Pixel's thoughts

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:25 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
God, you people keep coming to this subject. Just drop it already, and have fun.

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:28 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
S. P. Gardebiter said:
They just said in the forum here, people shared their knowledge so they should share their images too. Who don't want to share his/her images should protect the own mod... But actually the point is noone knows how to do it...

Thats like you say: You can post and come to this forum here yes! But actually you get lots of viruses and no we won't turn this down, 8 people here want viruses and 10 don't but we even don't care because in the past very much people got backdoor programs here and liked it. So you need to get yourself a special program, do it won't download viruses, but actually noone knows how to configure and running this program and there are 1,000,000,000,000,000 possibiltys so HAHA YOURE FUCKED!
[...]
You called me a hypocrite and I don't get why lol
So explain it here, I don't see why you shouldn't if it would clear the things...

Use search.

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:54 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Nator said:
God, you people keep coming to this subject. Just drop it already, and have fun.

Haha I thought I'm uptight ;)
I didn't started this topic, anyhow things should be clarifed don't cha think?

Jun 11, 2007 at 6:52 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Nator said:

I'm very sorry!
I just felt I'd ask to see if anyone knew. I'm still new at this and I'm not too familiar with what starts flame wars.

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:00 PM
Hoxtilicious
Jeff Brace said:
I'm very sorry!
I just felt I'd ask to see if anyone knew. I'm still new at this and I'm not too familiar with what starts flame wars.

Haha, no flame wars aslong you don't swear :D
Don't worry about lil Nator ;)

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:47 PM
"..."
Swearing does not a flame make. Besides, this is nothing but a debate: No need to panic because OMG PPL R TALKING ABOUT SENSITIVE ISSUES

S. P. Gardebiter said:
But actually I don't see why respect Pixel but not other people, its just because its their "god" who made Cave Story and if someone insult him then he/she is an asshole lol

I do respect other people, if I think they deserve it (And I'm sure a majority of the members here feel the same way). Pixel I believe deserves it because he made a great game. Shmitz I think deserves it because he is a nice guy and also is making a good game. Jeff Brace deserves it because he appears to be a nice guy and is just asking for a little clarification.

They just said in the forum here, people shared their knowledge so they should share their images too. Who don't want to share his/her images should protect the own mod... But actually the point is noone knows how to do it...

Well if we don't know how to protect mods, what could we do to protect them as a site? I never really understood your point in bringing the protection of mods up, because we don't have the right to force people to keep track of mods to protect their content, because 1.It's their responsibility, and 2.It wouldn't do any good because the possibility of theft is still quite open anyway.

Your general response, the quote above, doesn't work either because, as I said, if there's no known way to protect your own stuff, what can we as a community do? It's not that we really want to force people to share their stuff - I personally wouldn't use anyone else's stuff even if they released it for use by the public. Rather, we don't want to force them to do anything. We want them to decide for themselves.

Just like we're okay with you not release your updated documents, although the attitude you've got about it makes it appear that you're not releasing them to prove a point about the whole creative property matter rather than because you have a legitimate reason. If you really didn't want to release them, you wouldn't even have mentioned that you had the updated ones - it's like you're trying to show people "Ahaha, I have this and you don't, now you know what it's like."

Jun 11, 2007 at 10:17 PM
Hoxtilicious
Osmose said:
Swearing does not a flame make. Besides, this is nothing but a debate: No need to panic because OMG PPL R TALKING ABOUT SENSITIVE ISSUES

lol I didn't started this...

Osmose said:
Well if we don't know how to protect mods, what could we do to protect them as a site? I never really understood your point in bringing the protection of mods up, because we don't have the right to force people to keep track of mods to protect their content, because 1.It's their responsibility, and 2.It wouldn't do any good because the possibility of theft is still quite open anyway.

Why not protect them? I never forced anyone.

Osmose said:
Your general response, the quote above, doesn't work either because, as I said, if there's no known way to protect your own stuff, what can we as a community do? It's not that we really want to force people to share their stuff - I personally wouldn't use anyone else's stuff even if they released it for use by the public. Rather, we don't want to force them to do anything. We want them to decide for themselves.

Everyone has got liberties and rights. So if I don't want people to use my images then, it's my personal law to do this. So I don't see why not respect that? Both, the liberties and the rights, but the whole community have to respect that, like someone uses your images and the whole community says, that it's made by the author and he/she should ask.

Osmose said:
Just like we're okay with you not release your updated documents, although the attitude you've got about it makes it appear that you're not releasing them to prove a point about the whole creative property matter rather than because you have a legitimate reason. If you really didn't want to release them, you wouldn't even have mentioned that you had the updated ones - it's like you're trying to show people "Ahaha, I have this and you don't, now you know what it's like."

lol, sometimes it seems like some people "fight" to get the newest :o

But you doesn't seem to get the reasons why I don't post them do you?
Well actually, I never said you won't get them if you ask, if you want them just contact me, I just don't want to post them here, because members insulted me and stuff, and I don't see why I should give out my work to somenoe who don't respect it.

Jun 11, 2007 at 10:38 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
S. P. Gardebiter said:
...HAHA YOURE FUCKED!

S. P. Gardebiter said:
You called me a hypocrite and I don't get why lol
So explain it here, I don't see why you shouldn't if it would clear the things...

S. P. Gardebiter said:
Haha, no flame wars aslong you don't swear

lol hypocrisy

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:06 PM
Osmose said:
Well if we don't know how to protect mods, what could we do to protect them as a site?
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Why not protect them?
Gotta go with Chaddy's line here. Lulz.
See now, Osmose, why I didn't bother trying?

OK, enough bashing the poor German. G'night.

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:10 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Hehe, wow this thread certainly went off topic. : )

Anyway, Jeff Brace, to answer your question as well as this question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. P. Gardebiter
Pixel said he doesn't care about modding

Have you got the source of that statement? It'd really help clear things up.

Unfortunately the original email I have that would answer this question has been lost to my original laptop (the original development home of the Cave Story Tribute Site) in it's untimely death back in 2006. However, I can tell all of you the basis of how this site came to be in that when I first thought about developing this site I wanted to ask Pixel himself if he would be okay with me making such a site and essentially using his graphics and his artwork as a basis for its theme. I wrote him several details about what I had planned to do with the site in Japanese and I received a response to all of my questions with a single statement, which was also in Japanese, that when translated read as:

From Pixel: Concerning Cave Story there is no regulation.

In other words, Pixel stated that he didn't care much with how or what people chose to do with it aside from of course crediting him as the original author, and he didn't even mention that either. To my knowledge Pixel has not made any public indications about being displeased that others are modding his original game. Perhaps he doesn't care about it, perhaps he dislikes it even, but he hasn't mentioned this. If I were to hear from Pixel directly concerning disproval of modded work, I would ask that it be removed from the site. But that hasn't happened yet and I doubt it would happen considering the original answer he gave me.

After he emailed me this, I sent him a final email telling him that I would do my best to make the Cave Story Tribute Site be something worthy of showcasing his game and that was the last I ever spoke with him.

I hope that this can better help to answer your questions.

-SkyeWelse

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:17 PM
Hoxtilicious
Oh, nice that the thing is clarifed, it's actually like I said...
And yeah kinda offtopic :o @SkyeWelse

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
Gotta go with Chaddy's line here. Lulz.
See now, Osmose, why I didn't bother trying?

OK, enough bashing the poor German. G'night.

Chaddykins said:
lol hypocrisy

Actually I'm only Human, I can do errors too and I'm only 15... But you "adults" should act better. Yeah yeah yeah, hypo thing.

Good night Orfvar.

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:21 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
From what I gathered from reading various things Pixel has said, to me he comes off as a very humble person and merely wishes for his work to not be profited off of. That's all.

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:28 PM
"..."
Orfvar: I have the dim hope he'll change his ways. I'm an optimist. :o

S. P. Gardebiter said:
Everyone has got liberties and rights. So if I don't want people to use my images then, it's my personal law to do this. So I don't see why not respect that? Both, the liberties and the rights, but the whole community have to respect that, like someone uses your images and the whole community says, that it's made by the author and he/she should ask.

S. P. Gardebiter said:
So I don't get why not just mod the game even if Pixel says no... Or is it just; you shouldn't steal "great master Pixel's" things?

The list goes on and on...

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:41 PM
Hoxtilicious
Don't get it maybe, because I'm too "dumb" but well, you can continue this or just telling me what exactly you mean.

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:53 PM
"..."
In the first quote above, you talk about how you should respect the wishes of the author...

...and then in the second one you say you don't see the problem in NOT respecting the wishes of Pixel if he says don't mod Cavestory.

Jun 12, 2007 at 12:29 AM
Hoxtilicious
Osmose said:
In the first quote above, you talk about how you should respect the wishes of the author...

...and then in the second one you say you don't see the problem in NOT respecting the wishes of Pixel if he says don't mod Cavestory.

The secound one was actually sarcasm.

Jun 12, 2007 at 1:56 PM
Our benevolent Overlord has spoken and brought us glorious enlightenment!
Verily, we are grateful.

(no tildes or ؟s)

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:43 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thank you all for your--
Orfvar, did your avatar just turn into a pirate when I wasn't looking?
... Help. I am grateful!