Another Music Challenge...

ROUND 1: Which ORG do you think best fit its character? (Pick two)

• "Death Waltz" by ColdCallerloppy for the Doctor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "Eatbleed" by Phantop CS for Mahin

• "Unholy Demon" by 2DBro for Ballos

• Total voters
Aug 27, 2015 at 9:27 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
After a couple days of deciding, I think I can say that the better entries of this group were "Boo Star", "Chivalry is Dead" and "Tpmalco". I will say this about the other themes/users in general though:

2DBro, you've got some all right ideas for themes. The lead for themes are all right, but to me they just seem like a start to a theme and don't have enough weight in them to make for a short loop. Consider experimenting more with extra voices and counterpoint.

hate9, the Curly theme is quite grating on the ears yes but I think the percussion is pretty decent. I find it interesting that you use Per01 as part of accenting the strong beat. Also, choosing Wave 00 for track 1 when you have a bunch of loud instruments taking the lead means it totally gets drowned out. When I set it something like Wave 66, then I can at least hear that part and the piece has some better pacing. But from what I gather, this was created when you thought you could only use the default instruments for making a mod?

As for your King theme, I like the idea of using a tremolo decay for the higher notes, but they definitely needed some different instruments. Additionally, do try using the Notes Volume (2) tool or messing around with volume enveloping for your lead.

Strangely enough, despite having clashing harmonies, ColdCallerloppy has a way of making them sound listenable. I'll admit "Death waltz" doesn't sound pretty, but it's not entirely grating on the ears. Part of that, I think, has to do with instrument choice. So yeah, I thought that was worth mentioning.

Uh PhantopCS' was interesting...a 317 is something I've never seen before. Also the repeat range is set from bar 8 to 48, yet you still have some sounds and those don't end until bar 10, leaving many measures of silence with occasional music looping. Not sure if that was intentional or not, but it was quite odd to me. As for the music itself, it was very scattered and sort of reminded me of a low range, less refined version of An Untitled Story's music unused StrangeCastle track.

Jpzarde's piece didn't have enough momentum in the beginning and not a strong enough lead to carry the lead. Which is a shame, because the last half of the piece is quite nice. It reminds me of "Scorching Back" a lot. But when the piece starts out so soft and introduces track 4, it comes too strong.

Overall, I'm just kind of curious as to the approach participants took when making their theme. Did anyone try to focus on character, or take their character's personality into account?

Ultimately I ended up voting for Tpcool and CookedChef's entries. I'm not even sure if Tpcool's fits the theme of Malco, but he completely sold me on it. A jazzed up entry makes any character look and sound good. CookedChef had a really simple, but well executed piece. It does feel a little empty, but I feel like it worked in the music's favour in reflecting loneliness, which seemed to be suiting for Momorin, at least for me.

Safu's entry had awesome accompaniment, but the melody seemed to be really drowned out from the moment it was introduced. I also feel like track 5's notes shouldn't have decayed so quickly, as it makes the notes seem all detached and the piece loses its flow. Track 6 at bar 16 also just makes the piece feel lost. But again, I do like the embellished notes and the intro with tracks 8 and 4 are just lovely stuff.

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:16 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I already knew my song sucked...

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:16 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I already knew my song sucked...
It's not necessarily that, it's just that it doesn't exactly fit Mahin. Here, I'll whip up a little something to show you what I'm talking about. Just a moment... or, you know, a lot of moments. It's ORG making.

EDIT:

Nevermind I can't find inspiration. For Mahin I would have done something slow and Russian-esque, because I think of Mahin as a rich fat Russian oligarch.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2015 at 4:15 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I was trying something slow but just screwed up and put together the best I could... I need some org making practice...

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:32 AM
"Huzzah!"
\Jpzarde's piece didn't have enough momentum in the beginning and not a strong enough lead to carry the lead. Which is a shame, because the last half of the piece is quite nice. It reminds me of "Scorching Back" a lot. But when the piece starts out so soft and introduces track 4, it comes too strong.

I spent a few hours total doing the first quarter of the song, and than finished up the rest of it on the last day of entry submission, so no doubt I rushed it. Song would probably be less sluggish if it were in 4/4 time rather than 5/4. I left specific instruments as an afterthought, as I had already started the song with the default instruments, probably a poor choice.

I'm glad you liked the second half though! Although I wasn't really aiming for a "Scorchy Back" resemblance, nonetheless I'm still glad it turned out well.

Aug 29, 2015 at 5:51 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
I see how most people tried putting their songs in last minute and the ones who did good did great and have my vote anyday. And for the ones who didn't do a good job or thought they could've done better; I see these contests as a way for our songs to be criticized in a fair manner so we can improve our songs in the future and improve our skills to make more genuine and intriguing songs.

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:05 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Another great contest so far. The three themes that I've really been enjoying are At Ease, Boo Star, and Chivalry is Dead (Requiem for a Polarstar is also good, but not quite on the same level as the other 3). My initial vote was for At Ease and Boo Star, but I'm having a really tough time deciding if I want to take back my vote for At Ease and give it to Chivalry is Dead... the latter is simple and more catchy. Sorry RSK ; (

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:22 AM
Alright, this new voting system is butts. You can't change the question once it's up, you can only have one question, and you can't even edit it to work additional "Round Two" specific questions into the original. As such, I'll just conclude a majority and say that "Tpmalco" by TPcool is the winner of the contest! Congratulations.

Sorry for the late update on this, I had school stuff to do.

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:00 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Thank you for the contest SuperJaws. :) I'm honored to have placed first, and it truly makes me feel special that so many people voted for my entry. I really mean it: seeing people like GIR (my inspiration for making ORGs in the first place) vote for my entry, as well as being able to beat Safusaka (who has many more years of musical experience under his belt) has helped me realize that I haven't wasted my time making so many ORGs in the past few years, and that I've really been improving.

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:50 AM
"Huzzah!"
As ever, it is a pleasure to participate in such a contest with you all!

Also,

HOLY F** SH**, I GOT A VOTE ON MY ENTRY! HOLY SH** F*** BALL**** AND D***GRAVY, I CAN'T- F**ING C*** C*** AND CURRY, THIS IS THE GREATEST F*** DAY OF MY LIFE! THANK YOU BASED DOUBLETHANK YOU!

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:28 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
Congrats to Tpcool! His song was well deserving of first place, and my favorite out of my two votes (the other being safu's). It feels good to have atleast gotten third, I honestly didn't expect to get that many votes.

Anyway, gg. This was fun.

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:22 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
Should we decide on another contest, these are fun to do, also the next KWDNGVACC will be be at the assembly hall tomorrow night at 7:00 P.M.

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:10 PM
When I get around to it I'll make some custom "trophy" signature pictures for the winners of the past two contests if they want them.

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:17 PM
"Huzzah!"
Should we decide on another contest, these are fun to do, also the next KWDNGVACC will be be at the assembly hall tomorrow night at 7:00 P.M.
I won't be able to make it to the meeting you guys, I am sorry :(