Photo
* * * * * 8 votes

Cave Story - Redesign v0.50.6

Old topic!
Guest, the last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#151 12 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

I like the gameplay, although it's kinda hard without practice... but when I first found out about the Sacred Grounds, I tried to beat the brother of Jenka, and it took me more than two months to actually beat him (the best I ever did before beating him, I had 6 HP before getting killed by his third form's defense). But with practice, this mod can become easier to play. A mod I'm working on is HARD, and a previous attempt, the protagonist had 15 MAX HP, and said protagonist actually managed to beat Red Demon, Misery and both forms of the Doctor before going up higher, to end up at what was Arthur's house. And I'm busy with what, EIGHT mods? Wow, that's a lot... But this mod is cool, yeah.

The secrets are hard to find, and I kinda like
Spoiler

Really good. Then there's the monsters and foes that Quote has to fight. Completely impressive. I am unable to make my own foes, but I have my own way - I replaced the Gaudis with crocodiles. In one of my mods. The only way I can make new monsters. Unfortunately. But yeah, I'm really surprised and the toughness of them, too, and that a flying Giant Critter is actually a BOSS. Of course, one of my failed mods used a Droll as a boss, only to be followed by a Red Demon-like Droll (acting like Red Demon, obviously), and with one of my mods, I may actually manage to make even a Night Spirit as a boss after turning all weapons into Level 1 (which, in one of my mods I am working on, I actually did).

In terms of the areas, most of them are complete, but most of them aren't. Those who explore would probably know, even though this is still a mod in progress - and those monsters in the old village that are kinda invisible until they start coming out? I think they're called what, Darklings? They're awesome. Even more awesome than dancing squirrels... but why DID I place "dancing squirrels"?
Spoiler

As for the Blade, that was AWESOME! Allowing for it to be a ranged AND close combat weapon, that I didn't expect. I guess the Nemesis will eventually STILL be in this mod, though. And if Curly uses the machine gun, that'll probably be in the next version. But I still like the blade... and numerous of my in-progress mods has the protagonist starting with a sword, or getting one as his or her first weapon. But a CLOSE COMBAT sword? The best way for me to imitate that is by making it short-range!

I really must admit, this (at the moment) 15-year old is actually more impressed by this mod than by any other mod I've seen so far (including that other "King's Story" mod). And seeing as this mod is awesome already, to add more awesome would probably make it super awesome. Anything that may seem offensive is not meant offensive, since I say things in my own way... and sometimes it confuses people.
The real Shane seeks the truth, I seek to ruin his reputation. And so far, I am winning. That fool and that stupid ex-girlfriend of mine will pay dearly. :mad:

#152 15 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

Dubby Offline
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"

I guess the Nemesis will eventually STILL be in this mod, though.

Actually I plan to completely replace the Nemesis with a Lightning Gun that has two shooting modes. One, shoots bolts that arc a bit randomly, but shoot in the direction you point (it'll have a conical area of effect, but will only strike one target- increased weapon levels add additional jumps). Two, charging the weapon with [Map] will ramp up the damage the more it's held, and when released it'll fire a very thick lightning bolt onto a single target, which will then split into two, arc onto two other targets, those split, etc. etc. The only downside is charging the weapon will actually consume the weapon's XP.

Also plan to do homing missiles for the missile launcher.

Still working on the Grappling Hook, though. :p

Glad you like everything so far, look forward to more.

#153 16 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

Dubby Offline

Update:

I've gotten the Grappling Hook working now. The physics seem to be stable, and the swinging motion is very smooth and fluid. Quote does do a funny little dance if you stop swinging and just let him dangle, though. Not really sure why.

Posted Image Posted Image

The update will come when Chaba's little side quest to get the Grappling Hook is done. The plan is that the Grappling Hook will be instrumental in fighting Monster-X (such as you'll be able to latch onto certain parts of the boss).

#154 23 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

#155 23 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

Dunc2403 Online
Pizza Hut Delivery Slime
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Location: LocationWoah look at this I actually have stuff here now crazy

The Grapp;ling Hook does SEEM great, but it looks different. It doesn't seem to emulate Pixel's style very well, and you're really good at doing that. I would suggest using a chain that's actually IN Cave Story already, and then use the head you used in ArmsItem or whatever, but simplify it, or switch the current actual sprite with the ArmsItem one, because the sctual sprite is usually simpler than the ArmsItem sprite. You follow?

#156 23 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

I assume that you accidentally typed the ";" there. And I agree with Dunc2403. And then I realize that I'm the only one here who hasn't finished a mod yet due to lack of graphics. And then I agree with Dunc2403. It's going to be an endless loop, so I'm gonna stop this post here. STOP.

Okay. And the horizontal chains would have to be rotated, but I think it's possible to work perfectly. As soon as the next version's playable to me, I'll go as quick as I can until I get the Grappling Hook, and see if I like it. I already like the sword :D and the Grappling Hook's going to be awesome, I can say. Anything offensive, I apologize, but I don't think it'll be offensive here. Say, will the Grappling Hook also be able to hurt enemies hit by the hook's head, or not?

EDIT:
Forgot to ask yesterday, so I'll ask today. What other weapons are you planning to replace from the original? The sparkler-weapon is the replacement of the Bubbler, I take it, and the Machine Gun is replaced by the Auto Gun. I really like the Blade, as I have mentioned in a previous post, but I miss the "bladestorm" caused by a Level 3 Blade in the original game. Will you be able to add a third firing mode, if possible? The splash damage caused by the Blade is good enough to remove numerous monsters from the area, unless they're immune or take little damage (Ballos, for example, takes 1 DMG at the Blade's edge).

Edited by Shane, 24 February 2012 - 12:04 PM.

The real Shane seeks the truth, I seek to ruin his reputation. And so far, I am winning. That fool and that stupid ex-girlfriend of mine will pay dearly. :mad:

#157 25 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

bobbyis Online
Banned
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"

If you would like to, could you put in a method of upgrading the grappling hook, from going to Metroid grapple blocks, to any block? Or would that require doing something that would not work well in game?
I set my sail, fly the wind it will take me...

#158 25 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

#159 27 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

Dubby Offline

Alrighty...

One - The grappling hook could be modified to stick to any solid block, but that was never the intention. It's nothing like the grappling hook in Terraria.

Two - The reason the chain looks the way it does is because rendering a circle is a lot easier than rendering a chain made up of longer links. Mainly because there would need to be sprites for 16 directions, and the direction would also have to be calculated, and the resulting chain could look awkward or could end up with a twitch in the sprites. So, a circular link was really the only sensible method... and a circular sprite requires less cycles to render a chain than a dot would require to render a rope or a line - which might look better, or cleaner at least.

Three - As for the grappling hook's anchor, the sprite is actually the same as the one in armsitem. It's just a different palette, and of course it has multiple directions.

Four - The grappling hook's anchor does cause damage to enemies, but it is relatively minor compared to the other weapons. As a bonus though, if you shoot a pickup item such as a heart, or missile, with the grappling hook, the pickup will be collected instantly. There are also plans for the grappling hook and Curly, such as shooting curly with the grappling hook would haul her back to quote, where she would ride on his back. Some undetermined button or combination would tell Curly to 'get off' and follow Quote instead.

Five - I've considered possibly adding a mini-map screen in the top right corner, but I am uncertain whether or not it would lag, how much it would lag, etc. In super metroid and other such games with a minimap, the images it uses are completely separate of the physical game environment, meaning a 'sub-map' of each map in the game would have to be made, stored, and accessed somehow.

And lastly... more weapons are planned. The Spur is going to remain, but will have a handy feature where the beam will be able to ricochet off of certain walls, splitting into two smaller beams when it does. I've considered the possibility of adding a charged-shot to the Autogun (would be a [Map] key function), a flamethrower effect to the Fireball (again, [Map] effect). Not sure what could be added to the Sparkler. The missile launcher is still going to get further upgrades. Two planned upgrades is a cluster-fire mechanism, where holding [Shoot] will charge the missile launcher, and releasing [Shoot] will fire multiple missiles at the same time. Note that this feature won't work with [Map] (super missiles). The second planned upgrade is a homing missile that will fire straight, scan a conical region infront of itself for enemies, change sprites if it detects one (such as a light on the missile's nosecone coming on and blinking), and then guide itself onto that enemy. Otherwise, they'd just fly straight. I've also dabbled with the idea of a freeze ray, or ice beam, and what the different aspects of that game mechanism would mean for the engine. It's easily the most complex idea. There's also going to be a speed booster type of item, and I'd like to do some type of pseudo powerbomb. I've also looked at the possibility and feasibility of a wall kick mechanism.

Edited by Dubby, 27 February 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#160 27 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

Alrighty...
One - The grappling hook could be modified to stick to any solid block, but that was never the intention. It's nothing like the grappling hook in Terraria.
Two - The reason the chain looks the way it does is because rendering a circle is a lot easier than rendering a chain made up of longer links. Mainly because there would need to be sprites for 16 directions, and the direction would also have to be calculated, and the resulting chain could look awkward or could end up with a twitch in the sprites. So, a circular link was really the only sensible method... and a circular sprite requires less cycles to render a chain than a dot would require to render a rope or a line - which might look better, or cleaner at least.
Three - As for the grappling hook's anchor, the sprite is actually the same as the one in armsitem. It's just a different palette, and of course it has multiple directions.
Four - The grappling hook's anchor does cause damage to enemies, but it is relatively minor compared to the other weapons. As a bonus though, if you shoot a pickup item such as a heart, or missile, with the grappling hook, the pickup will be collected instantly. There are also plans for the grappling hook and Curly, such as shooting curly with the grappling hook would haul her back to quote, where she would ride on his back. Some undetermined button or combination would tell Curly to 'get off' and follow Quote instead.
And lastly... more weapons are planned. The Spur is going to remain, but will have a handy feature where the beam will be able to ricochet off of certain walls, splitting into two smaller beams when it does. The missile launcher is still going to get further upgrades. Two planned upgrades is a cluster-fire mechanism, where holding [Shoot] will charge the missile launcher, and releasing [Shoot] will fire multiple missiles at the same time. Note that this feature won't work with [Map] (super missiles). The second planned upgrade is a homing missile that will fire straight, scan a conical region infront of itself for enemies, change sprites if it detects one (such as a light on the missile's nosecone coming on and blinking), and then guide itself onto that enemy. Otherwise, they'd just fly straight. I've also dabbled with the idea of a freeze ray, or ice beam, and what the different aspects of that game mechanism would mean for the engine. It's easily the most complex idea. There's also going to be a speed booster type of item, and I'd like to do some type of pseudo powerbomb. I've also looked at the possibility and feasibility of a wall kick mechanism.

The ice beam would be my second favourite weapon. And the wall-kick (or walljump, as I'm used to) is a pretty good idea.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users