is jenka really ageless?

May 29, 2013 at 8:16 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
When you go to her house after the labyrinth she says "Even a witch can't cheat age or growing old. Believing in you is my last and only option now."
Is she really ageless?

May 29, 2013 at 8:35 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
NO.

May 29, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Well, being a witch, she probably has a very long lifespan - like, a few centuries or even millenniums more than the average human. Sure, she might look 20 at the age of 1532 or something, but yes, she would eventually age enough to die.

May 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
"Even a witch can't cheat age or growing old."
Isn't this pretty much the answer to the theory? It doesn't seem like something she'd lie about.

May 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Pessimistic theory :
Unless when Jenka gets too old, she sends out the hounds to look for a new host or to drain them...

Misery : ... If only they knew the truth about my family ...

elsewhere...
"*cough cough* It's time... Go forth and bring me a new body..."

*la la la*
"Oh what cute puppies! You want me to come with you???"
*Hours later*
"Where are we... I think I should turn around..."
"ARF!"
Jenka : "*cough cough* Hohoho, good puppies..."
!!! *ZAPPP*

*Sometime later*
Jen : Oh! I am so young! Again!

Jenka - A witch, necromancer that uses the dead to guard her home... Drains the life of the lands around her... The real mastermind...
"Ho ho ho... Now that Misery's curse has broken, it is only a matter of time... "

CAVE STORY 2 - RETURN OF THE WITCH

May 29, 2013 at 10:22 PM
LSD
"..."
You would eventually completely decompose after so many millennia that you wouldn't be 'alive' any more. You would just be a conciousness. There is a name for this, but I can't think of it.
And, as Lunarsoul said, you kind of did just answer your own question.

May 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Professional Whatever
Preservative magic could work, though. Who's saying she can't stop herself from decomposing?

May 30, 2013 at 2:04 AM
All in favore to no ....i

May 30, 2013 at 2:43 AM
Decomposing would only happen after the immune system completely gives out and bacteriahave the opportunity to do their dirty work. At that point the brain would be equally susceptable to decompisition as anything else, so even if survival were possible after every organ was being munched on by micro-organisms, your conciousness would not be preserved.

tl;dr
If you rot your brain rots too so you would not be a conciousness.

May 30, 2013 at 3:36 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
The body regenerates its cells naturally, which is why we're able to live as long as we do. In fact I believe that the forces that cause said regeneration to fail/stop are still unknown at this time, so theoretically it should be possible for that to go on forever. Especially if we're adding magic into the equation.

May 30, 2013 at 6:30 PM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
The body regenerates its cells naturally, which is why we're able to live as long as we do. In fact I believe that the forces that cause said regeneration to fail/stop are still unknown at this time, so theoretically it should be possible for that to go on forever. Especially if we're adding magic into the equation.
Theories surround the strange occurrence that telomeres seem to shorten as DNA is replicated for the new cells to use, and that some tumors are able to regenerate their telomeres without limit, and some types of cnidarians appear to not age at all.
Conclusion: Witches are actually jellyfish.

May 30, 2013 at 8:04 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Polaris said:
Well, being a witch, she probably has a very long lifespan - like, a few centuries or even millenniums more than the average human. Sure, she might look 20 at the age of 1532 or something, but yes, she would eventually age enough to die.
That is a very good idea... but maybe the island just has not been around that long and all of the crown holders had the demon crown for a short period of time.

May 30, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Professional Whatever
I don't see how that has any relevance. Jenka raised the island in the first place.

May 30, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Well, not necessarily. It's never explained why the island floats - for all we know, the island floated long before Ballos, Jenka, or the Core.

May 30, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Professional Whatever
Huh I thought that was canon but I could be wrong.

May 31, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
As far as I remember, it's never said anywhere in the game that Jenka rose the island. I've never played any of the Nicalis translations, so I can't say anything about those, but I don't think the retail versions ever say that either...

May 31, 2013 at 2:23 AM
I think it said somewhere that Jenka "created" the island, without going into specifics.

May 31, 2013 at 5:26 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Jenka created the labyrinth to protect something (the core) according to a Gaudi, not the island... or at least something that important isn't mentioned. I'll leave it to Hayden to correct this, if I've made a major mistake!

...You know. I never thought about it, but what if the labyrinth is a more recent development (around the time of the war) by Jenka. I have a feeling Gaudi wouldn't remember to carry out their duty to protect that place over the course of a lonnnng period of time.

If one believes the ancient looking Core Base is a recent development, then why not the labyrinth as well? Sure those areas might have existed in some form or another [like in the form of the out of place cave room that seperates the monster lair, core base, and waterway...]

After all, Balrog's dialouge about... "So you're betraying us then?" ...Or something along those lines to Jenka; might lend support to her protecting the island more actively back during the 10 years ago perhaps.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:16 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
X-Calibar said:
Pessimistic theory :
Unless when Jenka gets too old, she sends out the hounds to look for a new host or to drain them...

Misery : ... If only they knew the truth about my family ...

elsewhere...
"*cough cough* It's time... Go forth and bring me a new body..."

*la la la*
"Oh what cute puppies! You want me to come with you???"
*Hours later*
"Where are we... I think I should turn around..."
"ARF!"
Jenka : "*cough cough* Hohoho, good puppies..."
!!! *ZAPPP*

*Sometime later*
Jen : Oh! I am so young! Again!

Jenka - A witch, necromancer that uses the dead to guard her home... Drains the life of the lands around her... The real mastermind...
"Ho ho ho... Now that Misery's curse has broken, it is only a matter of time... "

CAVE STORY 2 - RETURN OF THE WITCH
Lol

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:32 AM
Based Member
When I first made this post I thought that it wasn't exactly specified whether or not Jenka created the island, or whether or not she made it start floating, or whether or not she and Ballos and the kingdom were already on it. But here's a little something I noticed when looking back upon what it specifically says. Read them carefully, multiple times perhaps...

The Aeon Genesis translation said:
Jenka, seeing her brother's madness, confined him to this floating island. That was the most she could do. Even as he was, she could not bring herself to kill her own brother...
The NICALiS Translation said:
Driven insane by his punishment, Ballos was confined to the floating island in the sky by his sister, Jenka. That was all she could do. For Jenka, killing her own younger brother would be impossible.
So, in the most literal sense, Jenka "confined him to this floating island", or Ballos "was confined to the floating island in the sky". So it isn't definite, but it does give a slight implication that it may have already been in the sky before Jenka confined him to it. I suppose it doesn't altogether eliminate the possibility that the kingdom was already on the island (perhaps the King's throne is the throne room where the idle Demon Crown dwells...). However, this isn't a super strong implication, just a mild one. Before I made this post, I didn't realize these somewhat noticeable implications, and have sided with what Sold said with Jenka raising the island. But upon further inspection, I'm going to take these implications seriously, and change back to my original belief that I held the first six months after playing Cave Story that the Kingdom took place somewhere on the surface, and that Jenka teleported and confined Ballos from there, to the island that was already in the sky. Back to the theory above of the throne room being from the kingdom, perhaps the kingdom wasn't originally on the island, but that part of it, along with Ballos, got teleported there when Jenka confined him there. So many possibilities.