Dumbest thing you've done during your first playthrough of cave story?

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:57 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Cave Story did a lot of things right
The prerequisite list for the best ending was not one of them

Jul 4, 2015 at 7:27 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
DualHack said:
I don't remember a lot of REALLY dumb things that I did. But I do remember that I died to the fake door in the first cave. I was trying to tank hits and kill it as fast as possible, but I was really bad at button mashing at the time. So i wasn't able to kill it fast enough.
I think we have all done that. Or at least got tricked by the door. I play CS bout once a year and always fell for the door trick until like 1 or 2 playthroughs ago

Aug 29, 2015 at 8:08 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I fought the core without the tow rope. I only found out about it afterwards.

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:35 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I don't really remember, but probably the dumb stuff I did on the game was to die constantly on death traps, especially that one in Bushlands/Grasstown,
I would always forget the grass on top of it is not walkable... and also, I thought if you defeated the Sisters boss, the story would go on a different way,
but then I found out it's a completely optional boss :p

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:37 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Door, but also forgetting to feed Ma Pignon to Curly.

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:37 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It took me around two or three full playthroughs before I ever learned about the existence of the bubbline weapon.

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:40 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Got the booster 2.0 for the first time, hadn't saved in a while, died by a giant spike in "Egg Corridor?" Went all the way back to the beginning of the Labyrinth.

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:25 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I played hard mode the first time on the dsiware port.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:23 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Not noticing that demon door.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:55 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I'm sure everyone can attest to that spike in First Cave.

Aug 30, 2015 at 5:43 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
We all failed to that LOVELY spike of death at the beginning, whoever didn't probably knew ahead of time.

Aug 30, 2015 at 6:38 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
remember that one part where the games questions if you take curly with you after you empty the water out of her? i thought if i left her, she would wake up on her own and go out of her way to find me. guess not.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:50 AM
Veteran Member
This isn't Cave Story, but in Kero Blaster I didn't know you could increase your maximum health in the store and got to the fish boss with two hearts. Got the game today, so that's where I am. I thought the boss fights were a bit to hard. I think this post is on-topic enough. Kero Blaster was made by the same guy.

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:25 AM
War criminal
This isn't Cave Story, but in Kero Blaster I didn't know you could increase your maximum health in the store and got to the fish boss with two hearts. Got the game today, so that's where I am. I thought the boss fights were a bit to hard. I think this post is on-topic enough. Kero Blaster was made by the same guy.
So on-topic that it belongs to a thread outside of the Kero Blaster category.
p206181-0-ffpooov.png

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:50 AM
Veteran Member
So on-topic that it belongs to a thread outside of the Kero Blaster category.
p206181-0-ffpooov.png
There weren't any threads like this in there, and i thought it would be easier to just put it here. I think it's similar enough to the topic to be here.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2015 at 6:31 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Probably that part when you get thrown in jail and Sue gives you that letter. Took me forever (and after talking to Mahin a second time) to realize you had to read it for the opening to appear, lel.

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:48 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
After I rescued Curly, I skipped by the house where you drain the water, like 5 times. It kept saying that her life force ran out, so I thought that I needed to beat the waterway faster.

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:07 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Most of you are saying that dumbest fact was talking to booster instantly or leaving curly. HOW THE HELL COULD YOU KNOW ABOUT THE BEST ENDING?! It's not a dumb thing, it's just normal playthrough, that's why normal ending is normal ending, not 'semi-bad ending' or 'a bit egoistic ending, but not as egoistic as the worst one'. EVERYONE TALKED TO BOOSTER, except some players who thought 'aww, i don't care 'bout that ol' man, just keep going to quickly finish da game'. Well, to be honest, this hole doesn't look like you can jump over it when you are looking at it for the first time. So yeah, i did sam thing, also, i answered 'yes' to Kazuma's question and i flew away with him. Then i thought 'Woah, what a stupid and egoistic game, i hate the ending, never going to play this again. They should imagine something better than this, i want to know what happend to mimiga and all!' Then, after 3 months, i was bored so i opened cave story wiki, and i wanted to know some facts about Sue, because i was curious about her. Idk, maybe i thought that Wiki users have any theories or they found some facts i didn't. Then, i somehow found a page about Ballos. And i thought, 'Who the heck is Ballos?!'. Then i saw something like '(...)in the best ending.' And i was like 'WOAAAHT?! THERE ARE MORE OF ENDINGS?!' Then i tried to play from my last checkpoint, and i answered no. After long journey, i've done the game, thinking that i was doing everything right, and that i am going to meet ballos and all. Then i jumped with sue from the cliff in the balcony. And i was waiting for the final boss, anything. Then credits started to play. And i was still waiting. Then The End showed up. And i looked up on wiki again. Then, i've played the game one more time, and i found curly's panties. I was doing everything right, then, when i was travelling with Curly in the waterway, I thought that i will save her after all this stupid swimming. And it said that her life power disappeared. WTH?! I went to wiki again, then it told me about this room and draining water from her *facepalm*. So i had to do everything again. To make it more interesting, i've choosed curly story. And right now i am trying to pass through hell. Wish me good luck. And sorry for my English, i am from Poland.

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:12 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
HOW THE HELL COULD YOU KNOW ABOUT THE BEST ENDING
At the point where you see Booster falling from the sky, there is a block somewhere underneath you that looks suspicious from the beginning. But when you talk to booster, he says that his final luck has been used up, and dies. Giving the player a vague hint of that you did something wrong. If the player manages to skip talking to him, the game will be a bit different, eventually leading to the best ending unless the player still misses something.

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:15 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
At the point where you see Booster falling from the sky, there is a block somewhere underneath you that looks suspicious from the beginning. But when you talk to booster, he says that his final luck has been used up, and dies. Giving the player a vague hint of that you did something wrong. If the player manages to skip talking to him, the game will be a bit different, eventually leading to the best ending unless the player still misses something.
yeah, i know this, but this block doesn't look that suspicious. Also, maybe you did something wrong, but maybe someone don't want to do the whole gameplay again only to see if skipping him will do something.