Does it bother anyone else that you can get Chaco's lipstick?

Oct 11, 2015 at 9:17 PM
"Forever coffee..."
Chaco's lipstick. I mean, seriously. What was Pixel thinking? And from what I know it's still obtainable in all ports, some of which kids can easily get their hands on.

Oct 11, 2015 at 9:23 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yeah, it gets me pretty hot and bothered.

And from what I know it's still obtainable in all ports, some of which kids can easily get their hands on.

God forbid that kids get their hands on a scandalous item like lipstick. They might think it's something that people actually wear.

Oct 11, 2015 at 9:27 PM
"Forever coffee..."
It just feels really out of place in the game is all. It ruined Cave Story for me, personally.

Oct 11, 2015 at 9:29 PM
War criminal
I wonder what's more scandalous, picking up lipstick or picking up pantsu panties? Either way, Quote would make a great drag queen.

Oct 11, 2015 at 9:30 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
It just feels really out of place in the game is all. It ruined Cave Story for me, personally.

I find it odd that you take issue with the lipstick and yet leave out the matter of "Curly's panties" entirely in your post. To me, that seems a bit less kid friendly, since at least with the Chaco's lipstick thing all that happens is you get some lipstick after sleeping. It's only dirty if you have a dirty mind and read inbetween the lines. Whereas with the panties it's pretty straightforward that you are stealing a girl's underwear. Which I guess isn't inherently dirty in itself either, but seems a bit more direct to me.

Oct 11, 2015 at 9:33 PM
"Forever coffee..."
I mean, Curly's panties is very well established within the community. I feel like Chaco's lipstick is the greater of two evils, and isn't known as well. I could be wrong, though. Just joined the whole Cave Story universe.

I find it odd that you take issue with the lipstick and yet leave out the matter of "Curly's panties" entirely in your post. To me, that seems a bit less kid friendly, since at least with the Chaco's lipstick thing all that happens is you get some lipstick after sleeping. It's only dirty if you have a dirty mind and read inbetween the lines. Whereas with the panties it's pretty straightforward that you are stealing a girl's underwear. Which I guess isn't inherently dirty in itself either, but seems a bit more direct to me.
I see your point, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 11, 2015 at 10:20 PM
"Forever coffee..."
Holy crap I didn't even consider that. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that.
Cave Story is unruined for me now, thank you kind sir.

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:37 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
do you think quote puts the lipstick on
do you think it makes him feel pretty
do you think it makes him feel
alive

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:22 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hm, the more interesting question to me is if you can get Chaco's lipstick in Curly Story, too. That would be interesting.. x)

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:29 PM
War criminal
You can. Now she can give it Quote so he can look pretty.
p208179-0-mtigp6n.png

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:38 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hm, so the true romance of Cave Story was Curly x Chaco yuri all the time - also robot x antropomorphic animal. Oh the japanese culture. :mrgreen:

But seriosuly, didn't know about that. Interesting fact.

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:05 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Chaco likely gave Quote the lipstick sample while sleeping...

Why lipstick anyway? Who does that? Maybe there was a secret message inside "HELP ME, SANTA IS WATCHING" but Quote just takes one look and says
"It has no use."

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:15 PM
@X-Calibar: Nah, it's pretty obvious to me what the lipstick and Chaco sleeping in her bed after Quote is waking up is supposed to mean. Japanese are actually much more sensitive regarding sexuality and sexual innuendoes. I remember watching a Macross Frontier episode where the protagonist is supposed to sleep with another character. But it was so mildly hinted at for western standards that almost noone outside of Japan noticed it. But in Japan on the other hand it was crystal clear what was pointed in said scene.

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:44 PM
Professional Whatever
It wasn't clear for people here? Seemed obvious to me

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:56 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Sure it could be innuendo, but sometimes lipstick is just lipstick.
Or maybe it could be "lipstick" representative of traces of lipstick. Make what you will though, it's up to your imagination to fill in the blank.

Unless Pixel has confirmed something...?

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:16 PM
@X-Calibar: And I'm telling you that Japanese are very sensitive regarding sexual innuendos. In Macross Frontier it was such minimalistic details like the language, mood, camera fading away and later on showing the protagonist not wearing his jacket anymore but holding it in its hand. That's enough for Japanese audience to make it totally obvious, they don't need as much obviousness as western audience would need.

Of course that's no proof for what's the case in Cave Story, but it's pretty clear in my opinion.

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:20 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
And I'm telling you that Japanese are very sensitive regarding sexual innuendos
THAT or America's censoring system is really strict. I mean, look at some old SNES games, like the early Final Fantasy games. Those games have some clear indication about censorship in America.