Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Katawa Shoujo?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#21 06 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

JiNXeD Offline
Neophyte Member
"Master using it, and you can have this!"

JiNXeD you have no soul.

I wouldn't say so exactly. I'm more emotionally touched by more real-time tragedies. Like when I left Curly to die the first time I played Cave Story, and then when I realised that I could've saved her. I just felt guilty. Katawa Shoujo is a pretty slow-paced novel, and I don't get that touched from reading, unless it's something personal. I still wouldn't cry over a game, unless it was something very special that had something which made me very interested in it.

#22 06 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

Yakkers Offline
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"

I googled that, and was disappointed to find that it's not exactly my cup of tea.
Well, I guess if it has absolutely stellar writing I could give it a look.

Teehee.
I've never played it, I'm just making fun of myself.
But I'd imagine it probably does not have stellar writing.

Edited by Yakkers, 06 February 2012 - 06:03 PM.

#23 06 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

ayy lmao
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

I'm only endorsing this visual novel because it's the only story that's made me feel anything in a long time. When Toroko died, I thought "Boss defeated! Wait, I was supposed to be sad." When Curly died, I thought "Aw shit, that can't be good." When (Half-Life 2 Episode 2 has been out for almost 5 years, I feel comfortable saying this) Eli died, I thought "Fuuuuuck I'm definitely supposed to be sad, aren't I?"
Rin's story in Katawa Shoujo didn't make me cry but it certainly moved me. Which is impressive.
Now, I might have to spell this out for some of you dumbasses: if you cynically breeze through the novel expecting it to become magically spellbinding and make you cry your heart out just because you read it, stop it and go read Tom Clancy or something. You get out what you put in. If you are trying not to enjoy yourself, you won't. This should be fairly obvious but something makes me think it has to be said.

#24 06 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

Lvl 1

Now, I might have to spell this out for some of you dumbasses: if you cynically breeze through the novel expecting it to become magically spellbinding and make you cry your heart out just because you read it, stop it and go read Tom Clancy or something. You get out what you put in. If you are trying not to enjoy yourself, you won't. This should be fairly obvious but something makes me think it has to be said.

See but if I read through it it should become spellbinding (or interesting); That's what well written books do you know. I shouldn't have to try too hard to like it, or else the writing's not doing its job.

#25 06 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

ayy lmao

That is not how things work. If you don't want to like them, then you will generally end up not liking them.

#26 06 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

JiNXeD Offline
Neophyte Member
"Master using it, and you can have this!"

Well I play the game at 4AM, (the time when the brain is in the emotional state) and I focus on the story completely. Still, it doesn't manage to move me. Novels don't, really.

#27 06 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

Lvl 1

That is not how things work. If you don't want to like them, then you will generally end up not liking them.

Well yes but you shouldn't have to actively try to like it. You have to should approach it neutrally.

Edited by GIRakaCHEEZER, 06 February 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#28 06 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

ayy lmao

I guess so. I don't see the harm in trying to enjoy things, but a neutral stance is acceptable.

#29 06 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

Wild Desu Offline
brrrrrrrrrrrr
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"

Now I kind of wish this didn't have so much hype and that I shut the hell up about this. It seems like anyone trying it at this point is just being forced into it rather than taking a genuine interest in it. And that's not cool.

Autism levels have reached critical mass

yh8oeag.png

#30 07 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

cultr1 Offline
ℒℯ

Yeah that's no good. But if they're forced to play something and they actually like it, why get upset?

My only confusion is when GIR asked "why's it so good anyway" and then people tell him all the reasons it's good he says "you telling me it's good is making me hate it."
Not even talking about this game, I have never experienced hype aversion in my entire life...

Also GIR what's the problem with trying to enjoy things? If I try to enjoy something and I enjoy it, who cares if I came in with a bias or was neutral? I still enjoyed it D:

Edited by cultr1, 07 February 2012 - 12:25 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users