Photo
- - - - -

Translating "Hacker 9" to English?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 04 October 2009 - 08:20 PM

brianbdm Offline
Veteran Member
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

I'm pretty sure most everyone here has heard of the CS mod "Hack 9." It's probably the best one ever done. The only problem is that it's in Japanese. The original one was in Japanese, too, so it's obvious that it can be translated. The only question: How? Where would we begin, as far as the software goes? It's not the actual translation that would be the problem, but how to MOD the game itself into English.

Is there anyone here with enough experience that they could fill me in on how to accomplish this? How was it done with the original Cave Story?

As far as I know, the Japanese game can't be opened with Sue's Workshop or another modding program.

If someone has already translated the game and I just haven't figured that out, I'd appreciate it if somebody would show me where to get it.

If you don't have Hack 9, you can download it (in Japanese) at:
http://www.mediafire...php?lgtyymnwb0e

Posted Image

Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight EVERYTHING with fire!

#2 04 October 2009 - 08:37 PM

Lace Offline
Lesbian Seagull
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

it isn't a mod.
or a hack.

and has nothing to do with cave story. (eg, it isn't a mod or hack of it)

as for the original purpose of this thread, I don't know.
maybe somebody more speakingly of japan could help...? (andwhy?)
Posted Image

#3 04 October 2009 - 08:38 PM

thecrown Offline
Virginia Creeper
"Keep on rollin'!"

With all the modders here, I'm sure it'd be easier than you say to add the words. This is, I think, the first mod I ever found.
Can anyone tell me what this is about?

Guys, please do this.

EDIT: Really?

#4 04 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

Sick Bastard Offline
Veteran Member

it isn't a mod.

I'm fairly certain it is.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 04 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

brianbdm Offline
Veteran Member

I expect that if it was easy to do, it would have already been done. Again, it's not the actual translation that would be difficult, but the actual putting the translation INTO the game.

Posted Image

Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight EVERYTHING with fire!

#6 04 October 2009 - 08:47 PM

Mr. Fist Offline
The Bucket Fairy
"..."

I'm fairly certain it is.

The way the files are arranged and the file types.
This looks nothing like cave story...
I am a gentleman with a Fist.

#7 04 October 2009 - 08:52 PM

Schokobecher Offline
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"

No.
It's an own game.
Just like The Underside.

Hack 9 uses MP3 and stuff.
Try that with CS.
Hacking that would not be worth it.
You could code an own game easier.

#8 04 October 2009 - 08:59 PM

Lace Offline
Lesbian Seagull

I repeat:

HACK 9 IS NOT A FREAKING MOD OF FREAKING CAVESTORY, DIPSHIZ.

File format is compressed, the code is nothing alike, and there really is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to suggest it's a mod, besides the fact that it's a platformer and you freaking shoot stuff.

So please, give me a reason to believe that it's a hack, when I have so many reasons to believe it's not.
Show me the core of your so hardly defended beliefs.
SHOW ME!

grrrr....

other stuff I'm grumpy about:
Brian capitalized mod. It's not like it's an acronym or anything.
No awesome extraordinaries are active anymore.
Nobody likes Kung Fu Panda.
My goats died.
Posted Image

#9 04 October 2009 - 09:12 PM

brianbdm Offline
Veteran Member

Regardless of whether it's a MOD or not, it would be easier to translate the game rather than to create another one from scratch. It's outward appearance and the way it functions would suggest that it's a MOD, but the files are not like Cave Story. However, the way it works WOULD suggest that it uses some sort of emulation of the physics in the original.

You can call it what you like, it's obviously a variation of Cave Story. It's not a MOD, but the point still remains: I would like to translate the game. It may not work the exact same way as the original Cave Story, but I believe it can be done.

And why would you be upset about capitalizing the name? It's a proper noun, right?

Posted Image

#10 04 October 2009 - 09:29 PM

Lace Offline
Lesbian Seagull

no, it's just a normal noun, and even if it was proper, you wouldn't capitalize the whole word.

the reason if it's a mod or not matters is because if it was a mod, it would be a buttload easier to translate, but since it isn't, it'll be harder.

Regardless of whether it's a MOD or not, it would be easier to translate the game rather than to create another one from scratch.

that was not shokos point. he was talking about whether it would've been easier for the creator of hack 9 to hack cs or to make his own game.

It's outward appearance and the way it functions would suggest that it's a MOD ... the way it works WOULD suggest that it uses some sort of emulation of the physics in the original ... it's obviously a variation of cave story.

no...?
does the fact that it's a metroidvania style game automatically make it a cs clone?
Posted Image

Old topic!
Guest, the last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users