RPGmaker General Discussion

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Was looking into RPGmaker games again, and there are just so many hidden gems waiting to be found.
I don't know how much people know about them, so I thought I might start a topic here~

Feel free to recommend, discuss any RPGmaker games, I might even make a master list on this first post eventually, but for now; I will just do a little at a time.

To play free RPGmaker games, you will need the corresponding RPGmaker RTP (package with all the resources)
http://crankeye.com/?page=downloads

Desert Nightmare
8/10
Length : A Day?
A horror adventure about a girl stuck in a quiet town... with no way out... Kind of like a horror movie.
dne1ok3.png

Download : http://rpgmaker.net/...ms/topics/2421/
Engine : RPGmaker 2000

Desert Nightmare is a nice German RPGmaker game that's been translated into english. It's pretty compelling, and it feels like a decent horror movie; although it didn't seem that scary to me. I highly recommend it, for a dark adventure!
Tell me what you think~

On the flipnote, there are really bad RPGmaker games... but they can be amusing :
WARNING : ABSURDITY

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I think there's six RPGs that are in the same series, think it's called "The Way"... The main character is Rhue, and that's all I can recall...

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Indie game enthusiast
I think there's six RPGs that are in the same series, think it's called "The Way"... The main character is Rhue, and that's all I can recall...
Ohhhh yes, The Way is one of my favorites, actually! (It's up there in my all time favorite RPGs...)
Here...

The Way
9/10
Length : Weeks
A very original fantasy RPG that excels at creating a compelling world with strong characters; in a very dark story. (There are options to skip battles and the mini-games.)

Alternate youtube song :
Download : http://www.crestfall...s/download.html
Alternate Download : http://rpgmaker.net/games/507/
Engine : RPGmaker 2000

The Way is a pretty dark story though, and it does start kind of slow. But, by episode 2 you should start to be sucked into this detailed world. Not for everyone, but I'm not the only one that calls this game a masterpiece...
AWARDS
2003 Misao Awards: The Way (Episodes 1-3)
-Best game of the year
-Best Dungeons
-Best Individual Character - Rhue

2004 Misao Awards: The Way (Episodes 4-5)
Best game of the year
Best cast
Best CMS
Best character
Best graphics
Best dialogue
Best game series
Best minigame, 2004
Best music, 2004
Best plot, 2004
Best coded game
Best villain
Best supporting character
Most mysterious character
Most technically advanced game

2005 Misao Awards: The Way (Episode 6)
-Most promising story
-Darkest story
-Most dramatic way
-Best opening sequence
-Best non-clichéd game
-Best pacing game
-Best dialogue
-Game that Best Plays with Your Emotions
-Best story, 2005
-Most mysterious character

Games with those Misao awards are usually very good.

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:17 AM
The Eternal Darkness
The RPG Maker site... I think that's where I got some RPGs like The Way, Pokémon Topaz, Throne's Ascension, Eternal Destiny (RPG Maker 2003, I think), Fallen Wings, Master of Souls, Bloodsphere...

And there's a ton of secrets in The Way too, which makes it hard, and I like hard games, so it's one of my favourite RPGs too!
And I beat it in two days, with the Plunge Cheat set to On, and mini-games and battles skipped. And numerous secrets ignored...
But now, I'm trying to go through it all over again, with battles and minigames skipped (well, numerous of the hard ones).

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:31 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I've got RPG maker 2003. It's so cool. I'm kind of stuck though.

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Indie game enthusiast
The RPG Maker site... I think that's where I got some RPGs like The Way, Pokémon Topaz, Throne's Ascension, Eternal Destiny (RPG Maker 2003, I think), Fallen Wings, Master of Souls, Bloodsphere...
Oh... I haven't heard of any of those... I will have to get them next!

...I ended up downloading every RPG that had a 3.5 star or better on RPGmaker.net lol That was a lot of games...

Shane said:
And there's a ton of secrets in The Way too, which makes it hard, and I like hard games, so it's one of my favourite RPGs too!
And I beat it in two days, with the Plunge Cheat set to On, and mini-games and battles skipped. And numerous secrets ignored...
But now, I'm trying to go through it all over again, with battles and minigames skipped (well, numerous of the hard ones).
Two days!! ...It took me like 400 hours... :o But, I did have battles and mini-games on, plus finished all secrets and endings.
(Well, except for Kloe's slightly longer ending (requires a lot of points towards Kloe))
Getting the best outcome for some of those mini-games was TOUGH!
Like that cannon mini-game... geez....

I managed to do it, but it took its toll on my sanity! xD

Lexus <3

Kanpachi said:
I've got RPG maker 2003. It's so cool. I'm kind of stuck though.
What are you stuck on? :momo:

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:51 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I can't post it, i'm not on a file sharing website yet, but in my game (my first attempt at games) theres this bit where you rescue a little girl from a volcano, but i can't find a way to make her follow the hero back to her village.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:27 PM
The Eternal Darkness
X-Calibar said:
Oh... I haven't heard of any of those... I will have to get them next!

...I ended up downloading every RPG that had a 3.5 star or better on RPGmaker.net lol That was a lot of games...

How many games, precisely? I guess more than a hundred?

X-Calibar said:
Two days!! ...It took me like 400 hours... :o But, I did have battles and mini-games on, plus finished all secrets and endings.
(Well, except for Kloe's slightly longer ending (requires a lot of points towards Kloe))
Getting the best outcome for some of those mini-games was TOUGH!
Like that cannon mini-game... geez....

I managed to do it, but it took its toll on my sanity! xD

Lexus <3

EVERY SECRET!?
The Way Episode 6 I'm stuck with the underwater puzzle. And I even went and got a walkthrough for it at GameFAQs. Didn't help, since I'm still struggling there. I did, however, manage to get Slade, and some others. Well, just goes to show, you're better than me. At least I know what's the reward.
The ability to have Lexus join the party.
I really hated that puzzle with the lights that can only be activated in a certain order, which all twelve has to be lit. I hate that puzzle. If I could, I'd make it a riddle, even harder maybe.

Oh, and is Pokémon Topaz included? And I've heard of Pokémon Steel, even downloaded it (didn't work any time I tried), and deleted it. Have to keep free space on my computer if I want to make new Pokémon only to place on my desktop (like a multiplication and division version of Plusle and Minun: Multiplo and Divida). And to install new games and to make more Cave Story mods. Could you make a list of all those games you downloaded? I'd like to see whether it may be something I'm interested in. I even have two Dragon Ball Z RPGMaker games from that site... but now I'll end here. I just hope I don't end up adding pastry as an enemy in a CS mod...

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:21 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Kanpachi said:
I can't post it, i'm not on a file sharing website yet, but in my game (my first attempt at games) theres this bit where you rescue a little girl from a volcano, but i can't find a way to make her follow the hero back to her village.

Ooo... Sounds interesting... I wanted to make a RPGmaker game... But, after I lost most of my work I kind of gave up on that project...
Mmmmm, what's the name of your first game? :D

Shane said:
How many games, precisely? I guess more than a hundred?
Somewhere in the 80s, but I've only played through a handful of them...

I downloaded all the RPGmaker games that I could with those ratings (from that particular site); that were complete; and my second pass downloading got hopefully most of the good rated demos. This doesn't account for RPGs with no ratings though... If it's new or if nobody reviewed it yet.

EVERY SECRET!?

Well most I hope! I didn't miss many on my own, but I checked online to hopefully catch all I missed in the game.
(Like hidden cutscenes that have nothing to do with the story...) There's one really neat one that you can only get by editing the game in rpgmaker... Although it's on youtube now! Do you know that one?

Hmmm the underwater puzzle? Is that the one where monsters grab you if you get caught; causing it reset?
That one didn't seem too bad... There was some patterns that seemed to work pretty well I think...

...but... the LIGHT puzzle was a NIGHTMARe! I only got lucky on that one, pushing buttons randomly eventually opened the left door... >< I couldn't get it any other way lol

Oh, and is Pokémon Topaz included?
Nope... I found a site that has a demo? of Pokemon Topaz, (RpgRevolution.com)
It has a lott of games that I haven't tried... But, almost all the ratings are 3 stars. So... I can't really judge the games by ratings on that site.

And I've heard of Pokémon Steel, even downloaded it (didn't work any time I tried), and deleted it. Have to keep free space on my computer if I want to make new Pokémon only to place on my desktop (like a multiplication and division version of Plusle and Minun: Multiplo and Divida). And to install new games and to make more Cave Story mods. Could you make a list of all those games you downloaded? I'd like to see whether it may be something I'm interested in. I even have two Dragon Ball Z RPGMaker games from that site... but now I'll end here. I just hope I don't end up adding pastry as an enemy in a CS mod...
Mmmm I'm running out of space slowly as well... >< I am backing up everything on my external drive though :D
Here... I put together a quick list of all the ... files/games I downloaded, the ones with a number in front I've rated; and the select few with a * at the end, I've played all the way through.
1 die2dance
1 The Sound of Flames
3 Wither*
4 Castle Quest
5 Aurora Wing
5 Befuddle Quest 2
5 Reminiscence
6 Alter Aila
6 Intelligence 0.9.1
6 Its a good to be a pirate
6 Lexico-hi
6 Onyx
6 WorldOutside
6 One Night (Build 4)
6.5 Cartographer
7 Finding Eden
7 Leo & Leah
7 Schwombo*
7 Alter Aila Genesis
7 Balmung Cycle
7 Maranda
7 McLogic
7 Rubi
7 Starless Umbra
7 The Tiamat Sacrament
7 tsugunai_en
7 Zero Base
7 zombies
7.5 Lost Legacy
7.5 Your_Star_v2.2
8 Star Stealing Prince Full V.1.0*
8 Backstage II Demo2*
8 fey 2012
8 Necropolis Part I*
8 Desert Nightmare (English)*
8 Ribbon_RPG*
8 Skye
8 Vacant Sky Vol 1 Contention
8.5 blurline*
9 Love and War Ep1*
9 Forever's End*
Avarice
Castle Chase
CestLavie (Love and War bonus)
Chrono Alter - Full Game
Death Proclaimed II
Dhux_Scar
HerosRealmRTP
Idolcraft
Its a good to be a pirate [ multilang ]
Land of the Dead
Legionwood
Loveand24 (Love and War bonus)
Sainth
U.S.G.~ A New Beginning ~
Wraith
Romancing Walker
Sore Losers
Sunset Over Imdahl
The Frozen World
Three the Hard Way
Visions and Voices
[New]Pirates
=ANISC= [Demo Version].zip
ADT_demo.exe
Amulet of Athos_1.rar
Backstage.rar
EMDE2_Craze.zip
Guild Raider!_9.zip
Heartache 101 v1.2 test.zip
Heartache 101 v1.3.exe
Infinity RPG 2.0.rar
Jay's Journey
Kryberia.exe
moby_housekeeper.rar
Monstrous Wars-Redux-RSD.rar
One Night 2 (Build 3.1).exe
One Night Full Circle (Build 3.1)_2.exe
push.zip
Rework The Dead : Evil
Tears_of_Reality_non-RTP_demo.zip
tinaofthestars_demov2.2.rar
WilfredTheHeroPart1.zip
World's Dawn.rar
ZS_TWS.zip
My ratings are skewed towards my interests though...
For example "wither" which I rated a 3, is really well put together... But, it was just a random depressing game that I wish I hadn't played.
While Schwombo which I rated a 7, is... sort of ridiculously put together lol But, it was a lot more enjoyable.

Mmmm Pastry....
and whew long post.

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Heh...
It's called the pickles of pickleton.:p

Feb 26, 2012 at 9:18 AM
The Eternal Darkness
X-Calibar said:
Well most I hope! I didn't miss many on my own, but I checked online to hopefully catch all I missed in the game.
(Like hidden cutscenes that have nothing to do with the story...) There's one really neat one that you can only get by editing the game in rpgmaker... Although it's on youtube now! Do you know that one?

Hmmm the underwater puzzle? Is that the one where monsters grab you if you get caught; causing it reset?
That one didn't seem too bad... There was some patterns that seemed to work pretty well I think...

...but... the LIGHT puzzle was a NIGHTMARe! I only got lucky on that one, pushing buttons randomly eventually opened the left door... >< I couldn't get it any other way lol
Nope... That underwater puzzle is timed, and when I'm under pressure, I think slower, wasting time. Maybe opening the menu should help, since it may as well pause the game. That light puzzle was a nightmare. I had to write the sequence down as I randomly pulled levers, and eventually the door opened. After trying for a week (my second playthrough). There should have been a clue or something in a previous episode, maybe. And is Kloe really able to join the party in Episode 6?

Throne's Ascension is fun. A player can pick one of five characters, who has the quest to become king or queen after a wall or something breaks and rebuilds itself. I recall a soldier, a mage, an elf, and the other two are blanks, but they aren't related to the king who died. However, it really becomes hard, meaning a lot of training.

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Here's another game I want to point out :

Star Stealing Prince
8.5/10
Length : Days?
A tale of a happy kingdom ruled by a happy prince. ... But, when he learns of a girl in trouble ...

Engine : RPGmaker VX
Download : http://rpgmaker.net/games/3554/

I just finished Star Stealing Prince last night, and this one is really wonderful. It's not your everyday epic world story. It's focused on one kingdom and its prince... I'd call it a cross from a fairy tale, an anime and a novel. It's very polished and I heartily recommend it.
Be warned of two things : The battles can be difficult if you aren't prepared! And a few people such as myself encounter random crashes in the game. But, most people don't.
It might start out slow, but explore the town, talk to the people... get a feel for the world. I don't think you'll regret it~!

@Kanpachi - :o Pickles! You should put a tounge twister in there...

@Shane - You don't get a playable Kloe in Ep6...
If you can't get past the underwater puzzle, I might be able to video it or even play it for you if you want to send the save file :o Otherwise... I know you can do itttttttt!

Throne's Ascension ... Mmmm; I downloaded it for later :D

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:11 PM
How will I be able to upload my game?

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Indie game enthusiast
How will I be able to upload my game?

You could upload it to a site like www.Mediafire.com ...
If you use that site, you don't have to register your e-mail or anything;
Just go to the front page and click Upload or something like that... Then when the popup for uploading stuff appears, click the + and it should let you select a file to upload. Then hit upload and wait for it to finish....

Copy the link and you're done!

However, if you don't register; you won't be able to remove that file, if you decide you don't want it up there...
There are lots of other sites too, if you want to register a free account.
I use : http://www.host-a.net/ for real small files that you may want to update or delete.

EDIT: Oh and make sure you zip up the files or compress the archive or something [RPGmaker VX has a compress data option]

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:43 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/?wccgpnivu8jnt8j

I've got roughly 10 seconds of gameplay. ;P
I apologise for the whole 'ailsa dies of candyfloss overdose' story in the school. That was for my candyfloss-obsessed sister.
I am stuck on the bit after you rescue Ilse. She follows you to the door and then she just dissapears! :(
whhhyyyy????

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:53 PM
The Eternal Darkness
@Shane - You don't get a playable Kloe in Ep6... If you can't get past the underwater puzzle, I might be able to video it or even play it for you if you want to send the save file :o Otherwise... I know you can do itttttttt! Throne's Ascension ... Mmmm; I downloaded it for later :D
Well, being persistent is one of my strong points and one of my weak points. Being persistent allowed me to beat La Mulana in two days (the untranslated version, even), so maybe I'll eventually figure out a pattern, although the enemies always go to uncontrollable areas... but if you could video it, it would be nice. :)

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Indie game enthusiast
http://www.mediafire...wccgpnivu8jnt8j

I've got roughly 10 seconds of gameplay. ;P
I apologise for the whole 'ailsa dies of candyfloss overdose' story in the school. That was for my candyfloss-obsessed sister.
I am stuck on the bit after you rescue Ilse. She follows you to the door and then she just dissapears! :(
whhhyyyy????
I downloaded it! But... I can't play it... RPGmaker 2003 it looks like...?

To send the game probably do it like this :
While your project is open in RPG Maker 2003, goto Project tab, and select Create Gamedisk
Then use the [...] option to choose someplace, to create the gamedisk...
Example : C:\Documents and Settings\Myself\My Documents
Then I add :
C:\Documents and Settings\Myself\My Documents\RPGmaker
(That is I added \RPGmaker or \MyNewGame to the end of the file path...)
Next, hit Begin!

It should make the Game where you told it to make it. Now go find it, explore to
C:\Documents and Settings\Myself\My Documents
and you should see the folder called RPGmaker or MyNewGame or however you called it....

Now you need to send that whole folder to play the game... To do that, you need to zip it up, or compress it somehow.
.... You need a free program like Winrar, or 7zip.
http://www.win-rar.com/download.html
http://www.7-zip.org/

Windows might be able to compress it without downloading a program (but I don't know how... it would be under right click menu, on the game folder)...

Once you have the program to zip it installed; you should be able to right click the game folder and see the option Add to archive, or zip it up or something...

THAT's FINALLY IT! Now send that new file to mediafire and you're finally done... It's easier after the first time.

@Shane, I don't have the game installed... but if I happen to have it backed up I might give it a shot :o
Persistance is key! It's a good quality~ And I never played La Mulana yet...

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Ok, I'll have to do that tomorrow. :)

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:17 PM
The Eternal Darkness
@Shane, I don't have the game installed... but if I happen to have it backed up I might give it a shot :o
Persistance is key! It's a good quality~ And I never played La Mulana yet...
The link to the La Mulana wiki (http://lamulana.super-turbo.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page). There's a link that downloads the game. I think Aeon Genesis made the English patch of that game too, and I actually decided to play La Mulana from the beginning sometime soon, without exiting unless I have to shut the computer down. That will mean a few days that I won't visit the forums, but if I can beat the game, maybe I could put my victory time here. Of course, I'm only going to rush through it, getting everything needed to be able to win, and it is hard. If you think of downloading it and playing it, be prepared for a hard challenge.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:20 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
What? This thread... But. Midterms. Must Resist.

*Downloads Everything*