CSTSF Boss Music Competition

Which of the two Finalists do you think should win?

• "Bridge Demon" by Safusaka

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • "Catastrophe" by TheVinylCheese

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
Jun 5, 2015 at 9:44 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
yeah it seems like a poll would be the best judging option

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:54 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Why not:
1. Create a video of all of the participant's songs so everyone can listen to them on one session.
2. Create a poll so everyone can vote once they finish listening.
3. Just let in as many participants as you can, it'd be cool to have many people show off a diverse series of songs.
4. How about once the contest is over, people who didn't win get feedback on what should be changed to their song to make it better.

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:15 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
ColdCallerloppy said:
Why not:
1. Create a video of all of the participant's songs so everyone can listen to them on one session.
2. Create a poll so everyone can vote once they finish listening.
3. Just let in as many participants as you can, it'd be cool to have many people show off a diverse series of songs.
4. How about once the contest is over, people who didn't win get feedback on what should be changed to their song to make it better.
Yeah, I'd have to say that I'm in agreement with all of this. The poll just seems like a better option overall compared to 5 select judges because it allows everyone to participate, and a video helps those who don't have orgmaker to vote.

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:08 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Random-storykeeper said:
What impact will community voting have in this competition? The judges will just look at it and see one opinion as a whole and then base it against their own personal choices, it seems. But wouldn't the judges be a partial representation of the community, anyways? It almost doesn't make sense to limit the number of participants. If there's too many, why not just make it purely judged by the community? Or are you planning to have a "judges panel" winner and "community voted" winner?
The reason why I'm having judges vote alongside the community is because there may be bias in the community, so the judges (who should be unbiased) should be able to more properly see who is a better winner. Plus, the judges should be experienced enough to appreciate every aspect of a piece, not just say "It sounds good." I think the community vote is more curiosity on my party than anything else. I think it would be interesting to see what the community says in contrast to what experienced judges might say.

EDIT: Limit on participants removed.

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:53 AM
Beakface
I'm a little concerned about the "unbiased" part. Everyone carries some form of judgement when it comes to music. It has to be looked at subjectively. The only way I see you reducing bias is if every judge was given a set of predetermined standards to judge by. These don't necessarily have to be public, but you will have a lot of trouble finding the true unbiased person because everyone's idea of a solid boss theme may vary.

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:37 PM
Random-storykeeper said:
I'm a little concerned about the "unbiased" part. Everyone carries some form of judgement when it comes to music. It has to be looked at subjectively. The only way I see you reducing bias is if every judge was given a set of predetermined standards to judge by. These don't necessarily have to be public, but you will have a lot of trouble finding the true unbiased person because everyone's idea of a solid boss theme may vary.
By bias, I mean people seeing TPcool's name and saying "Oh hey, I liked his mod, he must be great at music."

Or seeing Safusaka's name and saying, "Oh great, it's that guy. I'm not voting for HIM."

(These are just examples)

I don't think judges will do that. I suppose, however, that anyone skilled enough to judge is actually in the competition, so it's probably best not to have judges.

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:07 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I can judge, if you want. I know a thing or two about orgmaking and songmaking in general, but I don't feel like making a song for this.

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:34 AM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I can judge, if you want. I know a thing or two about orgmaking and songmaking in general, but I don't feel like making a song for this.
I've decided to remove judges and just have the community vote, sorry.

Jun 7, 2015 at 3:59 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
So for participants, our songs are to be submitted by the 27th of June and then a compilation video must be made within 5 days of the 27th?

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:32 AM
ColdCallerloppy said:
So for participants, our songs are to be submitted by the 27th of June and then a compilation video must be made within 5 days of the 27th?
Five days after the 27th is the deadline (for the video). So...by July 2nd. I don't know who wants to do that, I guess I will if necessary.

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:32 AM
Takeshi64 said:
I think this is as far as I'm going to get in this piece... The tone is probably a bit off for a boss piece but it sounds okay anyways:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swql8xh4xyatksp/Egnellahc%20anif.org?dl=0

Can't wait to see more entries. =)
Not exactly the best for a normal Cave Story boss, but there are a few bosses from mods that I've played that might fit with this. And nobody said it had to be Cave Story-specific!

Very nice, nonetheless.

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:57 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
I never made a good org before but whatever.

I'll try something, but I'll most likely need until the end of the 28th (I pretty much only get sundays to work on my own stuff anymore)

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:36 AM
Beakface
I see Takeshi64 isn't the only one spelling his composition titles backward...

And no space too! How skillful.

Also no if anyone has less of a chance of "winning" that would be yours truly.

I am losing hope in mine atm so I'll listen to these now.

"Catastrophe" - It works for me as a mellow boss theme. I know those two words don't really go well together; I think it's just the instruments that give it less of an urgent feeling for me. I love the bassline though.

"Egnellahc anif" - Woo this sounds pretty epic. I enjoy the buzz in this. The transition to the soft bits, while appreciated, feels a little too sudden. But I love the way it builds up from that quiet bit.

"yriafhtootnaissur" - Well for starters, it doesn't use the mod compatible drums, so I'm not sure if this entry still qualifies. However, that is not my call. I do like the instrument choice; it works well for the introduction. It's simple and straightforward.

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:26 PM
Jun 11, 2015 at 12:22 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
My computer's been having troubles lately, but if I get it fixed within a few days of the deadline, I'll totally make something.

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:32 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Oh yeah, and I can easily make a video if you want.

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:03 AM
hate9 said:
Oh yeah, and I can easily make a video if you want.
If you could do that when all the entries are submitted, that'd be awesome.