Balrog Ballos's Son?

May 31, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
On the cave story wiki page on Balrog, it seems to think that Balrog could possibly be Ballos's son, which makes sense. In the Nicalis version, Balrog refers to Jenka as 'Auntie'. Also, Ballos mentions 'consuming the son who adored me'. This would also make sense, as Balrog seems to be in a mechanical suit, as if he was scarred or damaged (a bit like darth vader).
What does everyone think?

Wiki page: http://cavestory.wikia.com/wiki/Balrog

May 31, 2013 at 3:58 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Isn't the wiki like, really bad?

May 31, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
The wiki is absolute failure condensed into a single site. I would advise, GreenKing, that you never listen to a word it says. O_o

As for Balrog being Ballos' son...well, it's possible. Maybe for some reason, he assisted his older cousin in demanding the Demon Crown, and was cursed along with her? Then at some point during the millenniums that follow, the clumsy derp somehow almost dies, resulting in Misery or Jenka patching his soul into a robot. Or, he was severely deformed during the magical death of Ballos' kingdom, resulting in the same thing. Who knows?

Definitely not the wiki, that's who. :p

May 31, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Yeah no the wiki is full of bullshit theories that whoever made the page threw in there because I'm fairly sure that no page is ever edited on there

Well except the one about the fourth ending but hayden was the one who got rid of that one sooooo

May 31, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Professional Whatever
Did they
seriously put the fourth ending on the wiki
You have got to be kidding me

But yeah OT it could have also been a side effect of the curse or something. Not sure why Misery wouldn't have been affected though.
If Balrog is related, though, why can't he use magic?

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Maybe he did, at some point. However, it's probable that robots in general can't use magic, so his MP was disabled when he became a robot.

On the other hand...

Maybe he does use magic! Obviously it's not very powerful, but perhaps he creates his energy bubbles and missiles with spells. I mean, Misery uses similar magic in the fights with her, right? And it's never quite shown how the missiles are deployed, suggesting he just spawned them.

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:24 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You never know. He could be.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:02 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Personally, I think he IS Ballos' son, but as for the Demon Crown, I dunno.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:20 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
He could be, but I think he's a robot toaster LOL

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:23 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
HES BASED OFF SOAP! FLIPPING SOAP!

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:35 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Maybe he is a toaster but his bread slots are on his sides and his flippers are the toast

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:44 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh lol

And curly I agree

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Before this turns into another "what is Balrog thread":

Pixel has stated the original Cave Story enemies were based off of bars of soap
Balrog in Japanese literally means king of (soap) bars.

you're welcome.

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
It is revealed in Cave story 3D that, when defeated, his arms go into the slots on his side, and his legs fold in.
p169524-0-1104969balrog108.png

Cavestory Wiki, does that look like ARMS TO YOU?

Anyway, while Balrog does in fact address Jenka as "Auntie" in the other releases, this is presumably a nickname for her and not to be taken as anything ground breaking.

Jun 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Based Member
I strongly disagree with any idea that Balrog is Ballos' son. There's just no connection, and no evidence of it. Balrog calling Jenka "Auntie" in the NICALiS translation was just an expression, and if I recall correctly, Pixel confirmed this on his BBS (or maybe Tyrone on Twitter, not sure which).

Badnik96 said:
Balrog in Japanese literally means king of (soap) bars.
maybe before he was under the doctor's control, he was the king of soap bars, and morgan freeman used him to wash his hands when they were dirty. And bill gates added wings to him which made him run off. Possibly. Who Knows?

And yes, the Cave Story wiki is the worst wiki I have ever laid eyes upon. Don't listen to outrageous theories from it like that. And in regards to the page of my fourth ending being an example of how bad it is, I'm not sure what gave Dunc the idea that I instigated its deletion. I haven't gotten super active there yet, and that wiki isn't my responsibility, so I decided to wait and see how long it would take for a regular user to report it and an admin to finally take care of it. It took over a month. The full story can be seen here and here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 5, 2013 at 4:15 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
The more you think about it the less convincing it gets.
The only connection I see after a bit is how Ballos*********************** :C sounds like Balrog (hence the first syllable) and previously how he called Jenka "auntie" - which was just confirmed to be a regular addressment (Jenka isn't his actual aunt).

I was hoping this would be the case for my series unfortunately. The fact that Ballos turned Balrog into a bar of soap isn't very convincing either.

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Based Member
ciaxel said:
Balrog sounds like Balrog...
You are absolutely correct, Balrog sounds almost exactly like Balrog :p

Jun 5, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Polaris said:
The wiki is absolute failure condensed into a single site. I would advise, GreenKing, that you never listen to a word it says. O_o
I agree.
There articles aren't the best, and most info is based on 1 Single version of the game (Usually the Nicalis Version)

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
HaydenStudios said:
You are absolutely correct, Balrog sounds almost exactly like Balrog :p
FFFFFFFFFFFFFF I MEANT BALLOS-----

Okay well generally it's a possibility. I've given it a bit of thought and it's entirely a possibility actually that he COULD be his son. Although we're not really going to get anywhere on these theories until Pixel confirms questions when he has the time on his part.

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Balrog has no father as he is the very manifestation of everything that's good in this world.