Cave Story 2?

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:00 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Cave Story 2 would be a great game that wouldn't be too repetitive with respect to the original.
The problem is, Pixel and Nicalis won't make one. Also, all the good modders are too dumb to start one, thinking it cliche.

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:02 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Also, all the good modders are too dumb to start one, thinking it cliche.

I think Pixel has explicity forbidden the creation of a fanmade sequel in the past. Not that it's stopped some people, but he won't endorse anything fanmade as a sequel I think.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Cave Story 2 could work. Perhaps it could only get better with each sequel D:
You thought Cave Story was good??? Wait till Cave Story 3!

[Imagining something in the lines of Sonic the Hedgehog's original series progression lol]

Personally, the closest I think we'll get to a CS2 is Wind Fortress. If you take that idea and manage to extrapolate a game from the concept, perhaps you can at least mod a CS2.

In any case, I don't think there is a lack of material to work with. It isn't called Quote Story, it's Cave Story. And if the island has persisted for sooo long, then surely once again someday that place will have a relevant story to tell.
Perhaps it will have nothing to do with what we've learned in Cave Story.
And since it's called Cave Story, is it limited to the island? Perhaps we can have an ending where we learn about how Kazuma and Quote became best buddies in the caves, hiding away from the Doctor. I want to know how they pass the time!

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:45 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
The answer is a billion.

And we will buy it every time.

:hoppy:

I'm tempted to send Pixel an e-mail on this topic.

But he may not understand me :muscle doctor:

EDIT: Shoot, I did the emote wrong.

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I'm tempted to send Pixel an e-mail on this topic.

But he may not understand me :muscle doctor:

EDIT: Shoot, I did the emote wrong.

I find it hilarious that you edited to point out your mistake but not to actually correct the emote xD

And yeah, you could. Pixel at least has a rudimentary knowledge of English, and even if he doesn't respond to everything, I know he probably reads everything.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:30 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
:muscledoc: < this is the one you're looking for.

also: don't be too disheartened if he doesn't reply.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:37 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I find it hilarious that you edited to point out your mistake but not to actually correct the emote xD

And yeah, you could. Pixel at least has a rudimentary knowledge of English, and even if he doesn't respond to everything, I know he probably reads everything.

I'm too lazy to fix it. XD
And plus I'm worried that my e-mail will go to his spam folder.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:05 AM
"Huzzah!"
Personally, I'd rather have a Cave Story 2 as opposed to yet another revision of the first game. I don't see how a sequel could ruin anything. I for one am very hopeful for an official sequel.

As for a fan-made Cave Story 2? That could be bad or good. It would most likely be bad if the fan got carried away with trying to make an awesome plot (and it is easy, as a fan, to get carried away). I think a fan-made sequel would be better off focusing on a game that is like a side-quest; like a small story that has no effect on the main plot (something like Link's Awakening, for those of you who are familiar with the Zelda franchise). I think it would be great if fans quit thinking about trying to make a full-on Cave Story 2 and thought about maybe something that could be in between??

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Pixel has stated several times in the past that he's against a collaborative fan-made Cave Story 2, if any of you were wondering.

I agree that a sequel should have a very different setting, and maybe even be called something totally different. The hardest part would probably be coming up with new gameplay elements to avoid it feeling too much like a mod.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:33 PM
"Huzzah!"
Pixel has stated several times in the past that he's against a collaborative fan-made Cave Story 2, if any of you were wondering.

I agree that a sequel should have a very different setting, and maybe even be called something totally different. The hardest part would probably be coming up with new gameplay elements to avoid it feeling too much like a mod.

To be honest, I've already begun a game that takes place after the best ending of Cave Story, but I don't think Pixel would be against it. I'm not calling it Cave Story 2 and it really wouldn't make any sense to do so anyway. I'm considering the game to be a kind of heavily interactive 3D fanart fanfic (my way of avoiding saying "3D action game"). :orangebell: Anyway, it has a very focused setting, and it keeps story to a minimum, mostly playing along with what is already there from the original game. I understand how Pixel would have a problem with a fan-made Cave Story 2, but I can't see how he'd have a problem with this, unless he has a problem with practically every mod out there (though this isn't a mod). "Several times"? I guess I'm gonna have to search around the forums. I only saw one thread in the past where he said no, but it seemed like a bit of a misunderstanding?

Anyway, I'm not trying to make Cave Story 2, just a little game that takes place some time after the first.

EDIT:
After searching, I've only found one time where Pixel actually said he did not permit a fan game to be made that was named "Cave Story 2":
S. P. 08/31-22:22
Hello Pixel-san.
I would like to ask you for permission to make a Cave Story fan game named "Cave Story 2".
A fan made sequel.
Pixel 09/02-21:13
> S. P.
I don't permit that.

Can't find anything else.

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:41 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
That's probably the only record on this forum, but I recall Pixel consistently drawing the line at serious sequels. His BBS doesn't track very far back either so you may just have to take my word for it. I don't know if he's changed his mind or not, but I doubt it. At this point I'd imagine that he's getting pretty tired of hearing about what's being done with Cave Story >_>

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:53 AM
"Huzzah!"
There's a fine line between fan made 'sequel', which is frowny face, and fan made "alternate universe reimagining of Cave Story which co-incidentally happens to take place after a 'Doctor' did something with a red crystal. But not THAT red crystal. No, this is a completely different Doctor, even if he does look the same as that other Doctor we shan't name in the sepia toned flashback cutscenes." Which is TOTALLY OKAY.

Let's face it. We all dream of making a mod so awesome, Pixel rolls up to our house with a limo and a hot tub, and announces, "You are the most awesome #1 fan ever. Your mod is the OFFICIAL CAVE STORY 2!"

Or is that just me? @_@

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:34 AM
"Huzzah!"
That's probably the only record on this forum, but I recall Pixel consistently drawing the line at serious sequels. His BBS doesn't track very far back either so you may just have to take my word for it. I don't know if he's changed his mind or not, but I doubt it. At this point I'd imagine that he's getting pretty tired of hearing about what's being done with Cave Story >_>

If that's so, then I I'd have to respect that and back down, but I don't see how he'd have a problem with my idea, which is basically "A Cave Story Christmas". The game would only consist of a small house on a mountainside (I don't want to spoil but I'm sure you can guess who all lives there), a frozen-over lake which is lower on the mountainside, the tip of the mountain (which has a beautiful view of the moon at night), and a small cave system (which is the bulk of the game). The plot has nothing to do with the Doctor, it doesn't revive Ballos, nothing like that, and because of it's holiday/winter focus, it's not really able to be called Cave Story 2. Plus, it's pretty different, as it's a 3rd-person shooter.

I'm convinced Pixel won't mind this game being completed, as long as it's made clear that this is obviously not an official game, that it is a fan-made game, and as long as it has proper unavoidable disclaimers to let everyone know that it is a freeware game that is not to be sold or to be used to gain money in any way.

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
That sounds fine. Some of the weapons (Machine Gun!) would be great to see in 3D, actually :chin:

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:28 PM
"Huzzah!"
That sounds fine. Some of the weapons (Machine Gun!) would be great to see in 3D, actually :chin:

Noted. But, anyway, more on topic, I thought I saw somewhere where Pixel said he was planning a Cave Story 2, or at least that it was a very good possibility, but I can't find the source. In the same bit of info, he talked about how he preferred working alone on games, but he would join with others if necessary. I believe it was an interview, and I think I came across it while searching for Cave Story music remixes, or maybe I was searching for fan art... hmm. :droll: ...

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:55 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
i'm not gonna hold my breath, CS ended pretty tightly

Oct 26, 2012 at 7:39 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"

Well, to be fair; the game is called Cave Story, not Quote Story... So, as long as it has *something* to do with the island at some point, there's a world of possibilities for a game in the same timeline or just universe.

For instance, although Balrog, Q and C have taken off... What happened to the countries of the surface?
And if you're following Q and C; Balrog seems like the type to find trouble.

Of course there's room for more stories on the island itself. Even if Ballos and his Magic are TRULY gone [though Ballos' supposed end was a bit troubling to me. Is he really totally gone? Is the Doctor really totally gone? The wild magic gone? Kinda weird ending, "The pain!" and the walls close in to kill you? Was that Ballos doing that? Or The Doctor? If Ballos, I guess it's possible the skulls were just trapping Ballos for good, and you just happened to be in the room at the time. No hard feelings.]

What was Booster up to, visiting Jenka?

Is magic ONLY at the Island? Or is magic scattered throughout the world? Perhaps there's a bigger picture to discover, and the Island was just the tip of it? Cthulhu...

And finally Misery is free. What was her original goal when going after the Crown... Did she accomplish it? How does magic work? Does she inherit any of Ballos' power if he's passed on?

etc etc~

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:09 PM
"Huzzah!"

As X-Calibar pointed out, Cave Story 2 has plenty of rich and interesting options for plot, all while still staying very connected to the first game and it's characters. In addition to all the stuff X-Calibar said, there is something fairly big that is left hanging in the air, which I am going to make use/mention of in the Cave Story fan game I've just started working on. I'd rather not spoil it though... Bam! Revelation! I can use a spoiler for the spoiler. Sometimes I feel brilliantly intelligent. If you click the spoiler, only you can blame yourself for ruining the surprise that my fan game is planned to hold:
"Jenka: The enraged Mimigas, likely unable to control their own actions, disappeared without a trace.
Jenka: If rumors are to be trusted, they descended to the surface, where humans live.
Jenka: An army of ferocious Mimigas loosed upon the earth...
Jenka: If that were true..."

This left it open so that frenzied Mimigas could be on the surface, probably in a cave some place, cuz they luv'em cavez. Being in a cave makes it more believable that they could go undiscovered for a long period of time. If I'm overlooking something, please tell me (I'm going to double check on my own anyway, but it might save me time if you point out a fatel flaw). If there is a problem with it, I'll just have to make up more new enemies and alter the plot accordingly, but I'm pretty sure it's solid.

Note: I just realized I keep plugging my fan game concept here. Sorry, it was unintentional. I'll shut up about it for now and I'll make a thread specifically for it when the time comes.

Bottom line: If Cave Story 2 doesn't happen, it won't be because there was nowhere to go with the story.

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I don't see why a Cave Story sequel or prequel couldn't happen. There are far simpler games out there than spawned sequels, and they've turned out great. At the very least, there's definitely enough story content to make a prequel.

And to all the people who say that sequels usually don't work unless the original is written "with a sequel in mind," I really don't understand how you could think that. Consider these movies and games...

-All three Toy Story films were written to stand alone, and most critics agree that each subsequent installment was better than the previous one. And they definitely could still make a fourth one if they wanted to (there's even rumor about that).

-Pirates of the Caribbean was written to stand alone. And despite the mixed opinions surrounding the last two sequels, they've been wildly successful, so apparently a lot of people loved them.

-The majority of Mario, Zelda, and Metroid games are written to stand alone, and yet they make up great stories and ideas for new sequels that usually turn out great (Metroid: Other M being an exception). And you may not know this, but close to its time, the creators very heavily implied that Super Metroid was to be the concluding chapter of the series, and there would be no others. And what happened? We ended up getting Metroid Fusion and the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

-Mega Man Zero 3 and Mega Man ZX were meant to be the concluding titles of their respective subseries, but fan opinion convinced Capcom to change its mind and make one more installment in each of those, and they turned out pretty decently.

-I think it's safe to say that Halo 4 is the ultimate example of a story that was completely resolved (Halo 3), only to be brought up with a fresh, new story that looks to be pretty great, at least to me.

I could go on and on, but you get my point: There's no reason to think that it's "impossible" to make a Cave Story sequel/prequel because of the finality to the ending or supposed lack of story content, especially when there's still so much backstory that remains a mystery. Heck, just take a look in the "theories" section on this forum.

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:33 PM
Professional Whatever
I could go on and on, but you get my point: There's no reason to think that it's "impossible" to make a Cave Story sequel/prequel because of the finality to the ending or supposed lack of story content, especially when there's still so much backstory that remains a mystery. Heck, just take a look in the "theories" section on this forum.
But the mystery behind the unexplained events concerning the game is a substantial part of the game's appeal! It's what gives people the freedom to make mods like KSS and JN!