I'm working my way through this mod for the first time -- just made it to grasstown.
My initial thoughts
- Combat difficulty requires you to slow down and think a little bit. This contrasts with the original game where you can pretty much just blow through everything. I like this most of the time but sometimes the enemies seem spammy. Particularly when you have a ton of those little blue critters jammed into a jagged narrow passage (wtf?)
- Maps are huge and exploration is a big part of the game. One flaw I think might be that sometimes the map is *too* open, as in it is sometimes possible to get to some places that you probably aren't supposed to get to until later, or places you are supposed to get to via a different route. There are some places in the egg corridor, and in the cave between mimiga village and grasstown, where you can get to a place or take a shortcut that would normally be inaccessible, by jumping up and intentionally getting hit by an enemy to boost you up an extra block. I find myself going "against the grain" sometimes
- Bosses are challenging but good
- I am beginning to despise those blocks that crumble underneath you. Especially when they look like regular blocks at first
- The solution to the egg corridor room needs to be less obscure. I found it by myself but I spent way too much time trying to figure it out until I got lucky. The clue from Chthulu was important but I think there needs to be something else
- The game majorly glitched when in the area where you activate the wind tunnel, I dropped to the bottom before activating it. Basically I wasn't able to move and had to reset