Jul 12, 2011 at 10:58 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Sue's Workshop

I want this to be a walkthrough of sue's workshop because where as some stuff easy to work out, other parts arn't and there are some things I just cant get my head around.

I will start with, on eventedit mode there should be a slot next to the one about flags with placing things like items and characters down but its just not opening for me and I only get the one about flags? :muscledoc:

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:45 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Re: Sue's Workshop

Johnny said:
I want this to be a walkthrough of sue's workshop because where as some stuff easy to work out, other parts arn't and there are some things I just cant get my head around.

I will start with, on eventedit mode there should be a slot next to the one about flags with placing things like items and characters down but its just not opening for me and I only get the one about flags? :balrog:

I'm sorry to say that very few editors use Sue's Workshop. We use Cave Editor. I think Lowel is the only one who currently uses Sue's.

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:48 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Naw, Lowell is a CE man, I'm pretty sure.
You would be looking for me.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:28 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well, I started searching through this thread for the answer, but I'm far too lazy to go through over a hundred pages.

Anywho, I'm having a problem with using the time saved on the time counter to unlock things in-game.

Scenario:
*Start time*
Run through three levels
Save time at next zone, then three chests will be either locked or unlocked depending on your run time

I'm able to start the clock, complete the levels, and save the time, but I can't find any "<" function to set flags based on the saved time.

Can anyone help?

Danke, danke. :mrgreen:

P.S. Alternate means of making this work that don't include flags are also welcome.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:29 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Orange said:
I'm able to start the clock, complete the levels, and save the time, but I can't find any "<" function to set flags based on the saved time.

There are no such TSC functions that naturally exist. You would have to hack it in, regardless of whether or not you used flags.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:36 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
There are no such TSC functions that naturally exist. You would have to hack it in, regardless of whether or not you used flags.

Well, that's a bummer, seeing as I am damn near illiterate as far as hacking and programming goes outside of Amaya's TSC. :<

What else could be used to measure ability in lieu of time? To my limited knowledge, there are no TSC commands that measure shots fired, deaths, or anything of that matter, are there?

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:46 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Orange said:
Well, that's a bummer, seeing as I am damn near illiterate as far as hacking and programming goes outside of Amaya's TSC. :<

What else could be used to measure ability in lieu of time? To my limited knowledge, there are no TSC commands that measure shots fired, deaths, or anything of that matter, are there?

Well, it would be a bit tricky, but using skipflags and flags, you could set it up to count deaths. The game runs a TSC event on death, so just add a skipflag there, and later use that skip flag to set flags.

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:01 PM
Yeah, you could use sf's binary number code (in tsc) in order to count deaths.

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:39 PM
Professional Whatever
Re: Sue's Workshop

HyMyNameIsMatt said:
I'm sorry to say that very few editors use Sue's Workshop. We use Cave Editor. I think Lowel is the only one who currently uses Sue's.

I don't even understand sue's. When I try and use it, it never gives me any resources to work with.
Like, it shows the headings for maps, etc., but there's nothing under them.

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Johnny said:
I want this to be a walkthrough of sue's workshop because where as some stuff easy to work out, other parts arn't and there are some things I just

cant get my head around.

I will start with, on eventedit mode there should be a slot next to the one about flags with placing things like items and characters down but its just not opening for

me and I only get the one about flags? :balrog:

Those right-hand boxes are actually useless.
EDIT: NEVERMIND, I am a moron. Copy and paste npc.ini to your mod folder and you can now see (and double click) stuff in the right-hand boxes.

Now for the left-hand box. There you can change event number, sprite number (which is actually entity number), flags, and so forth.
When you want to add NPCs to the map, select one of the red plus sign icons and then click somewhere on the map.

Here is an illustration (In this picture I am using Sue's Workshop 0.3A):
diph.php

Sue's Workshop does have some advantages over CE - for example, multiple maps open at the same time, fewer bugs, running the game from the editor itself, etc.

However, if you ever want to add custom music, then you're going to have a tough time. This is one of the reasons I switched to CaveEditor.

(Please don't use Sue's and CE on the same mod. For example, when I switched, I started up a new mod.)

LunarSoul said:
I don't even understand sue's. When I try and use it, it never gives me any resources to work with.
Like, it shows the headings for maps, etc., but there's nothing under them.

You are probably opening an already CE-edited mod inside of Sue's Workshop. This is an extremely bad idea because the two editors are not compatible and they will screw your mod up if you use both.

Anyway, if you open a clean, not-edited-with-CE executable, you will be able to see and edit the maps, entities, TSC, and so on.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:46 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Carrotlord said:
Sue's Workshop does have some advantages over CE - for example, multiple maps open at the same time, fewer bugs, running the game from the editor itself, etc.

I think Cave Editor actually has virtually no bugs at this point. There was this one bug I sometimes had with the script editor randomly, but it appeared to be system specific when I opened it with ollydbg to find the source. It's only ever happened to me twice though.

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:16 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Well, it would be a bit tricky, but using skipflags and flags, you could set it up to count deaths. The game runs a TSC event on death, so just add a skipflag there, and later use that skip flag to set flags.

Don't skipflags reset when one closes the game? That way players would be able to die as much as they wanted to get used to the levels, then reset the game and run a flawless run. I guess there's no way no easy way to get around that, eh?

My plan B is just allowing the player to select only one of the three unique prizes. That in itself would be quite easy, but I was wondering if it was possible to switch the chests around on subsequent playthroughs. With that I guess I'd have to use the <RND function, but I don't entirely understand what the numbers are supposed to be. Could anyone shed some light on that one? :balrog:

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:17 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
<RND is a custom function that doesn't exist in plain CS, you are aware you'd have to patch it in right?

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:22 PM
Carrotlord said:
NOTHING HERE! :balrog:
Tually if you put npc.tbl into your root folder, those show all the possible entities.

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:49 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Noxid said:
<RND is a custom function that doesn't exist in plain CS, you are aware you'd have to patch it in right?

No, I didn't know that. I was just going off of the list embedded in CE's script editing window. :<

I guess I'll just stick to the one chest idea then, with static chests. Thanks for the answers, GIR and Noxid.

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:51 PM
That shouldn't be in the script editing window unless you have a hacked version of ce (presumably from noxid or gir) or summit.

Also, skipflags save when you save the game, just like normal flags, so you could accurately count the amount of deaths the player has. Even if they couldn't, you could have them dualy in normal flags as well, and load those up at the start.

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:57 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Orange said:
No, I didn't know that. I was just going off of the list embedded in CE's script editing window. :<

I guess I'll just stick to the one chest idea then, with static chests. Thanks for the answers, GIR and Noxid.

You could go with the ol' Zelda trick of three chests in front of you and you only get one (wouldn't be too hard), but that's all I can give you.

Or have some dialog beforehand that sets flags at each <YNJ, and then have a flag check run when you open the chest afterwords, kinda like getting your hair styled in Animal Crossing.

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:59 PM
Professional Whatever
cultr1 said:
You could go with the ol' Zelda trick of three chests in front of you and you only get one (wouldn't be too hard), but that's all I can give you.
When did the series ever do that?
Besides the near-pointless minigame in some of the games.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:01 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
LunarSoul said:

LunarSoul said:
the near-pointless minigame in some of the games.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:04 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
LunarSoul said:
When did the series ever do that?

A classic being the two chest minigame in Ocarina of Time, all that luck for a heart piece.

*face palms*