I want to translate Cave Story+. How can I do?

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:27 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Hey guyz, I need your help again. I just translated the map names (I modified the text that appears on the middle of the screen when you enter in a place) by using Booster's Lab. I just modified that name, not other things. But this causes some bugs in the game, like Balfrog that doesn't appear, the game shuts down by itself and so more. Do you know what have I to do?
EDIT: Balfrog bugs just if I change the map name of "Gum". The same thing is for the endings. If I change the map name of a map that appears before the credits, the credits don't appear and the game shuts down by itself

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:37 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
the maps have two different kinds of name - the short name and the long name.
You should only change the long name because the short name [like "Gum"] is only used to find which file is loaded for the map

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:23 PM
I just changed the "display name".. The name that appears in-game. An example.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/1fegyp.jpg

EDIT: I'm trying to use a Hex Editor. I'll let you know the rest.
I solved the problem just with a hex editor. I think Booster's Lab has a little bug in changing the display name of the map, Noxid. Perhaps you can try to fix this bug in an update uwu

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:25 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'll look into it.

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:00 AM
I love you.

Try looking trough the game files, there will be a .bmp file, if it's hard-coded into the game you're on your own.

Anyway this project sounds cool, if only there we're some way you could give us a version without breaking the law.

I found those texts. They are in the CS+.exe, but I don't know how to translate them.. If I do this with a Hex Editor, the .exe is no longer valid. By the way, I just translated and checked it :) I checked twice the story, I have to translate all the rest of the game (Curly Story, challenges and menu texts).

By the way.. If I just upload the italian patch, I'm not breaking the law, perhaps? I think that isn't a big crime, I just translated a game that Nicalis or Pixel didn't translate. (sorry for my english... here are 3 a.m., I'm just sleepy ^^")

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:39 AM
I think it should be just fine if you upload your patch.
For now, I gave it to friends of mine just to test the translated game. The translation is a beta yet. When the translation will be complete, I'll release the translated patch -w- For now, I have just to complete Curly Story, translate the Challanges and resolve a bug. I think that I won't translate the menu texts.. I think it's too hard for me. I think I have to recode the entire .exe to translate it! D: