Putting Real Music in CS

Oct 4, 2015 at 9:37 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Alright, so I've looked everywhere on the forums. I KNOW a hack exists that lets you replace the drum tracks or add a .dll or something that lets you put one or two actual songs into a mod. I'm pretty sure I've seen it used as well.

So.... me knowing barely anything about coding (I've got the general idea of how Assembly works but that's it) and not knowing any of the languages for it...

How do I add real music to a mod? My intention is to take a WAV I have of "Dummy!" from Undertale and putting it into the Welcome to the Forums mod.

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:45 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
This hack allows for custom samples to be added into Cave Story. It can be pretty much anything... including full songs. However, it is much better to have shorter samples when using this hack, as certain actions can cause undesirable results (e.g. if you're using a full song as a sample, alt+tab out of the game will cause the sample to stop, thus making the current room completely silent until another song is played). If that's fine with you, applying the hack shouldn't be too much work if you follow the instructions closely.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:28 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
It's kind of difficult to support both ORGs and some other music format... I'm sure someone could get it to work though.
EDIT: For example, how would the TSC for it work?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2015 at 3:28 AM
This hack allows for custom samples to be added into Cave Story. It can be pretty much anything... including full songs. However, it is much better to have shorter samples when using this hack, as certain actions can cause undesirable results (e.g. if you're using a full song as a sample, alt+tab out of the game will cause the sample to stop, thus making the current room completely silent until another song is played). If that's fine with you, applying the hack shouldn't be too much work if you follow the instructions closely.

I only need one drum track replaced, so it should be fine. Thanks!

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:36 PM
Hey, just found out another way to do it. Record the song as a WAV, stick it into Pxtone, stretch it out REALLY long, then put it in with Noxid's Pxtone.dll hack. I'm making the Pxtone file now, will make try it out soon.

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:41 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hey, just found out another way to do it. Record the song as a WAV, stick it into Pxtone, stretch it out REALLY long, then put it in with Noxid's Pxtone.dll hack. I'm making the Pxtone file now, will make try it out soon.

This will work, but the pxtone files will be huge. Try saving it as a ogg instead, since pxtone can use oggs as samples, I think (and it will be so much smaller).

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:19 AM
This will work, but the pxtone files will be huge. Try saving it as a ogg instead, since pxtone can use oggs as samples, I think (and it will be so much smaller).

Uh... is it huge because of the WAV or because of its length? Because I just force the tempo to play the song in 10 measures.

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:23 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Uh... is it huge because of the WAV or because of its length? Because I just force the tempo to play the song in 10 measures.

Because it's a wav. A wav is an uncompressed format. To give you a comparison, an ogg is to a wav like a jpg is to a bmp. So you'll likely be saving a lot of space by using an ogg instead.

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:28 AM
Because it's a wav. A wav is an uncompressed format. To give you a comparison, an ogg is to a wav like a jpg is to a bmp. So you'll likely be saving a lot of space by using an ogg instead.

Alright. One thing, how does one implement the Pxtone.dll hack, how do I use it in the TSC, and can I use ORGs along side the one Pxtone track?

EDIT:

Also, how does one put a Pxtone song into the .dll?

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2015 at 12:37 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Alright. One thing, how does one implement the Pxtone.dll hack, how do I use it in the TSC, and can I use ORGs along side the one Pxtone track?

EDIT:

Also, how does one put a Pxtone song into the .dll?

Noxid's the one you're gonna wanna ask about that, as he's the only one who ever used the hack, I believe.

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:45 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I never really wrote it to be "implementable", it's as it says - a proof of concept
there still needs to be a lot of work done to make it support the existing <CMU commands or stuff like that. It's just hard-coded to load one song.
Fee free to reverse-engineer it if you know what you're doing but I wouldn't want to go through that rigamarole myself.

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:13 AM
I never really wrote it to be "implementable", it's as it says - a proof of concept
there still needs to be a lot of work done to make it support the existing <CMU commands or stuff like that. It's just hard-coded to load one song.
Fee free to reverse-engineer it if you know what you're doing but I wouldn't want to go through that rigamarole myself.

I don't even know what coding language it's in. Or how to open it. Or anything. So no, I have no idea what I'm doing. Blast.

Back to the drum hack.