At first, I thought it was just a random mod of (the most exalted, beloved) Cave Story, so I Googled it and found it's home page.
I downloaded it.
It ain't a mod, but it is about the cheesiest rip of CS I've ever seen.
List of commonalities:
- Both games are sidescrolling RPG platformers (Green alert)
- Both games feature amnesia (Yellow alert)
- Both games have enemies that drop bouncing crystal things (Red alert)
- Both games have signs that provide information (Green alert)
- Both games have deathtrap spikes (Green alert)
- Both games feature those little red damage numbers (Red alert)
- Both games have save points and life refilers (Green alert)
- Both games have destroyable blocks (Green alert)
- Both games are set on a floating location (Yellow alert)
- Both games have enemies that drop hearts (Green alert)
- Both games feature near identacle controls (A/S weapon change, Z/X Jump/Shoot, D-pad) (Red alert)
- Both have a life-capsule type thing (though in US, it's called "Life Toast") (Green alert)
However, there are some differences:
- Cave Story has a remarkable physics engine that shows inertia very well
(Underside lacks this)
- Cave Story is a full working game.
(Underside isn't, it's a preview)
Also, in the readme, it (though not explicitly) claims to be better than Cave Story!
To Arms, Comnrads!
So, with all they have in common, and so little difference (apart from graphics, though similar... Very...), I have to call Underside a clone and a Red-level threat to Cave Story-dom.
But, this is just a 4:30 AM rant.
If you want to try it,
No need to point out I'm biased, I just love Cave Story...
More than you could understand...