What are the different versions of the sound track and where did they come from?
So far the versions that I have distinguished are:
- CS Original Sound Track - Pixel - seen on the fansite which I assume comes from the original completed release of Cave Story by Pixel.
- CS+/Wii/3D(?) Sound Track - Yann van der Cruyssen rearrange - used in the Wii Soundtrack which appears to be the same one used in Cave Story+ on Steam and the Humble Indie Bundle - are they the same? From playing CS+, the org versions appear to be the same ones in the soundtrack included with the HIB and in the steam Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\cave story+\data\base\Ogg folder +/- a few tracks. Is the 3DS soundtrack different from these? As far as I can tell, it seems to be the same as the +/Wii versions.
- These files in Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\cave story+\data\base\Ogg11 - ??? - In my searching, I found that this folder contains music files for the game almost all split into an intro and loop, which, when combined, each sound different from either of the previously mentioned soundtracks. It sounds closer to a rearrange of the original CS soundtrack for the most part. What is this and where did it come from? Is this more of Yann van der Cruyssen? I would post them somewhere, but I don't realy have anywhere convenient to host them atm.
- Where does the PSP version fit in?
- Wind Fortress - CS+/3D/Wii(?)/Ogg11 folder - Not included in my steam's Ogg folder or in HIBST, but is in the Org folder and obviously plays in-game.
- Halloween 2 - CS+/3D/Wii - When does this play? On Halloween? I read something about this replacing Hero's End on Halloween?
- Squid - CS+/3D(?)/Wii(?)/HIB Sound Track - I can't remember if this actually plays in game - like when you get the Alien Badge. I don't see the file in the Org folder so I assume that it doesn't.
- Intro Menu - CS+/Wii/Others?/HIBST - Not sure which versions use this menu music. I assume Wii and I believe CS+.
- Wii Credits - Wii/Others?/HIBST - Not sure which versions actually use this credit music. I assume Wii if nothing else.
- Jenka 1b - HIBST - Included with the Humble Indie Bundle Soundtrack for Cave Story+. It appears to be another rearrange of Jenka 1. I don't think it's used anywhere though.
- For some reason White wasn't included in HIBST even though it's in my ogg and org folders. Strange. I thought I read Wii and/or 3D didn't include this track? Maybe that's why.
- wanpaku_ending (Mischievous Robot Ending?) - Ogg11 folder - What is this supposed to be? It sounds just like a rearrange of Mischievous Robot.
- Last Cave 2 - Ogg11 folder - It again sounds just like another rearrange, this time of Last Cave.
- Where did the "unreleased" tracks listed on the music page came from? Did Pixel say, "here you go fanbase" and just hand them out or something?
- Where did the community accepted titles for the tracks come from? wanpaku->Mischievous Robot, but wanpak2->Scorching Back doesn't seem to connect for me. Did Pixel come up with these? Was it the fanlators?
Edited by skovacs1, 10 April 2012 - 09:15 PM.