Photo

Cave Story RPG?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 21 July 2008 - 02:21 AM

In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."

I protest the use of Game Maker since it is Windows-only, and I use a Mac.

Note to SP: GameMaker is actually a totally different program than Game Maker. (That one is Mac-only.)

#22 21 July 2008 - 03:22 AM

Adolf K. Offline
Ex-Dictator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

Use GLBasic :)

1bsrA6vTkGCBUhn33TkTnyFaTd7x0.png

#23 21 July 2008 - 03:40 AM

andwhyisit Offline
Administrator

Use GLBasic :)

But.. no psp port? :p

C++? :)

Posted Image

Spoiler

#24 21 July 2008 - 05:52 AM

Adolf K. Offline
Ex-Dictator

Then you would need a libary which is also suported by the PSP :p

Forget PSP, get a PocketPC, GP2X, XBOX whatever :p

1bsrA6vTkGCBUhn33TkTnyFaTd7x0.png

#25 21 July 2008 - 12:12 PM

lipucd Offline
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Ahh, so the argument isn't "Use this because its just better" but its more "Use this because then we can all play it once its done"...

I guess thats very understandable then...If it was just a "this is better" thing I would call foul play...I've seen some wonderful projects working off of the most limited sources just because the people using them knew them inside and out...

#26 21 July 2008 - 12:58 PM

JakeXanth Offline
Overlord of chill

I've seen some wonderful projects working off of the most limited sources just because the people using them knew them inside and out...

For example: An Untitled Story was made with GameMaker

#27 21 July 2008 - 04:02 PM

In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."

For example: An Untitled Story was made with GameMaker

Don't you mean Game Maker?

#28 21 July 2008 - 07:05 PM

Executive Member
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"

Ahh, so the argument isn't "Use this because its just better" but its more "Use this because then we can all play it once its done"...

I guess thats very understandable then...If it was just a "this is better" thing I would call foul play...I've seen some wonderful projects working off of the most limited sources just because the people using them knew them inside and out...

I'm pretty nearly all of the people here at least have access to a windows computer. Cave Story was a Windows only game until someone ported it to the Mac, and PSP, and other systems. The vast majority of people have a Windows, even if they use a Mac/Linux more often. And the point still stands that I don't know much about OpenGL or C++, let alone enough to make an RPG. C+ is a complex language, I won't learn it overnight. And even if I spent all summer learning it, I still wouldn't know enough for this project, and I'd be out of time because I start collage in September. I know what I'm doing, and I'm using game maker, all I asked is if anyone wanted to help with graphics, not what engine/language I should use. :p

If anyone does want to help, it would speed this up considerably, and I'd really appreciate it. :p
Cave Story: The Point of No Return Name temporary, may change if I think of a better one. Anyway, it's almost ready for a demo, so stay tuned! :D

#29 21 July 2008 - 10:07 PM

RuneLancer Offline
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"

I'm pretty nearly all of the people here at least have access to a windows computer. ... And the point still stands that I don't know much about OpenGL or C++, let alone enough to make an RPG. C+ is a complex language, I won't learn it overnight. And even if I spent all summer learning it, I still wouldn't know enough for this project, and I'd be out of time because I start collage in September.

Well, like I said earlier (I think?) if the tools fit the job, there's no need to go out and find a bigger wrench. Myself, I'm just debating languages for the sake of debating languages. :p

Although not everyone here has (constant and reliable) access to a PC running Windows. I know CM is on a Mac, for instance, and cannot run Windows-only projects. So this wasn't just idle debate (at least on my part) - if some more portable (and feasible) solution comes up, that'd be even better. If not, well, bro, it's your project. You take it where you want it to go.

As for C++, remember that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single line of code. It's worth learning, so if that's part of your plans maybe you won't learn it over the summer, but at least you'll learn enough to write some simple trippy apps. Go for learning it as a side project, I say! More power to you. :p

Posted Image

#30 21 July 2008 - 10:42 PM

andwhyisit Offline
Administrator

Then you would need a libary which is also suported by the PSP :p

Forget PSP, get a PocketPC, GP2X, XBOX whatever :D

How did you think cave story was ported to PSP when it was written in C++? :p

If the source is in C++ then you can port it to PSP.

Yes, that's pretty much it.

I don't play many PC games these days, I mainly play anything that can work on a CFW psp, so when I hear about a brilliant project done in RPG Maker, Game Maker, or MMF then I am not too happy about what I am missing out on.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Old topic!
Guest, the last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users