Undertale

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:05 AM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
There is now an "official" (as in endorsed by Toby Fox and the Undertale Twitter account) forum for Undertale. It's here: https://forum.starmen.net/forum/RadDog/undertale
There's not much as of now (it was created today), but the content is rapidly expanding.

btw i guess i never talked about it here but since i played this game my life has been about 60% undertale

Oct 4, 2015 at 5:04 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
undertale fucked me up

Oct 4, 2015 at 6:36 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
So, I've been working on a lot of Undertale ORGs.

The .zip includes "Bergentruckung", "Fallen Down", "Ghost Fight", and "Megalovania".

The first of those was transcribed by ear, the second and fourth were taken from sheet music, and the third from a MIDI.

Oct 4, 2015 at 6:39 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
do the dog song but use cat sound instead

Oct 4, 2015 at 8:29 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
So, I've been working on a lot of Undertale ORGs.

The .zip includes "Bergentruckung", "Fallen Down", "Ghost Fight", and "Megalovania".

The first of those was transcribed by ear, the second and fourth were taken from sheet music, and the third from a MIDI.
Okay "Fallen Down" sounds all right but "Bergentrückung" and "Ghost Fight"...ooh boy. Part of what makes the former so good are those snappy notes - with a little echo. In this ORG, they're just long held notes. And something about the balancing is really...off sounding. The ORG also seems to be too high, but I think you would need to turn it down a semitone and mess around with the frequency to get the exact tone of the original.

"Ghost Fight"'s bassline seems good. I imagine this is a very difficult piece to transcribe in ORG, what with the instruments and all. Something about the arrangement, balancing and instrument choice though makes the ORG seem a lot slower than the original.

I have not listened to the original Megalovania in its entirety but from the first few measures, it seems to have similar issues with Bergentrückung in the sense that the notes aren't "snappy" enough - it's too fluid. Maybe an instrument with more buzz for track 3 - like one in the 60s.

Oct 4, 2015 at 9:13 PM
Okay "Fallen Down" sounds all right but "Bergentrückung" and "Ghost Fight"...ooh boy. Part of what makes the former so good are those snappy notes - with a little echo. In this ORG, they're just long held notes. And something about the balancing is really...off sounding. The ORG also seems to be too high, but I think you would need to turn it down a semitone and mess around with the frequency to get the exact tone of the original.

"Ghost Fight"'s bassline seems good. I imagine this is a very difficult piece to transcribe in ORG, what with the instruments and all. Something about the arrangement, balancing and instrument choice though makes the ORG seem a lot slower than the original.

I have not listened to the original Megalovania in its entirety but from the first few measures, it seems to have similar issues with Bergentrückung in the sense that the notes aren't "snappy" enough - it's too fluid. Maybe an instrument with more buzz for track 3 - like one in the 60s.

Bergentruckung I new was crap, Ghost Fight is significantly better but without those fancy MIDI instruments.... perhaps it would be better to use pxtone instead. It's more versatile. Forcing these amazing tracks into ORG severely limits them.

I am happy with Megalovania though. I don't like instruments in the 60's when they go above C5 because... well, it sounds like a high-pitched pig squeal.

EDIT:
I made some improvements to Ghost Fight. I sped the song up just a smidge and added an echoing track to Track 1.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2015 at 7:14 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Uwa!! So Temperate♫

I really like the chord progression in this track so I attempted to transcribe it in ORG. Wasn't sure how to achieve echoey effect in melody but oh well.

I think your notes are more or less spot on, pitch wise, but I feel like the lead/melody instrument should be more "plucky", that is, having an envelope that looks more like the y=1/x function than the y=-x function:
p207716-0-772313.jpg

More like this
And also the main bass instrument in the beginning needs more reverb as well, which would require more than 1 track.

@SuperJaws I'll listen to yours later, it's getting a bit late here.

Here's something I made, a remake of my old cover of Fallen Down:

EDIT: Okay I took a listen to your orgs SuperJaws, and the only one that doesn't contain a lot of wrong notes is Fallen Down. I'm not sure where you got the music/sheets/midi for some of those, but you might want to double check them.

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:16 PM
EDIT: Okay I took a listen to your orgs SuperJaws, and the only one that doesn't contain a lot of wrong notes is Fallen Down. I'm not sure where you got the music/sheets/midi for some of those, but you might want to double check them.

The Megalovania ORG is based off the version that Toby made for Homestuck, I couldn't find Undertale specific sheet music. The notes for that are correct.

As for the others, they are hard to transcribe by ear, and at some point, that's what somebody had to do. Ghost Fight I am fully aware has wrong notes in the melody, but I'm not sure how best to fix it.. The base is correct, I think. Bergentruckung is just plain crap. I think those are the only four I've released so far.

Your Fallen Down cover is really good though.

EDIT:
Uwa!! So Temperate♫

I really like the chord progression in this track so I attempted to transcribe it in ORG. Wasn't sure how to achieve echoey effect in melody but oh well.

What areas are the "Uwa!!" tracks from? I don't remember hearing them in game.

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:57 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
What areas are the "Uwa!!" tracks from? I don't remember hearing them in game.

They're from the gamepad/joystick config screen (yes, there are songs just for that, for the different areas even).

Also your Megalovania notes are wrong (I'm pretty sure), so I'll whip up an org to show you in a bit (busy right now).

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:04 PM
Professional Whatever
bergenfückin (apparently there was a problem with the name, should be fixed now)

...i kind of want to try my hand at the whole theme now, oh no

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2015 at 9:02 PM
thinks dogs are cool
sorry for butting my head in here after all this time but
undertale fucked me up, down, sideways and all around

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:37 PM
THE GAME GRUMPS ARE PLAYING UNDERTALE.

YESSSSSS!!!!

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:40 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
tbh imo I wouldn't recommend watching someone else play it at least until you play it yourself
It's one of those things you really want to experience raw and unfiltered.

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:41 PM
tbh imo I wouldn't recommend watching someone else play it at least until you play it yourself
It's one of those things you really want to experience raw and unfiltered.

True, and the GG do say that, but if you've played it and want to watch the best/worst Let's Players in the world play the best game ever, watch them.

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:57 PM
Beakface
I think your notes are more or less spot on, pitch wise, but I feel like the lead/melody instrument should be more "plucky", that is, having an envelope that looks more like the y=1/x function than the y=-x function:
p207716-0-772313.jpg

More like this
And also the main bass instrument in the beginning needs more reverb as well, which would require more than 1 track.

Okay, I tried making use of all 8 tracks for the melody and bass, as well as making the notes for the melody decay very fast. here's an updated version.

Here's something I made, a remake of my old cover of Fallen Down:
The orchestration for this is beautiful and delicate; I think the piano/flute combination works well, so much that it seems a bit empty when the flutes suddenly go away briefly after being introduced. I like how this takes after the reprise, but takes it to a different direction with a variation on the "Once Upon a Time" / Undertale motif. The key change (or what sounds like a key change at 1:15 ish) seems a bit too abrupt - having the melody hint more at the transition or a pickup with the bass probably would have smoothed it out a little more. Also the flute at the very end felt like it needed long notes to accompany it - having it play solo seems too abrupt and loses the pacing a bit. But overall a very nice arrangement.

I've tried to make Another Medium in ORG for a challenge - I can't figure out the piano notes that open the loop, so I ended up just bringing in the embellishing notes as a fade in.

Oct 6, 2015 at 11:06 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
THE GAME GRUMPS ARE PLAYING UNDERTALE.

YESSSSSS!!!!
no they're not
steam train is
game grumps implies arin and danny are
and that's a bad thing to imply

Oct 6, 2015 at 11:55 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Okay, I tried making use of all 8 tracks for the melody and bass, as well as making the notes for the melody decay very fast. here's an updated version.

Okay one thing I have to clarify here is that "Reverb" isn't equivalent to "Delay/Echo". They're actually rather different effects, and in orgmaker, the best way to achieve reverb i find is normally to just make note tails longer. So, for example, with the bassline I'd use 2 alternating tracks instead of just one, with a track playing every other note, so that I could extend the note tails without them having be cut off right away by the next note.

The orchestration for this is beautiful and delicate; I think the piano/flute combination works well, so much that it seems a bit empty when the flutes suddenly go away briefly after being introduced. I like how this takes after the reprise, but takes it to a different direction with a variation on the "Once Upon a Time" / Undertale motif. The key change (or what sounds like a key change at 1:15 ish) seems a bit too abrupt - having the melody hint more at the transition or a pickup with the bass probably would have smoothed it out a little more. Also the flute at the very end felt like it needed long notes to accompany it - having it play solo seems too abrupt and loses the pacing a bit. But overall a very nice arrangement.

Yeah I thought it was kind of odd in the original reprise that the motif sort of just takes over the song instead of trying to integrate itself much. I'm not sure I agree with you about the key change being too abrupt, but I've heard this too many times now so I'm always expecting it. And I would've paced the ending a bit better to more gradually go to just the flute at the end but I felt that I would have the song repeating itself too much if I did so.

I've tried to make Another Medium in ORG for a challenge - I can't figure out the piano notes that open the loop, so I ended up just bringing in the embellishing notes as a fade in.

I think wav 75 would be a more appropriate choice for track 2. Also, you're missing the strings/choir synth that comes in at bar 4 in addition to the synth bass there?

I think you should be using a different wav for the lead from bars 20-28, this one just doesn't sound very good at a high pitch.

The secondary supporting track that comes in at 31 should be the same wav that starts the melody at 28, because they're the same in the original song and it sounds more disjointed with them being different wavforms here.

Your notes sound right for the most part (didn't hear any tone discrepancies myself), so that's good.

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:01 AM
Beakface
Also, you're missing the strings/choir synth that comes in at bar 4 in addition to the synth bass there?

Oh, the choir bit right? That was supposed to be what track 1 was. But I had trouble picking the right instrument for it, because it's really in the background so I didn't want it to overpower the bass. Perhaps I set it to be too low.

Your notes sound right for the most part (didn't hear any tone discrepancies myself), so that's good.

Thanks; I know that track 2 kind of blips itself out every few measures but I wasn't able to replicate it in ORG, so I ended up leaving them as is. I'll try your suggestions for the instruments later tonight if I remember to.

Oct 7, 2015 at 2:19 AM
Snowdin Town

Not really sure if I picked the right instruments. Probably not. Partially by ear, partially through sheet music.