Cave Story HD Remake Concept

May 25, 2013 at 3:25 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Rubyyoshi said:
*EDIT* Anyone know what causes posts to duplicate themselves, but not double post? First time this happened to me.
Double posts get automatically merged on this forum. Sometimes double posts are caused by network issues, so it shows up as a duplicate text. It's nobody's fault.

May 25, 2013 at 8:16 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Can you show us some animations you did in the past? Or just drawings?

May 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Than use them as a baseline, then heavilly modifiy them. Also, the reason Sonic 2 HD was cancelled, l0st screwed the team over by causing a bunch of lousy problems (Virus concerns due to faulty programing, DMR that shouldn't be there, Focusing on unimprotant things. You get the point)
Oh, I knew that, I was just saying how in all that time they only finished Emerald Hill.

I have the choice of a tablet or pixel by pixel, but were talking about HD.
Don't bother with pixel based images, use vectors S2HD used vector images, if you don't know what they are they are images that can scale to any size you want and not look blurry, fuzzy or pixelated, there are a number of different drawing tools that allow you to work in vectors; Flash, Photoshop, but the best is Illustrator I believe that is what they used in S2HD to create their vector images. Vector images can be done with a tablet or make use of the pen tool; an example of a game using the pen tool for vectors is World of Goo and an example of a game using the ta

And sorry for being a noob, I just thought it would be neat to share with the community.
It is neat, you don't have to apologise, it is a cool idea and it would be cool to see something like this, I was just making sure that, if you were being fully serious about this, that you knew what you were getting into, because most of the time projects like these fail because the teams either fall out or they get overloaded with work.

May 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
ElecMaw said:
Can you show us some animations you did in the past? Or just drawings?
I don't have any animations, but I am pretty good with drawing. I even have some rough sketches of HD Quote, a Critter and Balrog. They were all adapted from CS+ version of the sprites. What do you think? Sorry if there low quailty. I Took these on my 3DS camera.

PixelVortex said:
Oh, I knew that, I was just saying how in all that time they only finished Emerald Hill.

Don't bother with pixel based images, use vectors S2HD used vector images, if you don't know what they are they are images that can scale to any size you want and not look blurry, fuzzy or pixelated, there are a number of different drawing tools that allow you to work in vectors; Flash, Photoshop, but the best is Illustrator I believe that is what they used in S2HD to create their vector images. Vector images can be done with a tablet or make use of the pen tool; an example of a game using the pen tool for vectors is World of Goo and an example of a game using the ta

It is neat, you don't have to apologise, it is a cool idea and it would be cool to see something like this, I was just making sure that, if you were being fully serious about this, that you knew what you were getting into, because most of the time projects like these fail because the teams either fall out or they get overloaded with work.
Thanks Pixel Vortex. I am researching Vector Images and How to make them. Should I base the image of CS+'s sprites? Similar to what SONIC 2 HD was doing?

May 25, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Professional Whatever
p169002-0-kpbqthl.png

May 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Parkraft123 said:
I am pretty good with drawing.
Parkraft123 said:
Parkraft123 said:
*basically everything that guy said*
k so I'm going to help you. Please don't think of anything I'm going to say as mockery or insult, I will probably be harsh but it's for your own good.

First, take into account that Cave Story took 5 years for an adult genius to make.
Now I don't want to say that you're not intelligent (you seem to be writing fairly well for your age so it doesn't seem to be the case), but the thing is, it's very likely that you are not a genius either. Also you are 13 years old and, in this regard, you know pretty much nothing about the amount of work a game like Cave Story requires.
Well to be fair, being 13yo doesn't mean that you necessarily don't know that but, come on. The very fact that you are seriously considering the possibility of remaking a game that took 5 years of development with new content, new music and hand-drawn graphics with your level of skill shows that you aren't aware.
That's fine, though, it's never too late to learn.

As I said before, your idea represents a lot of work. Yeah no I take back what I said, it's not a lot of work.
It's a gargantuan amount of very hard and poorly rewarding work.
One good example would be Sonic 2 HD, that was abandoned even though a bunch of experienced people was working on it.
And while it's wonderful to have high dreams and expectations (I have a lot of these), you can't expect other people to take your idea seriously when you talk about them. It's alright to have a dream, but not everyone is Martin Luther King.

So I'll ask you to forgive my forummates and me for laughing at and trolling you, but ahahahahahahahahah

May 25, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Forever 12
Hiino said:
k so I'm going to help you. Please don't think of anything I'm going to say as mockery or insult, I will probably be harsh but it's for your own good.

First, take into account that Cave Story took 5 years for an adult genius to make.
Now I don't want to say that you're not intelligent (you seem to be writing fairly well for your age so it doesn't seem to be the case), but the thing is, it's very likely that you are not a genius either. Also you are 13 years old and, in this regard, you know pretty much nothing about the amount of work a game like Cave Story requires.
Well to be fair, being 13yo doesn't mean that you necessarily don't know that but, come on. The very fact that you are seriously considering the possibility of remaking a game that took 5 years of development with new content, new music and hand-drawn graphics with your level of skill shows that you aren't aware.
That's fine, though, it's never too late to learn.

As I said before, your idea represents a lot of work. Yeah no I take back what I said, it's not a lot of work.
It's a gargantuan amount of very hard and poorly rewarding work.
One good example would be Sonic 2 HD, that was abandoned even though a bunch of experienced people was working on it.
And while it's wonderful to have high dreams and expectations (I have a lot of these), you can't expect other people to take your idea seriously when you talk about them. It's alright to have a dream, but not everyone is Martin Luther King.

So I'll ask you to forgive my forummates and me for laughing at and trolling you, but ahahahahahahahahah
Okay, uh, Thank you Hiino?

May 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM
The Preacher
you're welcome

May 25, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Forever 12
May 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM
I think sonic 2 is already HD in the vintage version and ultimate genesis collection with smooth graphics.
Actually the smooth graphics looks 64 bit too me.

May 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Parkraft123 said:
I don't have any animations, but I am pretty good with drawing. I even have some rough sketches of HD Quote, a Critter and Balrog. They were all adapted from CS+ version of the sprites. What do you think? Sorry if there low quailty. I Took these on my 3DS camera.
Yeah, that's not going to work. Sorry.

May 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
May 25, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
the 3Ds could be 128 or 234-bit or hell even 468-bit.
This is my favorite quote.

May 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Forever 12
Dunc2403 said:
You can be quiet about bits because you have no fucking clue what you're talking about
Proof: http://metalsonic71.tumblr.com/post/49756936758/as-it-turns-out-pixels-cave-story-is-16-bit
Thanks for assuring I am not the Stupidest on this Fourm Sites. :)

ElecMaw said:
Yeah, that's not going to work. Sorry.
I have a scanner! I just didn't use it cause it takes a while to use it. Plus, I think i may be Vectorizing (correct term?) the plus images to make them less pixelated and more HD. Not that Pixels are bad.

May 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!

PixelVortex said:
Hand drawing sprites doesn't work and games that have done it have either used 2D Skeletons to animate separate pieces or have just stuck with having choppy poorly animated sprites
O_O *slaps you in the face repeatedly and prefusely*
May I refer you to Dust: An Elysian Tail

May 26, 2013 at 2:24 AM
May 26, 2013 at 4:07 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Parkraft123 said:
Thanks for assuring I am not the Stupidest on this Fourm Sites. :)
I'm sure there has been hundreds worse. You have correct grammar, thats a definite bonus over many, and you actually want to make something yourself with work, instead of "Give me another mod. I'm bored. hey, can someone make a cave story+ port of an edit I made, I can't do anything myself."

You seem committed, but unless its apparent that you (and the guy who may or may not help you with coding) are actually able to make any progress, and that this won't be abandoned like the sonic hd game that you keep referring to... many of us won't put our own serious effort into it.

By the way, this thread pretty much turned into HD graphics. What about all the other things like new areas? I believe you said that in the first post.

May 26, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
metalsonic71 said:
So now you're assuming that I don't know what I'm talking about when that post just explained everything.
It's really very easily clear that you have no clue what you're talking about, what with saying that megaman's sprite was 32-bit even though that's the sprite he used in his first game, which was 8-bit. And also claiming that the DS was on a 128-bit (234-bit or 468-bit) system, which is quite ludicrous (few machines ever have used 128-bit, let alone 234 or 468 (where did you even get these numbers from...)).

May 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Parkraft123 said:
I have a scanner! I just didn't use it cause it takes a while to use it. Plus, I think i may be Vectorizing (correct term?) the plus images to make them less pixelated and more HD. Not that Pixels are bad.
No, that's not what i meant. You need to be way better at drawing if you want to make this happen. Like, way better. Animation is an entirely different work in itself, and to get even started with that you need to be (very) good at drawing. And that's not taking in account how long this would take in itself, and if anyone is really waiting for a HD remake of cave story.
If you ask me, it's not worth it at all and even if you were willing, it's far out of your reach right now. I don't think any of the artists on this forum would be capable of making your project happen, either.

Ultimate Nerd-meister said:
  O_O *slaps you in the face repeatedly and prefusely*
May I refer you to Dust: An Elysian Tail
Keep in mind Dean Dodrill is a professional animator, and it still took him 3 1/2 years to make his game. He also worked on Jazz Jackrabbit, suggesting he has been practising his art for at least a decade.