temple of Unusuals

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:56 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I started working on a mod since November of 2009 and here I present the first demo of the game.

This mod will be very difficult, I HIGHLY encourage not to take damage too much, have your weapon leveled up to the max (and use that to thrust yourself up). There are so many bottomless pits, traps (unpredictable at first), and monsters like to show up around you in certain places. Hence the title of the mod. It can be frustrating. :muscledoc: Just read the signs you come across.

There are only two levels (passageways) in this demo. I have incorporated a technique using a lot of lift block NPCs to make a few stages "Auto-Scroll" along, in which the Map System item is not functional on these stages. (Yes, if you get pushed off the screen, you are dead!)

You can return to the Temple Base after you have cleared 4 of the 8 stages in each level.

Special Thanks to:
  • Non-moving face transition ASM - Noxid
  • 60 FPS ASM - Aar
  • Money Script - SeriousFace
  • Cuttlenon graphics - Andwhyisit
  • A background used for boss stages - Metalogz
  • Custom miniboss graphic replacement for Igor - Metalogz
  • And Studio Pixel for making Cave Story!

Programs used to mod:
  • SeaTone (Pusher) - sshsigi
  • Doukutsu Assembler - Carrotlord
  • CaveEditor - Wistil
  • (OllyDbg, Resource Hacker, XVI32, IrfanView) - 3rd party sources

Anything else not mentioned, reply to this thread. Also for praise, complaints or bugs, you can reply to this thread as well.

Screenshots:
Shot1.png Shot2.png Shot3.png

:sun: Download :sun:

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2015 at 5:13 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Wow. Is there any ASM you need help with?

Nov 27, 2015 at 5:27 AM
Veteran Member
Wow. Is there any ASM you need help with?
I have only installed the simple ASMs using Doukutsu Assembler. (and had already installed the infinite Mimiga Mask via OllyDbg in advance for further development) Tested and had no trouble over it. (But I could not use TIMG ASM, it conflicted with Mimiga Mask.)

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2015 at 7:10 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Interesting, quite a challenge too.
I can't say much yet because it's pretty hard, but it'll be fun to beat it.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:32 PM
scrungy
p210070-0-6voi78k.png
I advise you to pick a different font...
EDIT: Scratch that, it appears I made an error installing the font that came with the game. My apologies.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2015 at 11:36 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
p210070-0-6voi78k.png
I advise you to pick a different font...
Weird, it doesn't look that like for me. There's a font in the main directory (msgothic), did you install that?

EDIT: So if the text looks terrible, try installing the bundled font. Maybe.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2015 at 11:39 PM
scrungy
Weird, it doesn't look that like for me. There's a font in the main directory (msgothic), did you install that?
I updated my post before this response went up. My mistake.

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:10 AM
"Huzzah!"
I haven't beaten the demo yet, but the TSC scripts used in this mod are really cool! I like how you used them to add little details not seen in the vanilla game, such as the victory dance. I also think the method of saving in the mod is cool as well, but for some reason I don't get the item needed to do so while playing the mod.

I did a bit of rummaging in the head script, the death script adds some interesting albeit grim detail to the game, can you explain how you did it / what each of the TSC commands do? (Specifically <DNP0060 and <CNP0900?)

Nov 28, 2015 at 2:34 AM
Veteran Member
I haven't beaten the demo yet, but the TSC scripts used in this mod are really cool! I like how you used them to add little details not seen in the vanilla game, such as the victory dance. I also think the method of saving in the mod is cool as well, but for some reason I don't get the item needed to do so while playing the mod.

I did a bit of rummaging in the head script, the death script adds some interesting albeit grim detail to the game, can you explain how you did it / what each of the TSC commands do? (Specifically <DNP0060 and <CNP0900?)

I placed 2 blank NPCs near the top corner in every stage. The NPC with Event 60 is used when you use the・Escape Device・ item (found in an Item Shop in Level 2-2) to go back to Temple Base directly. The NPC with Event 900 is used when Curly dies. For the NPC with Event 900, the death script changes to a "Carry Curly Unconscious" NPC which will appear behind the PC and then changes to "Curly" (117) and animates with 30 to knock out. For the NPC with Event 60, it has Flag 0x0100 which it will call when touched, when the・Escape Device・ item is used and you exit the Inventory, the script within ArmsItem changed the NPC to a "Carry Curly Unconscious" and the PC is touching it to call Event 60 in the Head to "Teleport" back to the Temple Base (Only if the whole level is completed and while not fighting bosses). If somehow Curly gets hit within one frame and dies, the NPC with Event 60 is deleted so you do not see the carried sprite floating.

・・・

The reason I included the MSGothic font because Windows 10 does not have it. It is there for players who are using Windows 10 and I am using this OS! Please right click the font file and click Install. Or open c:\windows\fonts with the search bar on the taskbar and move or copy the font to it.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2015 at 3:32 AM
scrungy
The reason I included the MSGothic font because Windows 10 does not have it. It is there for players who are using Windows 10 and I am using this OS!
So that's why it didn't work out for me, I was sure I already had the font.
Great job, Microsoft.

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:14 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
you were not kidding when you said it was hard
fuck i cant even get past level 2

anyway, i really like this.
it feels kinda like an arcade game, something you can easily pick up and play.
the TSC is really nifty as well, specifically the death/load sequence

i'll comment more on this when i finish

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:39 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Right off the bat, I can tell this will be painful. The grammar! For something you've been working on since 2009 you'd think it would be more coherent! For Christs' sake!

Alright here we go:
  • LOL Curly scolds the solid tile or locking her in.
  • The dialog really needs a lot of work, it's killing me.
  • Some of the Level 1 tiling could use some work. Too many flat lines.

That's as far as I got, I died and didn't really want to retry at the moment. Nice ASM on the death though, I love it.

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:21 AM
Veteran Member
Right off the bat, I can tell this will be painful. The grammar! For something you've been working on since 2009 you'd think it would be more coherent! For Christs' sake!

Alright here we go:
  • LOL Curly scolds the solid tile or locking her in.
  • The dialog really needs a lot of work, it's killing me.
  • Some of the Level 1 tiling could use some work. Too many flat lines.

That's as far as I got, I died and didn't really want to retry at the moment. Nice ASM on the death though, I love it.

If you can point out what needs to be corrected on dialog and tiling, I will note this and find the best way to correct it and the change will be so in Demo 2 (which will have levels 3 and 4 along with the first two).

The death effect was not ASM, it was purely done with the Head TSC and controlling the NPC with Event 900 I put in every stage. See my previous post for more info.

it feels kinda like an arcade game, something you can easily pick up and play.
the TSC is really nifty as well, specifically the death/load sequence

I had been going with the idea of playing like an arcade game, which inspired me back then to mod. Thanks for complimenting the "Respawn" scene.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2015 at 7:03 AM
"Huzzah!"
Huh, guess I should've read the intro sequence, oopsie.

Couldn't Curly take the diary with her, then record an entry every time she gets to a tough spot? I can only start from level one so many times before I start to feel tired...

Just a thought, it's all I've got to say for now.

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:32 AM
Veteran Member
Things will definitely change in the full release because I already had an idea floating across. I may end up creating a level room with 8 stage doors so that you can return to the Temple Base after completing a single stage. That way, saving will still be possible between stages, rather than working your way to the halfway point.

Needed to add something to Jenka's note that the Magic Diary is fixed to the table, it's magical powers would stop working if taken out of the Base and there would be no time travel to respawn.

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:36 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Needed to add something to Jenka's note that the Magic Diary is fixed to the table, it's magical powers would stop working if taken out of the Base and there would be no time travel to respawn.
This kinda makes sense, considering you can't return to something you are carrying.
Especially if you fall.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2015 at 6:25 PM
If you can point out what needs to be corrected on dialog and tiling, I will note this and find the best way to correct it and the change will be so in Demo 2 (which will have levels 3 and 4 along with the first two).

The death effect was not ASM, it was purely done with the Head TSC and controlling the NPC with Event 900 I put in every stage. See my previous post for more info.

I had been going with the idea of playing like an arcade game, which inspired me back then to mod. Thanks for complimenting the "Respawn" scene.

Here's the issue, there are so many issues with the dialog that I would have to basically give you a script rewrite. Just go through it, and where you see problems with grammar, fix them. If you can't find them yourself.... then I haven't a clue what to tell you. Your grammar/general speech in your posts is fine so I'm not sure why it's so bad in the mod.

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:42 PM
"Huzzah!"
Here's the issue, there are so many issues with the dialog that I would have to basically give you a script rewrite. Just go through it, and where you see problems with grammar, fix them. If you can't find them yourself.... then I haven't a clue what to tell you. Your grammar/general speech in your posts is fine so I'm not sure why it's so bad in the mod.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the idea that Fluff is Multi-lingual. Not only do they need to deal with English, but also their own language as well. Not to mention TSC is technically a language too, so that would make three languages in total.

If dialog is a big problem, Fluff can either fix it themselves or get someone else to help, but I don't think it's that big of a problem compared to what else the mod has to offer.

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:38 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the idea that Fluff is Multi-lingual. Not only do they need to deal with English, but also their own language as well. Not to mention TSC is technically a language too, so that would make three languages in total.

If dialog is a big problem, Fluff can either fix it themselves or get someone else to help, but I don't think it's that big of a problem compared to what else the mod has to offer.

I assumed he might be multi-lingual. I won't give him special treatment because of it. And dialog is one of the most important pieces of a game. It seriously detracts from gameplay when dialog/grammar is wrong or bad.