YET ANOTHER Music Contest

Which ORG was your favorite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 7, 2015 at 3:00 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Yeah, it's another one. I'm not making a big flashy post, just a simple one. The object of this contest is to make the best...

Original Area Theme

That's right, an area theme, such as Gestation or Mimiga Village. Same rules as usual.
  • No remixes. No transcriptions. ORGs only, and only Cave Story compatible drums.
  • The ORG must have been started after October 1st.
  • OPTIONAL: You may submit your ORG with the name of a certain Cave Story track with a similar theme to yours so people can get a feel for what you were going for.
The deadline is by the end of November 5th. Voting will start the next day.

Entries

Video

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2015 at 7:33 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Okay it has to be an area in the original Cave Story? Or can it be like a modded map?

I don't know; it seems kind of strange to try and completely recompose a theme for a map in the original game that is always going to be associated with a certain music, or lack thereof. Personally it may be ideal to alternate between having a "general" theme and a closely knit Cave Story theme following that. The first competition involved making a general boss theme; the second involved making a Cave Story character theme. Why not do a challenge for shop themes or ending themes or something more nonspecific to CS.

Nonetheless, sign me up. Also are you still looking for mod compatible drums?

Oct 7, 2015 at 1:26 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oct 7, 2015 at 8:07 PM
Okay it has to be an area in the original Cave Story? Or can it be like a modded map?

I don't know; it seems kind of strange to try and completely recompose a theme for a map in the original game that is always going to be associated with a certain music, or lack thereof. Personally it may be ideal to alternate between having a "general" theme and a closely knit Cave Story theme following that. The first competition involved making a general boss theme; the second involved making a Cave Story character theme. Why not do a challenge for shop themes or ending themes or something more nonspecific to CS.

Nonetheless, sign me up. Also are you still looking for mod compatible drums?

Reworked what I was trying to say. And yes.

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:21 PM
You're saying yes to only mod compatible drums and not to allowing modded maps, right?

I'm saying you misunderstood what I was saying.

I was tired when I wrote that post. What I meant was when you submitted your ORG, you could say it was "inspired by" a certain Cave Story track so that users would know what sort of feel you were going for with the song. For example, you might make a fast-paced, high-intensity ORG and say it was inspired by Meltdown 2.

And yes, CAVE STORY COMPATIBLE DRUMS ONLY.

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:33 PM
"Huzzah!"
Can I submit more than one entry?

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:45 PM
Oct 22, 2015 at 11:26 PM
Beakface
Okay here's attempt number 1: Chromatose Robot

It's a bit of a play off "Mischievous Robot", at times taking after the drum scheme, but I didn't want it to be associated with Mischievous Robot as a whole. Since we're allowed to submit more than one entry, I thought it might be interesting to have one actually "based off" a Cave Story area ORG and then one which is based on the area itself. (If I have time.)

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:22 AM
"Huzzah!"

It's a bit of a play off "Mischievous Robot", at times taking after the drum scheme, but I didn't want it to be associated with Mischievous Robot as a whole. Since we're allowed to submit more than one entry, I thought it might be interesting to have one actually "based off" a Cave Story area ORG and then one which is based on the area itself. (If I have time.)

I likey, it's always nice to have a more traditional org in these contests :mahin:

The lead is good, but the background noise (for me at least) clashes a teeny weeny bit with the lead.

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Not bad, not bad at all. I picture this as less of an "Egg Corridor" type deal and more of a snowy level theme.

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:24 PM
"Huzzah!"
Prepare for re-"entry." (hohohoho). This'll be my first out of two entries, Ethereal Mind.

It's a faster paced tense / dramatic composition, fit for snowy / nighttime escapades.

Oct 28, 2015 at 6:26 AM
Beakface
Prepare for re-"entry." (hohohoho). This'll be my first out of two entries, Ethereal Mind.

It's a faster paced tense / dramatic composition, fit for snowy / nighttime escapades.
Overall, quite well composed. Track 6 and 7 complement each other nicely. Though I don't understand the purpose of overlaying track 6 with track 8. Muting track 8 doesn't seem to have much of an effect on track 6's voice overall. And I feel like the transition into the start of the loop could have been more consistent, having tracks 1 and 2 take the place of 3 and 4. These are minor nitpicks, really.

In terms of a Cave Story area this would fit into (I think that's the overall gist of this compo?) - I can't really pinpoint an area this would work best in. It does have a bit of that "eerie night" feel to it. It reminds me more of an underground theme, mainly because the bass makes me think of burrowing into the earth for some strange reason.

Also @SuperJaws100 are you going to add this mighty fine entry?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2015 at 4:46 PM
Overall, quite well composed. Track 6 and 7 complement each other nicely. Though I don't understand the purpose of overlaying track 6 with track 8. Muting track 8 doesn't seem to have much of an effect on track 6's voice overall. And I feel like the transition into the start of the loop could have been more consistent, having tracks 1 and 2 take the place of 3 and 4. These are minor nitpicks, really.

In terms of a Cave Story area this would fit into (I think that's the overall gist of this compo?) - I can't really pinpoint an area this would work best in. It does have a bit of that "eerie night" feel to it. It reminds me more of an underground theme, mainly because the bass makes me think of burrowing into the earth for some strange reason.

Also @SuperJaws100 are you going to add this mighty fine entry?

Oopsy daisy, forgot about this thread. I added it.

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:26 AM
"Huzzah!"

Hmmmm... I had the idea this contest was for music that could be used in a specific area of any mod / game. I didn't really consider any areas that are unique to cave story (If that ends up being the case however, you win :mahin:.)

Also, I take back what I said about the clashing melody in your song, "Chromatose Robot." The track grew on me after listening to it a bit more.

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:21 PM
Hmmmm... I had the idea this contest was for music that could be used in a specific area of any mod / game. I didn't really consider any areas that are unique to cave story (If that ends up being the case however, you win :mahin:.)

Also, I take back what I said about the clashing melody in your song, "Chromatose Robot." The track grew on me after listening to it a bit more.

You are correct Jpzarde. You don't HAVE to consider an area.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:40 AM
Beakface
Going for number 2: Nocturnal Promenade

I started this back when I thought we had to base the compositions off a certain Cave Story track. Well the fact that we don't is a relief, but perhaps you may be able to hear bits and pieces of the track this was originally based on. Make a prediction.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2015 at 8:38 AM
Beakface
Okay last entry, since it's the lastish day to post stuff. I actually completed this before my other two submissions, but again, at the time, I misread the OP and thought that the point of this competition was to make an ORG "inspired" by an already existing Cave Story track. Seeing how that's not the case, I will enter it as my final entry. I'm actually planning to use this in my own game so -_-

Strong Heart Weak Mind