Photo

Scary Story

Old topic!
Guest, the last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#11 03 June 2010 - 06:41 PM

Obonga Offline
Presidential Supporter of Greens
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

HUGE POST INCOMING

It's not hard making a mod that has some scary moments. It's all about the dialog, mostly. But the most important element that you need for a mod like this is the element mentioned by Yakkers. Ambiance. This is where the dissonance comes in; make songs that are similar to the songs in games such as Silent Hill. (Personally the original Silent Hill Soundtrack was the most disturbing) Alot of disturbing-piercing notes (obviously that doesn't rape your ears) can be useful for making songs, but remember: dissonance is the key.

Blood can be optional. Personally, I don't think little specks of blood here and there aren't very disturbing, maybe unnecessary pools and covers of blood scattered across rooms could work. If you suck at spriting, this may be a problem, it wouldn't be as scary graphics wise, but you still could pull it off.

When you make a scary mod, don't use the cavestory sprites. Try to make something else. The enemies in the game (besides a few) look a bit too innocent. Try making a few monstrosities that are soo disturbing you don't even know what the fuck it is. Making cliche zombies and demons aren't really going to make the game scary either.

Sounds also play a huge role for scary games/mods. Now this may be hard to do in Cavestory, but it's possible. I have been messing around in the "Sound Pusher" program and I managed to make some weird and loud sounds.

Make tilesets dark. Very dark. Not too dark that you can't see shit, just dark. You can pull this off if you were willing to make the graphics files either .pngs or .bmps. All you need is either Fireworks, Gimp, Photoshop or whatever program that can let you change the hue/saturation. It's best to make the tilesets have less saturation in order to make it dark and gloomy. Changing the hue could also work.

It's all up to you; I'm just giving you advice on a few aspects to make a scary mod, but if you want some help, feel free to ask. I have experienced many disturbances (Shock sites aside) in my life, mostly by really fucked up nightmares. I know it may seem weird, but trust me. :(

sBVH3ai.pngdtXvfMz.pngqPYGkZi.pnggPVq4Ul.png

#12 03 June 2010 - 11:32 PM

Mike73 Offline
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Huzzah!"

That is some pretty good advice.

I actually wouldn't be able to make this mod. I don't have the ability or time to try to figure it out and make it work. I posted this just to put together ideas for if someone were to make this.
Posted Image

Not that these forums need this sig flashed around the place as badly as my main community I'm in...

Dead Frontier: Teh Epicness
http://www.deadfrontier.com/

#13 03 June 2010 - 11:46 PM

SuperKaroshi Offline
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

After I finish working on my Rebirth of Quote with my friends, I might give it a try. That is, if it's still unfinished. I have qutie a few ideas myself.

#14 04 June 2010 - 03:11 AM

Jdude Offline
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

An idea that could work for ambiance is this: You could have the player walk through an empty room with some creepy music playing. There could be a few doors that lead to empty rooms. But, at the end of the room, you could have the player open the door to some sort of disturbing looking monster that is the first boss/enemy with a scare chord playing as you open the door to it.
Posted Image

Since when do hallucenations give you a gun?

#15 04 June 2010 - 09:55 AM

#16 04 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

WoodenRat Offline
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

We can easily achieve the unknown with a storyline.

And WoodenRat never liked you in the first place

#17 04 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

WhosTony Offline
Executive Member
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"

how about few survivors always muttering things about something like the cause of the problem or the problem itself without giving too much information to prevent the player from piecing it together.

#18 04 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

Mike73 Offline
"Huzzah!"

I have the main plot. It's pretty basic, so it can be worked off of. Here's what I made of the Opening Scene.

Spoiler

And that's how it starts. I'll post the Main Plot later, but I posted this to see how it would go so far.
Posted Image

Not that these forums need this sig flashed around the place as badly as my main community I'm in...

#19 07 June 2010 - 06:36 PM

WoodenRat Offline
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

Okay, I hope this sort of creepiness helps:

http://en.wikipedia...._Station_UVB-76
http://www.cracked.c...adcasts_p1.html

And WoodenRat never liked you in the first place

#20 07 June 2010 - 11:42 PM

Mike73 Offline
"Huzzah!"

So, like more unexplained events that happen? Like there'd be radios throughout the caves, all playing the same, creepy sound?
Posted Image

Old topic!
Guest, the last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users