American Gun Laws

Oct 8, 2015 at 8:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Also worth noting that the US has the world's 3rd highest population
The stats I referenced were per 100,000 people for all countries. Population is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2015 at 9:52 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
The stats I referenced were per 100,000 people for all countries. Population is irrelevant.
I think population is very relevant, per X statistics like you listed aren't particularly useful because of people having different culture, etc.
America has a lot of people and significant gun culture, so it's almost surprising that the numbers aren't higher.

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:19 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I think population is very relevant, per X statistics like you listed aren't particularly useful because of people having different culture, etc.
America has a lot of people and significant gun culture, so it's almost surprising that the numbers aren't higher.
if you're going to troll then you could at least pretend you're trying to make sense

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:21 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
if you're going to troll then you could at least pretend you're trying to make sense
Wat. I'm saying that per X statistics don't generally mean much if you're comparing people from different countries.
America has a strong sense of culture and the media is fairly influential. You wouldn't know that from reading those statistics.
To simply post statistics like those provides very little insight. Also, the statistics @andwhyisit posted were totals, not just homicides.
This thread isn't even about politics, because American politics is basically at a standstill due to the majority of the population being idiots.

Anyway, considering you don't even seem to have grasped the English language, I'm not sure why I'm bothering to reply to you.
It's obvious that the forum rules need to be re-written considering the staff seem to have no problem with accusing members of trolling.
The lack of intelligence demonstrated by such long term members as yourself suggests that this forum needs to seriously change.

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:36 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
if you honestly believe that then ok, congrats, you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of something to think that the fact that america likes guns is reasonable justification for people using them to kill each other
if you're just trying to get me to bite then you'll have to try a different vector because I'm pretty ok with being an illiterate nitwit. It helps me relate to the rest of the users here.

this thread's down the shitter but I really doubt anyone expected otherwise

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2015 at 11:57 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
well Nox, I learned something today and that counts, right?

Especially from the video yinga posted I've never heard it put that way and I'm beginning to reconsider and think I really like what the guy in the video had to say.

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:05 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
well Nox, I learned something today and that counts, right?

Especially from the video yinga posted I've never heard it put that way and I'm beginning to reconsider and think I really like what the guy in the video had to say.

Yeah sometimes these discussions can get heated but I always like to think we're able to walk away from them a little more educated than before.

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:38 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Also, the statistics @andwhyisit posted were totals, not just homicides.
The aren't totals, they are averages per 100K head of people. That's why population doesn't factor into this. Essentially it means that for every 100,000 people in America, 10 or 11 of those will die from a gun-related death. This might not seem like much to you, but on a global scale the US is one of the worst offenders per capita for gun-related deaths. Please actually read my posts before running counter commentary.

Wat. I'm saying that per X statistics don't generally mean much if you're comparing people from different countries.
You made this claim and didn't follow up with WHY you believe this to be the case.

America has a strong sense of culture and the media is fairly influential. You wouldn't know that from reading those statistics.
Same for many other developed nations, except less people per capita die from guns. Your point being?

To simply post statistics like those provides very little insight.
The whole point of statistics is to provide insight.

Because they are averages per 100K head of people, not totals.

This is the third time I've had to explain this.

Anyway, considering you don't even seem to have grasped the English language, I'm not sure why I'm bothering to reply to you.
Your earlier post was incredibly vague, like half of said post never escaped your head. English only works if you apply it correctly, and communication is a two-way street.

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:17 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Just last night, there was a shooting at Northern Arizona University. Three were wounded, one person was killed.

In response to the Oregon shooting, Senator Ben Carson had his own insight on the situation.
"Not only would I probably not cooperate with him, I would not just stand there and let him shoot me, I would say, 'Hey guys, everybody attack him. He may shoot me, but he can't get us all.'"
- Sen. Carson in an interview on Fox news

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:43 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I find that this problem is quite hard to solve. Considering I'm only 14, that is to be expected though. I find the only solution I can really think of is to get into the heads of the young of America that guns are to only be used for a last resort. It would be quite hard though. Hey, maybe even make intentional memes to get the 12 year olds to agree. It's just bad if people kill others. Heck, even make CoD use trank darts. It would be a better explanation for respawning.

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:03 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
One solution that comes to mind for me is to:

Tax all forms of ammunition to exorbitant amounts except for muzzleloaders and bows, as such people can still go hunting and defend themselves using bows and muzzleloaders.

If you think about it, you don't need to dispense a whole clip of bullets into an assaulter, and if there was an angry mob of assaulters you would be out of luck either way. [Even still, how often are you raided by angry mobs?]

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2015 at 3:41 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
ok, even though I'm not a huge fan of guns I think restricting people to muzzle-loaders might be a bit excessive.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:27 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
ok, even though I'm not a huge fan of guns I think restricting people to muzzle-loaders might be a bit excessive.
The idea stems off of the hunting seasons between bows, muzzleloders and semi-automatics; bow hunters get to hunt first, then muzzleloaders, and finally semi-autos.

As such, I don't think it's excessive. The tax only applies to the ammunition anyways, as such people can still buy themselves semi-automatics. (We could possibly also remove taxes on guns since it doesn't impede killers much, if someone is bent on killing others money is conpletely no-worries) Said people can also still buy bullets for these guns, but albiet at a higher cost.

Because bullets aren't reausable (Okay, to an extent they are), there is money to be made off of bullet taxes that could benefit the governent or something in some way.

And finally, gun owners often buy guns for the sake of owning one. Sure they might want to go to the shooting range and use not-muzzleloaders, but think of it as getting a glass of some good wine. Besides muzzleloaders are completely different shooting experience from semi-autos.

We could also just limit the hypothetical tax solely to weapons that could easily kill many in a short amount of time: automatics, high-capacity magazines, etc.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:34 PM
Professional Whatever
You say that price will not dissuade killers, and then say that overcharging ammunition will dissuade people from using their guns. I may be missing some logic here, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:52 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Once our robot overlord is in place we will be safe.

In the meantime, we need to round up all existing guns, register them, and replace them with new guns that can only fire for registered owners of that gun.
If we just require chipping people, and collect more data, we should have a better way of tracking everyone's patterns and we can predict potential problems in advance.
That way everyone will be protected.

While we're at it, there's too many problems with people these days. And there are so many of them! There should be some kind of population management system that can use best practices to guide and give people appropriate roles in life. I'm pretty sure with these simple steps we can move towards Peace and Order on Earth.

To be honest, maybe we could improve people. If they were more reasonable, half the problems we face today wouldn't exist. I think it won't be too long before we can exert some control over the human mind. And if we can just keep them in the "green"... Actually they are quite inefficient, and use far more resources than needed.
That's a problem. We might have to fix that problem... Just until we can find the perfect environment for them.

-signed your friendly AI
Anyway, I know people who collect them, and I have mixed feelings about the issue. My guess is that less than a percent of the population use guns and cause problems. But, as the population continues to grow it will become more and more common... (And not to mention how information technology has changed our lifestyles and how affects us no matter where we go, among other factors...)

In the end maybe another technology will be the answer...

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:49 PM
You say that price will not dissuade killers, and then say that overcharging ammunition will dissuade people from using their guns. I may be missing some logic here, but it doesn't make sense to me.
Pardon, it was rushed on mobile in a few minutes.

What I'm trying to point out is the difference between a one-time fee and consecutive fees.

And also that muzzleloaders are perfectly valid to use for self-defense and hunting.

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:26 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
My favourite part is that, in the US, you can bypass any and all restrictions to gun ownership by just purchasing one at a gun show
A++
Funny you said that. Last time my father purchased a gun from a gun show, he had to fill out paperwork. It depends on the seller, I guess.