Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Noxid's Story v2.0 (finally)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 02 April 2012 - 03:12 AM

Offensive User
"Keep on rollin'!"

So for the like the past month I have been making this.

Noxid Story 1.0.1 Download

NEWSFLASH NOXID STORY 2.0 IS DONE. LOOK AT IT HERE.

Features:
-Control the beloved moderator Noxid as he bans all of the goblins and spambots!
-Refrances to forum humor and other shenanigans!
-Banhammer!
-ORIGINAL GRFX DO NOT STEEL
-STOLEN ART AND MOOZIC AND HACX DO NOT STEEL ALSO oh yeah I forgot to mention in the txt that the mod uses Noxid's IMG hack so take note of that while playing the mod. Super Extra credit will be added in the next update... if there is one.
-And, more importantly, CATS! And lots of them!

Follow My BloaG!
Follow My Tweeter!

and lastly...

Spoiler

Also It's still technically April Fool's Day so I'm not late for the party :mahin:

Edited by ShinyElectricBlueTiger, 02 April 2013 - 04:13 AM.

Spoiler

All hail Shaq

#2 02 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

Noxid Offline
3cool
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

Let me be the first to say that this is one of the few mods that I've actually enjoyed playing. And not just because I'm in it, but that probably plays a role. The action is fast and visceral, and overall the length feels just about right.
It starts off a bit slow with how much health the first set of enemies has, but from then on the pace picks up. The spambot's lair was the highlight of this for me, and due to an oversight (or brilliant planning?!?) the camera speed seems to have been at INSTANT, which gave the game an incredibly fast responsive feel that I didn't even know was possible with cave story. Combined with the colors, I felt like I was under the effects of some kind of fantastic mind altering drug. The only downside is this goes away if you die and have to respawn partway through, which is disappointing.
My biggest complaint has to be with the final boss. Armed with only a banhammer and 15 health, it is near impossible to defeat without some kind of mad skillz and patience, which kind of contradicts the lightning fast, powerful feel of previous levels. Perhaps this is symbolic.

Also secret cat room <3 <3 <3 :3 <3

overall 10/10 would recommend
this is a shining example of how a mod can be fun

Edited by Noxid, 02 April 2012 - 05:31 AM.

kss-button.png azarashi-button.png mahinbuttongif2.gif balbal-button.png
nCdVf2b.gifnCdVf2b.gifnCdVf2b.gifnCdVf2b.gifnCdVf2b.gif
CAT DAY ALL DAY ERRY DAY

#3 02 April 2012 - 07:30 AM

"Huzzah!"
Location: LocationAustralia. In Bob Katter's secret techno-dungeon.

I certainly thought it was a fun and quirky concept. I wondered if it was inspired by "The Nameless Mod" mod for Deus Ex in any way? That mod had you exploring a game forum, and you were a moderator...

I'd give the mod a 7.5/10. I say this somewhat cautiously, because I personally dislike combat heavy mods. However, if I did find combat entertaining, I would give it a solid 8/10.

Anyway, do you intend to develop the mod further, make a sequel, anything like that?

#4 02 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Offensive User
"Keep on rollin'!"

Let me be the first to say that this is one of the few mods that I've actually enjoyed playing. And not just because I'm in it, but that probably plays a role. The action is fast and visceral, and overall the length feels just about right.

Cool thanks!

It starts off a bit slow with how much health the first set of enemies has, but from then on the pace picks up. The spambot's lair was the highlight of this for me, and due to an oversight (or brilliant planning?!?) the camera speed seems to have been at INSTANT, which gave the game an incredibly fast responsive feel that I didn't even know was possible with cave story. Combined with the colors, I felt like I was under the effects of some kind of fantastic mind altering drug. The only downside is this goes away if you die and have to respawn partway through, which is disappointing.

I could probably lower the health of the beginning enemies a *tiny* bit. Mostly because they have a bit more health than the next set of enemies I think. So yeah I guess that can be fixed easily.
Glad you enjoyed the Spambots' Lair! I never knew that neon colors could have a drastic effect on the human mind though!

My biggest complaint has to be with the final boss. Armed with only a banhammer and 15 health, it is near impossible to defeat without some kind of mad skillz and patience, which kind of contradicts the lightning fast, powerful feel of previous levels. Perhaps this is symbolic.

Another balance thing that I probably need to fix. Might have a solution for that though...

Also secret cat room <3 <3 <3 :3 <3

:3. But honestly it needed more cats.

overall 10/10 would recommend
this is a shining example of how a mod can be fun

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

I certainly thought it was a fun and quirky concept. I wondered if it was inspired by "The Nameless Mod" mod for Deus Ex in any way? That mod had you exploring a game forum, and you were a moderator...

Absolutely not. Never even played any of the Deux Ex games, let alone their mods.

I'd give the mod a 7.5/10. I say this somewhat cautiously, because I personally dislike combat heavy mods. However, if I did find combat entertaining, I would give it a solid 8/10.

dealwithit.jpg
The mod's main purpose wasn't to have a deep, intriguing story that you could spend hours listening to, producing somewhat lengthy gaps of lack of gameplay (possibly one of the most important features of any mod). I just wanted something that hearkens back to when you did not necessarily need a good story to produce a good game, such as Zelda or Doom or Sonic.The mod's purpose is to just have fun, and have fun while doing so. Nothing more, nothing less.

Disclaimer: Just because I did not support severely lengthy stories does not mean I dislike stories in general. You can have a story, but geez. Don't pull off a BioWare and make 10 lengthy samey/cliche stories. Give them some action once and a while.

Anyway, do you intend to develop the mod further, make a sequel, anything like that?

I plan to give the mod one or three more *minor* updates. Chances are, there won't be any sequels or prequels, but I always wanted to do a little more with the Spambots' Lair tileset. Possibly, if I'm in the mood anytime soon, I could make a spinoff soon.

Spoiler

All hail Shaq

#5 02 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

trickybilly Offline
I am
"Deaths: 4000"

I just ignored my save and started over the mod, just to be in the Kitty Room again. It's the hardest level, too cute to pass :)

Edited by trickybilly, 02 April 2012 - 06:26 PM.

I am all and all is me.

#6 02 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

Moon Offline
Been here way too long...
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"

10/10
The mod combined the combat-heaviness with powers pretty well.
I don't if it's intentional or not but many aspects of the mod mirrored the nature of the forum.
For instance, how exploitable the bosses are goes to tell that trolls usually end up getting trolled themselves.
And I think the meaning of the mod is pretty deep, intentional or not.

Edited by Kwote, 02 April 2012 - 07:14 PM.

You want to go through my fireplace?
Well, you're going to need a bit of jellyfish juice.

#7 02 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

Doors Offline
delucious PONE
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

9/10 only because of the last boss being too hard.
Also I felt very sad that I was not found in the Herb Village D: (not really)

There are a couple spelling errors that I would be glad to point out once I actually look.
The Slingshot item still reads the "Gum base" text.
The ItemImage.pbm or whatever is in monochrome or something. Everything is grey and black except for the Gumshot.
When N0xid's talking to Hayden, when the Polar Star is supposed to show, the Fireball shows instead.

OH ALSO ALSO I really enjoyed this.

Spaling errors:
"If only the bed wasn't so flat and unsuppotive" --> "If only the bed wasn't so flat and non-supportive."

"<MSG<FAC0020NOOOOOOOOO<NOD<FAC0018No, u went down bitch.<NOD<CLR" --> "<MSG<FAC0020NOOOOOOOOO<NOD<CLR<FAC0018No, u went down bitch.<NOD<CLR"

Aaaaand then there's Winds which I'm not going to outline the spelling errors of because I'm kinda certain they were intentional. Also spambot text.

Edited by MagicDoors, 02 April 2012 - 09:01 PM.

9vdpd.jpg

Tumblr (Reblogs, ecchi and art)
Other Tumblr (NSFW, bad fetishy art blog)
Deviantart
Weasyl

#8 02 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

Wild Desu Online
brrrrrrrrrrrr
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"

I agree with AM, it was rather combat heavy, but it pretty much symbolized how much shit Noxid had to go through.

Complantes: I agree with lunarshinedoors, I kinda wish that he was in there since he is the leader of Herb Village. Other cameos would be nice too, such as renaming Monater X and Balfrog. And as Magicmoonman also pointed out, there are quite a few spelling errors (the non-intentional ones). Such as Sattelite Lounge and Katawa Shaojo

Also yeah, the final boss was pretty damn hard.

My final complaint is that it ended ;_; But it was still a masterpiece. The spambot lair nearly made me die of laughter. .Seriously though. It got to the point of abdominal pain laughter.

But whatever, just the fact that this mod exists makes me happy. I kinda wish you planned to put more in it or make another though :c

Autism levels have reached critical mass

yh8oeag.png

#9 02 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

Dunc2403 Online
Pizza Hut Delivery Slime
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Location: LocationWoah look at this I actually have stuff here now crazy

Complantes: I agree with lunarshinedoors, I kinda wish that he was in there since he is the leader of Herb Village.

Excuse me?

Although that one goblin seemed a lot like me, with all the "Agreed"s.

Edited by Dunc2403, 02 April 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#10 02 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

Wild Desu Online
brrrrrrrrrrrr
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"

Ops, I thought he started it ( '-')

Autism levels have reached critical mass

yh8oeag.png

Old topic!
Guest, the last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users