How do you change the font size in Cave Story?

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I do not believe that anyone has covered this topic before, so I am going to ask: How do you change the font size in Cave Story? I am planning to edit all of Cave Story's scripts so that it matches the official translation from Cave Story on WiiWare, Cave Story on DSiWare, and Cave Story+.

I have to do so in order to fit messages into the textbox without breaking up the lines. I have tried to change the font myself using a hex editor, but the size does not change because Cave Story automaticaly monospaces everything. How can I achieve this?

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I am planning to edit all of Cave Story's scripts so that it matches the official translation from Cave Story on WiiWare, Cave Story on DSiWare, and Cave Story+.

Are you planning to release this to the community? If so, it kind of sort of is.. well... you know. Illegal. Mostly because the translated script is owned by Nicalis, violates rule 14 of distributing copywrited content

Also, what about editing the script so it fits into the lines? That's usually the better option if it isn't possible to change the font size.

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
And also the fact that the official translation is rubbish anyway so why would you want it

Anyway there are some hardcoded things that cause the characters to be printed individually a certain distance apart regardless of the font in use (unless TUR is used) and it would be both difficult and problematic to change its workings.

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:20 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Seriously that translation is worse in almost every way. Why would you even want to do that?
:S

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:48 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Seriously that translation is worse in almost every way. Why would you even want to do that?
:S
And also the fact that the official translation is rubbish anyway so why would you want it
It's better in some, worse in others. If you rewrote the more flavourful AGTP translation to the meaning and intent of the more accurate Nicalis translation then you would actually have a translation that does Cave Story justice. Well that's my opinion on the matter in any case.

The only reason you prefer the AGTP translation is because you started out with it, it feels right and natural to you because it had grown on you, while any deviation from this feels wrong. Please keep in mind that for anyone starting with the Nicalis translation that feels the most natural to them with the AGTP translation feeling wrong to them. It goes both ways. Your feelings on the matter are not representative of everyone just because a bunch of people agree with you.

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:53 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Erm... Forgot about that legal stuff. I feel dumb... :(

Thanks.

The English Translation Patch by AGTP was never meant to be taken as the official translation. Now that there is an official translation, why not reword all the things so that the English version is accurate? Though there's not much of a difference, there is debate between the two translations and I believe that the later is better and more accurate simpily because it's official: The one by AGTP is just a direct Japenese translation and tweaked so that it is proper English. Similar to how people create patches of the Pokemon games that make them English but isn't accurate. It's all about accuracy and I'm tired of seeing people debate between "Huzzah!" and "Oh yeah!". I know it's useless, but whatever.

I actually did not begin with the Nicalis translation but it clears my point. Now that there's an official translation, why not use that instead? There's nothing wrong with the one by AGTP but I feel that to have people debate over the two is meaningless. I want to rid that.

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:22 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
It's all about accuracy and I'm tired of seeing people debate between "Huzzah!" and "Oh yeah!". I know it's useless, but whatever.
Actually both "Huzzah!" and "Oh yeah!" are inaccurate as the original cry "Doryaaa!!" has no suitable English equivalent.

The English Translation Patch by AGTP was never meant to be taken as the official translation. Now that there is an official translation, why not reword all the things so that the English version is accurate? Though there's not much of a difference, there is debate between the two translations and I believe that the later is better and more accurate simpily because it's official: The one by AGTP is just a direct Japenese translation and tweaked so that it is proper English. Similar to how people create patches of the Pokemon games that make them English but isn't accurate.
A translation that is too literal can suffer. Translation is an art, not a science.While the Nicalis translation is accurate, it feels wooden and flat at times, the meaning is preserved but some of the the flavour of the dialogue is lost.

Disregarding the AGTP translation just because it's not official is just foolish.

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:09 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
That's really not what I meant by official... but I understand.