Has no one really heard of it?

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:17 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I love this game so goddamn much

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:19 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Oh cool, it's available for Mac OSX (hopefully it's it is Universal :o). I might will give this a try.
I'm so excited to play this tomorrow.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM
"Huzzah!"
What's that? Can I get given a description or detail on the game?

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:01 AM
Been here way too long...
Stop calling it a game.
It's not a game.
It's called a visual novel. And I do not love it, Wild Desu, I just read it is all.

Alright fine, you win. It's great. Its breathtaking artwork and masterful storytelling are unparalleled.
See, she is clearly sad.

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:08 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I've seen /v/ jerking off over this game for month now. Can somebody tell me what it has that makes it so special compared to other VN's? Is it some big joke or something?

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:41 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Can somebody tell me what it has that makes it so special compared to other VN's? Is it some big joke or something?

See this is the question I want answered to. People seem to be treating it like it's the greatest thing ever, but as far as I know all the people who are saying these things haven't played any other VN's.

Feb 6, 2012 at 5:17 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
It's special because all the characters have disabilities (no pun intended). I guess that's its unique element. I think the creators didn't wanna settle for a typical dating sim, and decided to add a twist to it.

And hey, the only other VN I've played is Saya no Uta, but I can still say I enjoy the game, right? It may be pretty overrated now but still. Doesn't make it a bad game.

But of course, fanbases give people bad impressions. Guess you could say the same things about ponies and homestuck

Feb 6, 2012 at 5:36 AM
Well as a matter of fact, Desu, the creators set out with the six main characters in mind. That was their inspiration.

As for you, GIR, I don't see why one has to play multiple visual novels to declare that Katawa Shoujo is a good read. I enjoyed it, why does my enjoyment have to be qualified by comparing it to other works?

Katawa Shoujo is a collection of stories about five (six?) girls and some dumbass who falls in love with whichever girl you choose. All of the stories are heartwarming and emotional or some shit. One chick, for example, has burns all over her body and she's all shy and you, of course, are like "AWWWWW" and it's a fucking masterpiece.

If I can like this over-hyped pile of melodramatic weeaboo chow enough to publicly defend it, then I would say it's definitely worth trying because I'm the last person I thought would enjoy it.

Feb 6, 2012 at 5:38 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Hmm.
I think I'll just stick to Morenatsu.

Feb 6, 2012 at 5:45 AM
I googled that, and was disappointed to find that it's not exactly my cup of tea.
Well, I guess if it has absolutely stellar writing I could give it a look.

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:01 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I love how you always post in such a cynical and scathing way, just to hide how much of a softie you are. Trying to keep up appearances as the forum asshole.

Anyway...

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:17 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Yeah I've played read it. Finished all campaigns. I didn't find it very emotionally touching or anything though.
I'd have to say that Lilly is my favourite character. Still, it's a great visual novel and a masterpiece.

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:56 AM
JiNXeD you have no soul.

Fine GIR, afraid of hype?
How about this:
I like this game a bunch, it isn't my style of game at all, but it was good enough to keep me playing for multiple arcs. You should try it.

Yakkers, I don't care if you play it or not, but keep in mind that people recommend things to you for a reason: because they think you'd like it. If you choose to disregard that, that's fine, but remember that people aren't trying to get you to play some horrible visual novel that's a waste of time, we all genuinely enjoyed it.
So what I'm saying is: I really care if you play this or not.

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
This is my favorite thing ever, it's getting more hype than other VNs because it's well written, has amazingly deep characters, touching storylines, great music, and it doesn't cost you a goddamn penny. Go playing this game right now, it'll be one of the best things you'll ever do.
See this is another issue I have. You're so enthusiastic about this game that it scares me. It's giving me a bit of Hype Aversion, especially now hearing that /v/ is all over it.

Regardless I've broken down and started playing this thing. I'll have more to say once I finish.

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Jesus H. Christ does this thread have to appear on every forum I'm on :muscledoc:

I've seen /v/ jerking off over this game for month now. Can somebody tell me what it has that makes it so special compared to other VN's? Is it some big joke or something?
It was made by 4chan and therefore gets disproportionate levels of attention regardless of how samey it is

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Because a lot of people like it...?
You're right GIR, I think I'll tone it down a bit. Do you think you could edit your quote though? Wouldn't be much use in changing it if everyone just saw your post next.

And you're completely right, DoubleThink! This game got unreal amounts of hype with the whole "made by 4chan" bit. That always made me laugh, though. 22 guys who met on 4chan and made this game doesn't really constitute as "made by 4chan" in my books, but I suppose the hype is good.
And yeah, this game would still receive a possibly too good reception based on that, even if it were samey piece of crap. Fortunately, I couldn't care less who made it, and I really did enjoy this game because it broke the mold of Visual Novels, which I've always had aversion to.

If you don't play it, that's your business, but I think that maybe getting out of your shell and trying something your friends like would result in you enjoying yourself :3
I mean, what's the worst that could happen? You could play a game for an hour, hate it, uninstall it, and sleep peacefully with the certainty that you're not missing out. I'd say that's a pretty fair deal :p

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
JiNXeD you have no soul.

I wouldn't say so exactly. I'm more emotionally touched by more real-time tragedies. Like when I left Curly to die the first time I played Cave Story, and then when I realised that I could've saved her. I just felt guilty. Katawa Shoujo is a pretty slow-paced novel, and I don't get that touched from reading, unless it's something personal. I still wouldn't cry over a game, unless it was something very special that had something which made me very interested in it.