Movie script

Aug 13, 2007 at 2:24 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Atravir said:
3. Sorry, I don't know why I put that. I'll edit it. In the MOVIE Curly accompanies him, and so on. I think I'm just used to putting 'in the sequel'.
Yeah I assumed it was that too, sequel is probably the most common word in this entire thread. :D

EDIT:
Atravir said:
I never got how medicine helps treat a robot. What was the point of the cure-all?
Quote and Curly are really advanced.
The robot makers probably first tried to emulate humans with a machine, and then tried to improve upon it. It then would have been discovered to be usable for military purposes, something that Brace (Quote and Curly's Maker) was against, so the robots were dumbed down to become soldiers while Brace perfected his design. He became a bit of a hypocrite in the end when he sent Quote and Curly to destroy the crown, but he at least hoped to end the struggle for power that has taken so many lives.

Wow, where did that come from?

Aug 13, 2007 at 3:03 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
andwhyisit said:
Wow, where did that come from?

Years of playing this game and nothing better to do with your time. :D

I have nearly 65 pages so far, and that in itself is unformatted, so really I have like 120.

Aug 13, 2007 at 3:55 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Atravir said:
I have nearly 65 pages so far, and that in itself is unformatted, so really I have like 120.
How much have you got left to do? (Sorry for the very predictable reply.)

EDIT: Cover of Toroko's Theme here.

Aug 13, 2007 at 11:44 PM
Guy with Sword
I am about 2/3 of the way through the script. So the complete formated script should be a little under 200 pages. That's almost three hours of film...

Oh crap.

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:49 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Atravir said:
I am about 2/3 of the way through the script. So the complete formated script should be a little under 200 pages. That's almost three hours of film...

Oh crap.
The Lord of the Rings movies went for 3hrs, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:52 AM
Guy with Sword
No way is this going to be three hours. I'll make sure it's under 2.5

Anybody know of any good Anime Productions crews? That speak English?

Aug 14, 2007 at 3:33 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Atravir said:
No way is this going to be three hours. I'll make sure it's under 2.5
Don't make it feel too rushed though.

Just wondering, but how long would it Pixel to go through and approve an English script? Would there be someone willing to undertake the task of translating it into Japanese for Pixel's benefit?

Atravir said:
Try the LiveJournal Community to see if they can help, 'cause I don't know any Animé Productions crews.
Also try finding people who have done this kind of thing before and get advice from them on the matter.

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:19 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
what so its not a actual moive its gonna be drawn anime style??

-go anime ;)

well im good at drawing i can help...
im joking i know i dont do very good drawings but if you need help drawing if you can't find much people try doing it yourself with V
heres a anime drawing site
http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/index.htm
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:44 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
xristosx said:
what so its not a actual moive its gonna be drawn anime style??

-go anime ;)

well im good at drawing i can help...
im joking i know i dont do very good drawings but if you need help drawing if you can't find much people try doing it yourself with V
heres a anime drawing site
http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/index.htm
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Its going to be an Animé movie, and Atravir is planning to get it made professionally. References:
Atravir said:
No. No no no no no. A flash movie would be looked upon a just some stupid cartoon. I mean to make a real movie. Not like silver screen, but at least DVD.
Atravir said:
No, it'll be animated, just not flash. This would make a horrible live action movie, especially since Mimigas would have to be computer generated.
And I asked if it was to be drawn in animé style to which Atravir responded:
Atravir said:
Of coarse. It is Japanese. Well, the game is.
And then theres the first page
Atravir said:
Hi all you people with no life.

I'm trying to make a manuscript out of cave story. It seriously would make an excellent Anime movie. Any suggestions on things to add/remove/alter?

The movie plays as a mix of easy/hard mode. Booster and curly live, but Quote never actually learns about Ballos.

Note: Also, if anyone has any concept art, please email it to me! I'm having to write descriptions of characters based on 8-bit sprites. Not easy.
And there are plans for a sequel and a Japanese version of the movie.

If you need more information, read the entire thread (though it'll take a while to get through page 12).

To Atravir:
Wait if the Nemesis is the "Goddess' weapon for experts" then who is this Goddess?

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:02 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
andwhyisit said:
Its going to be an Animé movie, and Atravir is planning to get it made professionally. References:And I asked if it was to be drawn in animé style to which Atravir responded:And then theres the first pageAnd there are plans for a sequel and a Japanese version of the movie.

If you need more information, read the entire thread (though it'll take a while to get through page 12).

To Atravir:
Wait if the Nemesis is the "Goddess' weapon for experts" then who is this Goddess?

i've sorta been in and out of this thread so i missed the bit where he said professionally and anime ;) lol
soz

ill do concept art when i get a hella lot better at drawing ive been drawing every day and i think there starting to look better..
some in class time when the teacher gets boring :p

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:34 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Atravir said:

Try Bandai or any other production company that has branches overseas.
Also, you have to get the rights from Pixel then, pitch the whole thing to the board members of the production company and convince them they will make a good buck with it.

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:47 PM
Guy with Sword
andwhyisit said:
Don't make it feel too rushed though.

Just wondering, but how long would it Pixel to go through and approve an English script? Would there be someone willing to undertake the task of translating it into Japanese for Pixel's benefit?

Try the LiveJournal Community to see if they can help, 'cause I don't know any Animé Productions crews.
Also try finding people who have done this kind of thing before and get advice from them on the matter.

calling 2.5 hours rushed?

It's going to have to be translated at some point. If I get it finished, maybe I can get AGTP to do it.

How many people do you know who have tried to write an Anime movie based on a video game?

Also, how do you get the accented 'e'? I can never do that.

Try Bandai or any other production company that has branches overseas.
Also, you have to get the rights from Pixel then, pitch the whole thing to the board members of the production company and convince them they will make a good buck with it.

Sounds like fun. :D And doesn't Bandai just make cartoons?

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:09 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Atravir said:
calling 2.5 hours rushed?

It's going to have to be translated at some point. If I get it finished, maybe I can get AGTP to do it.

How many people do you know who have tried to write an Anime movie based on a video game?

Sounds like fun. :D And doesn't Bandai just make cartoons?

The accented e (é) is wrong anyway. It's plain anime.
Japanese syllables are pronounced almost identical to the latin pronunciation, except for j, which has the english pronunciation.

Bandai is just an example, but still, they are a media conglomerate. They produce anime, music, toys and video games.

Of course you could still hire an interpreter, fly to Japan, look for one of the many animation studios there, pay the production yourself, cast voice actors, organize the outsourcing of inbetweening and coloring to Korea, find a studio for CGI, plan the PR and give Pixel his share. Don't forget the lawyers :D
Depending on the parties involved and the quality of the animation it can cost between several hundred thousand to 1-2 million US$ to produce a full-length movie.

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:15 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Do you really think you can pull this off?

I'll tell you, you won't. Not unless you take things into your own hands and make this movie of yours without outside help. At least not help that has a huge price tag attached to it.
Trust me on this, no animation company worth their salt will go near this project, for a great number of reasons. Money being only one; they would have to pay for the entire production of a project that most likely isn't going to pay off (CS being what it is: underground). Ordinary, live action, full length movies are usually pretty expensive, and animation even more so.

When andwhyisit says "people who have done this kind of thing", he most likely refers to people who have tried to pitch their script to a company that makes movies, and those individuals are hardly rare (not when compared to the number of films that are actually made).

If you are truly dedicated to this project you will have to go indie and animate it yourself, or with some friends or whatever. I have seen some pretty good (along with some really bad and some outright amazing) animations done by indie film makers with very small budgets, and in CS's case a simplistic and cheap approach to a game-movie transition fits the nature of the game pretty well.

Jeebus... Now where is that CS comic? Now there's something that would be interesting if the guy making it would actually get anywhere on that project.

Edit: Sneaky dude above basically made my point. Stuff's expensive.

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:15 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Atravir said:
Hold Alt, press 0233 on the number pad (not the numbers above the letters), release Alt. In some places, you can press Ctrl+', then whatever vowel you want to get the accented version, but that doesn't work on the forums.

I don't think I've posted in this thread yet, but I've been following it, and I think this is a really awesome idea, as long as it's not too changed too heavily from the game. But, since it is a fan who's writing it, that should help keep it true to the game.

Good luck with this, and with getting someone to actually make it.

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:23 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Atravir said:
Start Menu >> (All) Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> Character Map

Tadashi said:
Of course you could still hire an interpreter, fly to Japan, look for one of the many animation studios there, pay the production yourself, cast voice actors, organize the outsourcing of inbetweening and coloring to Korea, find a studio for CGI, plan the PR and give Pixel his share. Don't forget the lawyers :D
Depending on the parties involved and the quality of the animation it can cost between several hundred thousand to 1-2 million US$ to produce a full-length movie.
At least he won't have to pay for the music for the movie.

Why CGI?

If we can find a dedicated person who is very good at drawing and animating anime and another to draw the backgrounds, and they would have to be cave story fans, that would leave voice acting to pay for IF he can't get an Anime Productions place to work on it.

I would donate towards getting voice actors if the need is there.

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:40 AM
Guy with Sword
OK, here is my "grand scheme".

1. Finish writing, revising, and formatting the script.

2. Register it and clear it with Pixel, although I don't think he really cares.

3. Initiate Plan A, which involves sending it into as many Japanese Animation Studios as possible. It's not impossible to get it approved, just not plausible. Dr. Seuss went to 34 producers before he found one that published his book, and now look at him.

4. If Plan A doesn't work, initiate Plan B: Look into hiring a small time artist and animator, getting the rights to some of the remixes on the internet and try doing it myself. I can handle everything except for the voices (although I could do one voice), and and drawing (I can't draw worth crap). From there, I can publish it to the internet and hopefully make enough money off of it to pay for the expenses of making it.

5. If that doesn't work, initiate Plan C: Publish it to the internet, get it professionally translated into Japanese and send a copy to Pixel (which I would do anyways for plan A or B), and leave it there for all eternity until someone who can make something out of it uses it.

Yes, I understand the near impossibility of creating this film. But it's really worth the effort of writing the script (which is fun in itself) to try and make this movie. And if all else fails, at least it will be on the internet, and if someone else has a better chance of using it that I do, they can.

Any more questions?

EDIT: 205 posts! And I've only been here a month and a half.

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:54 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Atravir said:
OK, here is my "grand scheme".

1. Finish writing, revising, and formatting the script.

2. Register it and clear it with Pixel, although I don't think he really cares.

3. Initiate Plan A, which involves sending it into as many Japanese Animation Studios as possible. It's not impossible to get it approved, just not plausible. Dr. Seuss went to 34 producers before he found one that published his book, and now look at him.

4. If Plan A doesn't work, initiate Plan B: Look into hiring a small time artist and animator, getting the rights to some of the remixes on the internet and try doing it myself. I can handle everything except for the voices (although I could do one voice), and and drawing (I can't draw worth crap). From there, I can publish it to the internet and hopefully make enough money off of it to pay for the expenses of making it.

5. If that doesn't work, initiate Plan C: Publish it to the internet, get it professionally translated into Japanese and send a copy to Pixel (which I would do anyways for plan A or B), and leave it there for all eternity until someone who can make something out of it uses it.

Yes, I understand the near impossibility of creating this film. But it's really worth the effort of writing the script (which is fun in itself) to try and make this movie. And if all else fails, at least it will be on the internet, and if someone else has a better chance of using it that I do, they can.

I can do up a website for the project and you can try to get support for the project from the many Cave Story fans out there (skills/donations/whatever) if plan A fails.

I cannot see Plan C ever working.

You would need a professional job for the voices, since voices can sound bad when its not professionally done, If plan B is ever initiated this would be the only thing you would need to pay for.

Plan D Repeat Plan A, it worth a shot, even more so if you have something to show them from Plan B.

Atravir said:
Any more questions?

EDIT: 205 posts! And I've only been here a month and a half.

You will probably end up with a post count higher than SP. :D

I am just as bad, I joined to post the cave story fanart at the first page of this thread, and am now at 99 posts at 3.19 posts per day, 53 of these are in this thread alone, I need a life.

andwhyisit said:
To Atravir:

Would this become something to address in the second movie?

Yay, I managed to avoid using the word "sequel".

...wait a minute.

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:48 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
@andwhyisit
Well, the voice actors will sing the songs :D Music composing is included into the production costs.
"Why CGI"? CGI isn't just used for 3D characters, but also SFX and backgrounds.

@Atravir
You confuse one thing, Dr. Seuss wanted to publish a book that would only cost a minor edit and the printing. Today, anyone can publish a book. You can even print and bind it yourself.
Animation is much more expensive and complex and has to make much more money to break even.

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:49 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Weren't the backgrounds normally drawn or painted in most anime, correct me if I'm wrong.