Shane's Old Mods

Should I continue on Cave Story: Threeway?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nov 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Yep, it's me again, posting two more mods of mine.
However, these are mods that I made when I was still learning TSC back in 2011.
They are extremely short. In fact, they are shorter than all of my main mods (of which there are five).

There is a poll - if the majority votes are for "yes" for either of the two, then I will continue with that mod instead of making a sequel to Shane's Cave Story 1. Once that gets finished.

And, if I am accidentally annoying somebody (especially the staff members of these amazingly awesome forums) then I apologize. A lot.
(Better safe than sorry, anyway)

Cave Story: Threeway
This mod was inspired by Quest for Glory 2 - which was, at the time, the only QfG game I had.
I basically forgot about this >_<"

I had planned that the player could pick one of three classes - Fighter, Magic User and Thief.
Basically, the story was the same, except for a few extra maps, and some changes... that I didn't implement because I forgot about it.

In other words, this mod is an "one map only" mod, because you can't even choose a class. :/

Fighters would have to take damage, Magic Users would have to... use magic (yes, I know I'm being "Captain Obvious" now) and Thieves would have to break in and stuff.

It's a shame I cancelled this, it sounds like it would be a good mod. Oh well.
At least the Polar Star won't do 55 damage with one shot :D

Chaos of Death
This mod was basically inspired by... Battlecruiser Millennium or something like that. Probably because the first part of the mod takes place in a spaceship.
This mod is, by far, the weirdest of all my 2011 mods, because this mod was also inspired by a weird dream that I wrote in a book. Hence the weird sidequests. :p

Unfortunately, I forgot about this mod as well, and worst of all, I managed to get myself limited to ± twenty maximum maps (more than twenty corrupts the executable) - so basically I learnt two lessons there as well: never delete all the map files, and never use the New Map / Add Map / whatever +Map button in Cave Editor! Yes, call me an idiot or a stupid teenager if you want to, I was new to modding Cave Story when I did this mod and CS Threeway.

... At least this mod has more than one room, although it's extremely annoying due to the massive amount of fake walls.
Should I work on this mod in the (far?) future - if ever - those fake walls will hopefully be fixed. In fact, I'll probably fix everything that I can fix that doesn't require the skills of ASMing (or hex-editing or whatever; I think that's the only way to fix the 20-max-maps issue).

This is also the one mod in which I learnt to resprite things, or try to draw things like health potions and spellbooks.

There would be more, but those are the only two of the ± nine mods I made last year. The third one that remains is Cave Story: Time Warp.
The rest were deleted, including one named King's Quest, which would involve King, but when I discovered that Noxid was working on King: Strife and Sacrifice, I deleted the King mod I was working on. >_<

For those of you who are interested in these rather short mods, the download links are here. With random comments.
Chaos of Death: Insanity awaits...
Cave Story: Threeway: One-room boredom... without doors that magically teleport you to the Sacred Grounds or wherever.

EDIT:
... 250th post...?
This must be a glitch... or I'm dreaming...

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't think you should bother, unless you're quite passionate about them in some way. I think that right now dividing your time between five mods is risky anyway. Focus all of your brilliant ideas into one amazing mod, instead of scattering them across all of your current mods and make them all mediocre, or worse, abandon them.
That said, your "three paths" idea sounds pretty interesting, and might make for a good mod if you can execute it properly.

Nov 11, 2012 at 4:21 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I haven't gotten a chance to play them (and I probably won't for a while because things are getting crazy busy around here), but the premises behind these mods seem pretty cool. Your modding work in the past has generally been pretty good, if memory serves, so I would say go ahead and keep up the good work if you think it will be rewarding for yourself. That said, Doors has some sound advice, also; focusing your creative energies into a single project could result in a really beautiful piece of work. Then again, if you have multiple stories that you would like to tell in many mods, by all means do so.

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I'd say that what you really need to do is pick your 1 or 2 favorites out of all of your mods, and just finish those. If you try to work on 5 or more at the same time all that's going to happen is that you're going to have 5 unfinished mods.

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM
The Eternal Darkness
I don't think you should bother, unless you're quite passionate about them in some way. I think that right now dividing your time between five mods is risky anyway.
Maybe the reason I'm dividing my time between five mods is because I like the "risky" part...
I always like challenges for some odd reason.
And another reason is at the end of this post.

Focus all of your brilliant ideas into one amazing mod, instead of scattering them across all of your current mods and make them all mediocre, or worse, abandon them.
If I focus all my brilliant ideas into a single mod, then chances are that others may not find said ideas brilliant - things that seem brilliant to me may not be brilliant to others.
Regardless, just about all my mods are mediocre-ish in the sense that there are a lot of fake walls, something that I *really* need to do something about. I shouldn't add them there just to see if I can remember where all the hundreds of secret passages are. Unless said fake wall leads to a Life Capsule that gives 15 or 45 maximum HP. I guess.

That said, your "three paths" idea sounds pretty interesting, and might make for a good mod if you can execute it properly.
Thanks.

Yay more mods. Please continue working on t h e m !
I will, if most of the people vote for "yes" in the poll.

However, if most members vote for "yes" then I'll just need to remake Chaos of Death then, because of the 20-max-map limit that I accidentally (and unknowingly) set there. :-\
But one learns stuff in that way, I guess. By playing around and seeing what's possible.

I haven't gotten a chance to play them (and I probably won't for a while because things are getting crazy busy around here), but the premises behind these mods seem pretty cool.
Thanks.

Your modding work in the past has generally been pretty good, if memory serves, so I would say go ahead and keep up the good work if you think it will be rewarding for yourself.
The only way it'll be rewarding for myself is if others like it.

That said, Doors has some sound advice, also; focusing your creative energies into a single project could result in a really beautiful piece of work. Then again, if you have multiple stories that you would like to tell in many mods, by all means do so.
With all the ideas I have, putting it in a single project couldn't work very well unless it's intentional.
Cave Story - Time Warp, my first mod, contains a lot of random sprite changes that doesn't make sense (like Ballos being pink/purple), for example, so with the random ideas I have, I either have to make a note for myself somewhere, or I have to do *something* to remind myself of it.

I'd say that what you really need to do is pick your 1 or 2 favorites out of all of your mods, and just finish those. If you try to work on 5 or more at the same time all that's going to happen is that you're going to have 5 unfinished mods.
The reason I'm working on so many mods, is because I have to keep busy. Otherwise, if I'm not busy with so many things, then I'll probably (unintentionally) annoy everyone when I'm depressed or bored, and that won't be a good thing because then I'll probably end up in major trouble, even at my forums (the moderators will probably try to ban me, with no success).

Out of all my mods, though, Shane's Cave Story 1 and Cave Story Re:coded are my favourites, but I'd have to wait before I can work on them because Randolf is helping me with the ASMing of those mods.

I think I'm starting to hate Google Chrome... :/

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Professional Whatever
The only way it'll be rewarding for myself is if others like it.
Fuck others. Make what you want to make, and have fun doing it. If someone doesn't like your story, then who cares? At least you like it.
Now on the other hand, giving advice is different. If someone wants to help you improve the quality of your mod, then it's a good idea to listen to them.

The reason I'm working on so many mods, is because I have to keep busy. Otherwise, if I'm not busy with so many things, then I'll probably (unintentionally) annoy everyone when I'm depressed or bored, and that won't be a good thing because then I'll probably end up in major trouble, even at my forums (the moderators will probably try to ban me, with no success).
Then keep yourself busy with one mod. It's not hard to spend tons of time on one mod, especially if you try and make it as good as possible.

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Fuck others. Make what you want to make, and have fun doing it. If someone doesn't like your story, then who cares?
Well said George Lucas!

:chin:

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I just realized right now how hilarious of a title "Cave Story: Threeway" is. You should make this mod, but look further into the meaning of the name before making it :momo:

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM
The Eternal Darkness
MagicDoors said:
Fuck others.
Randolf would agree with you.

MagicDoors said:
Make what you want to make, and have fun doing it. If someone doesn't like your story, then who cares? At least you like it.
If there was two computers at home, I'd have fun doing anything, because I always get interrupted by someone who I consider an idiot...
Anyway, you're right.
If nobody likes the story, who cares other than the one who made it?

MagicDoors said:
Now on the other hand, giving advice is different. If someone wants to help you improve the quality of your mod, then it's a good idea to listen to them.
... The truth is... the truth.

MagicDoors said:
Then keep yourself busy with one mod. It's not hard to spend tons of time on one mod, especially if you try and make it as good as possible.
Depends on which mod it is.
SCS is temporarily on hold due to the part that comes after the extended ending's boss (which caused the credits to be removed from the end).
CS - TW is... cancelled because I'm working on its remake... eventually. :\
SotS is also on hold, until I can figure out where I put the book where I planned version 0.0.0.5's events...
CS:Recoded is on hold as well, at least until the Twinblades glitch is fixed.
TCoI, I'm working on when I'm not working on my RPG. I still have to find a way to get around a (Cave Editor-related?) glitch that prevents the start point being at 215, 16 (because that prevents me from testing a forest area, because somehow I end up spawning outside of the map boundaries :muscledoc: ) and I still have to get into a "mod mood" again. Right now, I'm in a "play video games until boredom" mood...

Duke Serkol said:
Well said George Lucas!

:chin:
... I must be the worst person ever, to not even know who that is :/
Guess as soon as I post this I should go find out.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I just realized right now how hilarious of a title "Cave Story: Threeway" is. You should make this mod, but look further into the meaning of the name before making it :momo:
Well, I was still learning modding, and I was afraid then to mess with the flags.
Now, CS3Way does sound silly, so when I do make it, I'll probably allow the members to pick for a name by using a poll.
"<insert video game name here>-style" has been done too many times, as far as I know (so "Cave Story: Quest for Glory style" is out of the question for me)

Off-topic-ish...
Because how the "More Reply Options" button redirects to the main page, I dunno. Must be Chrome messing up everything... :/