Photo
- - - - -

When i start up, game goes black and shut down.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 23 November 2011 - 02:46 AM

Novice Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Just bought the game on Steam. I was very excited to play it. However, whenever I start the game up, it takes me to a black screen....and nothing happens. I've tried everything, too. I've verified game cache, uninstalled/re-installed, checked to make sure my compatibility settings were executable.. Nothing is working!

Help me! :p

#2 23 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

X-Calibar Offline
gigantic immortal cat
"Man, if only I had an apple..."

Is it for the PC or for the MAC?

What kind of system do you have? XP, Vista, 7?

You were able to install the game fine?

Are there any error messages? How do you close it, when it freezes up with a black screen?

What kind of video card do you have? What resolution are you using?
When it goes to a black screen, if you press Z several times for 20-30 seconds does anything happen (any sounds perhaps)?

Is it a laptop or a desktop (or something else)?

Have you tried to change the resolution to something small, and then run the game?

Can you alt-tab out of the game when it loads that black screen, and then come back?

Hmm......... what else...........................

Also, have you tried installing it on another computer just to see if it works elsewhere?

BTW :
HAve you tried posting this on the official forum for CaveStory+?
http://forums.steamp...play.php?f=1281

EDIT:

Hmm... uh try this :

Download the msvcr100.dll (It comes in a ZIP file, so extract that) [Not the dll fixer thing]
http://www.dll-files....shtml?msvcr100

And put it into your Cave Story+ application directory.
(My Cave Story+ directory was : C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\cave story+ )
Throw that .dll in there if it doesn't already exist.

Now open Steam and try hitting play again... Any luck? (It's worth a shot)
76561198051147654.png
Livestream Status : Currently offline.

NightShade Project, a Cave Story mod...~ Status SVN up
Hammerfall, a Hammerwatch mod...~ First map under construction, might open up the project
Cloud Story, a Cave Story prequel mod...~ Status Frozen, might make it a public works

#3 25 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

xspjigo Offline
Novice Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

I have the same issue here, bought the game on steam, but when i go into it the screen goes black and does nothing.
If i minimise theres a "cave story stopped responding" box.

Desktop Specs:
- Core i7
- 4Gb ram
- Radeon HD5850 (1920 x 1080)
- Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32bit fully updated.

also tried defragging game files and uninstalling/reinstalling. (Game installs fine)
tried the dll thing in previous post too.(no luck)
Have also tried a few things that normally work with other games :mrgreen:

*struggling*

#4 25 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

Cave Story Offline
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"

Try to activate the application manually through program files. I remember a similar issue occurred with me on L4D2, and I believe it's just the Steam launcher malfunctioning; a manual launch should fix it. Get back to me whether it works or not.

I think Cave Story is quite capable of giving you mental issues. Just look at some of our fine members on the forum.

#5 25 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

xspjigo Offline
Novice Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

If i run the exe from program files i can see the process in task manager, but it doesnt do anything, no black screen, no error, no sounds, nothing.
and then i end task :S
*Also tried compatibility mode(s), and "as administrator"

#6 26 November 2011 - 03:57 AM

Moon Offline
Been here way too long...
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"

You should try if it works on another computer.

You want to go through my fireplace?
Well, you're going to need a bit of jellyfish juice.

#7 29 November 2011 - 06:39 AM

xspjigo Offline
Novice Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Found the solution, i switched OFF Triple Buffering in my display card options (ATI Catalyst)
Now its working perfectly :D

#8 22 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

Skylace Offline
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"

Same problem here.
Disabling Triple Buffering did nothing, but I suppose it's because my graphics card is assbad.
Might try using 3D Analyze or something, which is absurd, because it's a 2D game and I can run the original version fine.

#9 22 December 2011 - 11:44 PM

Lvl 1
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

Same problem here.
Disabling Triple Buffering did nothing, but I suppose it's because my graphics card is assbad.
Might try using 3D Analyze or something, which is absurd, because it's a 2D game and I can run the original version fine.

Original Cave Story uses a very old rendering method (and is actually more CPU intensive on most new computers because of it) so running the original doesn't mean the new one will run.

#10 24 December 2011 - 02:59 PM

Hapiel Offline
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"

I get the same problem here :p.. both trough steam as trough humbebundle download... and it was the only reason I bought this humble bundle!! :(

Anyway, windows 7 64bit..

I could not find this 'triple buffering' thing in my catalyst (amd) or whatever... I guess ill search harder if it can be the solution..

Old topic!
Guest, the last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users